IGNORED

Proper procedure for checking oil level

Dave P

R1100RT- What is the proper procedure for checking oil level through the sight glass on my RT?

It's always seemed kinda vague to me and I'd rather not overfill it.

Thanks, Dave

R1100RT- What is the proper procedure for checking oil level through the sight glass on my RT?

It's always seemed kinda vague to me and I'd rather not overfill it.

Thanks, Dave

Afternoon Dave

The PROPER way is spelled out in your riders manual.

But there are a number of unofficial ways including some dance steps so I'm sure if you stay tuned you will get some special steps including some dance steps.

1) Your bike must be fully warmed up - 5 bars on the temp gauge.

2) It must be on a level surface.

3) Put it on the side stand while you take off your gear.

4) Put it on the center stand.

5) Read the sight glass.

I don't add oil until it gets down to 1/4 glass.

Adding 8 oz equals half a sight glass. I never add more than this.

This procedure has worked well for me.

Edited by TheOtherLee

I used to give it a couple minutes on the side stand,had heard past suggestions of up to 5-10 minutes,then a couple minutes on centerstand to let everything settle.

This process usually works best at end of day,or at a meal break.

Hexhead and later bikes oil level check is thankfully shorter.

JR356

Thanks for the helpful advice. I did look in the manual the other night and it just says to put it on the center stand and check the sight glass. Don't think it mentions warm engine or cold.

I've heard the side stand 5 minutes after warmed up, then up on center stand, wait 5 minutes, then check oil level technique. Has to do with the oil cooler draining, right? Does it make a difference to have front tire vs. rear tire touching the ground? (manual says nothing about this).

I'll employ this procedure going forward. Thanks again! Dave

Thanks for the helpful advice. I did look in the manual the other night and it just says to put it on the center stand and check the sight glass. Don't think it mentions warm engine or cold.

I've heard the side stand 5 minutes after warmed up, then up on center stand, wait 5 minutes, then check oil level technique. Has to do with the oil cooler draining, right? Does it make a difference to have front tire vs. rear tire touching the ground? (manual says nothing about this).

I'll employ this procedure going forward. Thanks again! Dave

Morning Dave

Yes, the side stand time allows for more oil drainback from the oil cooler. The BIG question is: do you want total oil drainback from the oil cooler as obviously BMW doesn't set it's oil level recommendation to include full oil cooler drain back. I do have a BMW service bulletin on proper oil level checking that says with hot engine then 5 minutes on the center stand before checking but no mention of time on the side stand first.

oilcooler3_zps69f508d9.jpg

Edited by dirtrider

Dirtrider - brilliant tip about oil-cooler drain down on the side-stand. Great fotos.

AL in s.e. Spain, where the bike is always almost as warm as if you'd just come back from a ride...

Stan Walker

The BIG question is: do you want total oil drainback

Are you suggesting that we want to avoid complete drainback?

If so, what do you suggest we do to get consistency on days we want to check the oil level?

A) Always put the bike on the center stand before shutting down the engine.

B) Don't use the side stand at all. Makes for an interesting dismount for short legged people.

C) Establish a not to exceed time on the side stand and don't check the oil level if you took more time getting it off the side stand.

The whole purpose of the "rain dance" was to establish a consistent way to check the oil level. The early R1100RT's were prone to giving different readings each time you checked the oil level if you didn't.

Keeping in mind that the early R1100RT's had both an oil cooler and the oil thermostat external to the engine.

As always

Stan

Morning Stan

The BIG question is: do you want total oil drainback--I certainly don't if the BMW recommended checking procedure doesn't include it or require it.

Are you suggesting that we want to avoid complete drainback?-- Again, if BMW doesn't specify a time on the side stand before placing on center stand then personally I would avoid COMPLETE oil cooler drain back. (BMW) DOES suggest a time on the center stand before checking spelled out in a specific oil checking service bulletin (absolutely no mention of side stand first in that bulletin)

If so, what do you suggest we do to get consistency on days we want to check the oil level?--Follow the BMW riders manual or service bulletin on making sure the engine is hot(or at least hot enough for the oil thermostat to be open) before placing on center stand , then waiting the required 5 minutes before checking.

A) Always put the bike on the center stand before shutting down the engine.--no real need to do that as the oil cooler drain back is not fast so it won't completely empty in the time it takes to dismount on the side stand then place on center stand.

B) Don't use the side stand at all. Makes for an interesting dismount for short legged people.-- This would sure complicate riding & dismounting so would be foolish to do.

C) Establish a not to exceed time on the side stand and don't check the oil level if you took more time getting it off the side stand.-- This might not be a bad idea but that would be really anal.

