IGNORED

Battery ... choiceseal

NapaBavarian

NapaBavarian

All I know is google, apparently the odessy pc680 /mj /mjt is popular, there are some expensive choices and no real clarity on longevity of various brands yachituchiaxxxxxx... the spelling I don't recall and there may be two. I've had the battery on a batteryminder so it seems to hold a charge, but cranking speed is a bit underwhelming.

What bike,if the PC 680 is correct,must be 1100-1150 series oilhead?

I got 6 plus years out of the Odyssey in my former 2005 R1200 GS

About double the life of standard battery.

JR356

With my last battery change I was about to give up on Westco but went ahead with it anyway. (beemer bone yard has good deals on them) So far it has lasted four years and was about 1/2 the price of the Odyssey. That said, I have never used one so of course, my next battery will be an Odyssey.

All I know is google, apparently the odessy pc680 /mj /mjt is popular, there are some expensive choices and no real clarity on longevity of various brands yachituchiaxxxxxx... the spelling I don't recall and there may be two. I've had the battery on a batteryminder so it seems to hold a charge, but cranking speed is a bit underwhelming.

Morning NapaBavarian

You didn't tell us what bike that you are working with?

In some BMW models the Odyssey PC 680 is a very popular battery BUT not the MJ variant as the BMW motorcycle doesn't need the Metal Jacket on the battery.

One thing to keep in mind is that Batteryminder of yours might not be compatible with some of the newer Gel or AGM type batteries (you REALLY need to research an older battery minder or battery tender to make sure that it is compatible with the newer battery types that you might have).

My 2006RT's oem battery started to show signs of giving up (primarily abs under voltage errors on a GS-911, and less enthusiastic cranking) after 6 1/2 years use.

The PC680, I replaced it with, gave up the ghost after only 15 months (cost was refunded), and was replaced with a Yuasa. That battery is still performing as it was when I installed it almost 3 years ago.

My experience with Odyssey wasn't very good, but others have differing experiences.

One other minor point is that some batteries are a direct replacement for the oem connections, whereas the PC680 requires right angle adapters, and shims, to fit properly in the battery box.

NapaBavarian

It's a 2007 rt, late night and I didn't even proofread the title, odessys seem to be a little over $100 so not bad, of course for cars I pay $40 for reconditioned interstates that last as long as anything else so I'll cry a bit.

NapaBavarian

I have a batteryminder and a ctek, I've been using the battery minder as it seems to rejuvenate the battery better, the ctek only seen to charge even set to recondition, battery minder has continuous pulse charging, ctek has gel/agm and motorcycle settings.

I have a batteryminder and a ctek, I've been using the battery minder as it seems to rejuvenate the battery better, the ctek only seen to charge even set to recondition, battery minder has continuous pulse charging, ctek has gel/agm and motorcycle settings.

Afternoon NapaBavarian

I'm not sure what battery type you have in that bike now but it (2007,1200RT) came with a Gel battery -- If you used the CTEK charger on the recondition setting (or even the snowflake setting) that will flat out kill a Gel battery.

If you install a new Odyssey PC 680 then use the CTEK on the snowflake setting as that is just about perfect to keep it topped up. Your old Battery Minder will probably not charge the PC 680 over 80% so over time can severely lower the PC 680 cranking ability.

New Gel or new AGM batteries with older (older-technology) Battery Minders or Battery Tenders are a sure way to turn a new battery into an old battery.

Others here with Hexhead RT's may have better info,but I was under the impression that they use the Odyssey PC535,or with a bit of trimming the Odyssey PC625(what I used in my 05 hexhead GS),maybe that was only the GS,not the RT?

Good points made about using the proper charger!

JR356

Others here with Hexhead RT's may have better info,but I was under the impression that they use the Odyssey PC535,or with a bit of trimming the Odyssey PC625(what I used in my 05 hexhead GS),maybe that was only the GS,not the RT?

Good points made about using the proper charger!

Afternoon JR356

You are thinking of the hexhead 1200GS not the 1200RT as the RT uses the PC 680, just about a drop in fit with a little tweaking on the hold down strap or piece of hose pinched down between the top of battery & the hold down strap. It does need (well it should have anyhow) a little shimming but the foam protection in the battery shipping box works great for that .

"L" brackets will allow the stock cables to go right on but a simple 1/4 twist on the stock cables will allow a direct attachment to the battery posts.

NapaBavarian

I'm in the market for gsa, time to pull out the battery out to see what it is, slow cranking was the prognosis when I bought it 18 months ago, it became obvious when I picked up my kawasaki and it spun over fast.

I'm in the market for gsa, time to pull out the battery out to see what it is, slow cranking was the prognosis when I bought it 18 months ago, it became obvious when I picked up my kawasaki and it spun over fast.

Evening NapaBavarian

Kawasaki's do crank over faster. Keep in mind that the BMW has a large piston high compression engine so they don't crank over very fast.

You might try putting a voltmeter across your battery while you cold crank it to see what the battery voltage falls off to while cranking (over 10 volts is good, under 10 volts is marginal, & anything down around 9.5 volts or under is very poor).

I'm happy with my Deka Sports Power ETX-20L, paid $80 in Feb of 2014, it replaced the factory battery on my '06rt.

I'm on my 7th year on an Odyssey PC 680 (2006 RT). I did notice this spring it's a bit slower turning over, so I'