The whole purpose of the "rain dance" was to establish a consistent way to check the oil level. The early R1100RT's were prone to giving different readings each time you checked the oil level if you didn't.-- The early oilheads had no internal oil thermostat so the were a bit fiddly but as long as the engine was riding hot I never had issues checking the oil level.

I suppose the good part is that by placing the bike on the side stand for a while before putting on center stand before checking the oil level then a rider should never overfill the engine as the extra oil drain back should show a bit higher in the sight glass than it would be using BMW's recommended way.

I do think that BMW did screw up on the their 1100/1150 boxers by placing the oil fill hole on the same side as the sight glass. Just too many riders saw the oil level a little low then started pouring oil in & watching the sight glass. By the time it started rising in the sight glass it was overfull. If they would have put the sight glass on the opposite side then the rider would have to pour in a little oil then go around to the other side to check it, that would give it time to run into the crankcase before the rider could view the sight glass.

But truth be known back when I rode the 1100 & 1150 bikes I would just check them cold before ride off & if I saw oil in the sight glass that was good enough. I just never found the time or had the memory retention to park the bike for 5 minutes then remember to go back to it & look at the oil level.

On my 1200 bikes once I get a feel for oil usage (I haven't had a 1200 bike use any oil between changes) I just don't check the oil level between changes (or at least not very often). Once in a blue moon I might give them a quick look cold before a trip but if I don't see a puddle of oil under the bike then I assume the oil I put in there at last change is still in there.

I'm not telling anybody to change their oil dance or oil checking procedure if what they are using is working for them-- I'm just saying that BMW put out an oil checking service bulletin on the "proper" way to check the oil level & it doesn't say a thing about placing on side stand first.

There is no doubt in my mind that an extended time on the side stand before center stand will give more oil cooler drain back so if BMW wanted that extra drain back into the crankcase before oil level checking then you would think that they would have clearly stated a side stand placement time in that service bulletin.

Shiny Side Up

I would just check them cold before ride off & if I saw oil in the sight glass that was good enough. I just never found the time or had the memory retention to park the bike for 5 minutes then remember to go back to it & look at the oil level.

I just don't check the oil level between changes (or at least not very often). Once in a blue moon I might give them a quick look cold before a trip but if I don't see a puddle of oil under the bike then I assume the oil I put in there at last change is still in there.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

...and I don't continually check the oil in my truck either...

D.R. mentioned "BMW put out an oil checking service bulletin."

Do you have it to hand so we can take a look at it please ?

ALAN

D.R. mentioned "BMW put out an oil checking service bulletin."

Do you have it to hand so we can take a look at it please ?

ALAN

Morning ALAN

I do have it on hand but it is BMW proprietary info & unfortunately I don't have BMW's permission to post or publish it.

Ha-Ha!

This is funny stuff! Back in the day when I started riding we never had long, learned discussions about the proper, factory-authorized, way to check the oil. If it had some in there, let's ride! It wasn't until the internet took over the world, and it's evil prodigy, the bike forum, came along that oil checking and which grade became a subject of mass hysteria. Every bike I've ridden in the modern age had it's forum, and each one had rabid fans of one method and grade or another, especially H-D. The Yamaha FJR1300 forum differed. It's forum said plainly "DO WHATEVER WORKS FOR YOU!" There was no discussion and no one would answer questions. "Check your owner's manual" was the only advice you could get. When I first got the bike, it ran great, but had a bit of noise, and shifting had to be very firm. I decided to change out the synthetic and go with dino juice. The bike loved it! It got quieter, seemed to rev more freely, and shifting became effortless. The fact remains, I like forums and have asked questions of them, such as what fock is up with these fockin' sightglasses! Where's the fockin' dipstick!?

I just check my oil before I ride it by putting it on the center stand if not already and looking at the site glass. If it's anywhere inside of the circle it has enough. Unlike most people on this forum if I top it up I fill it to the top of the circle.

RoanokeRider

I guess those of us with sidecars will just never know how much oiul we have since the "oil dance" would be particularly difficult. :)

Ha! This is exactly why I posted this question. Sounds like there are different methods of checking oil level. Ah the days of my airhead and dipstick!

If I regularly did the 5 minute side stand followed by 5 minutes on the center stand and saw oil in the glass (maybe half way up?) would I be safe? Dave

As long as you see oil, and some space, ride.

A true leak will be apparent.

Otherwise, we all should know our bike's appetitie for oil...

:lurk:

I'd say if you put in on the centerstand and see oil halfway up the glass go ahead and ride regardless of how long or if ever it was on the side stand. Let's just say I don't believe that the oil dance is necessary.

dirtrider
I'd say if you put in on the centerstand and see oil halfway up the glass go ahead and ride regardless of how long or if ever it was on the side stand. Let's just say I don't believe that the oil dance is necessary.

:thumbsup: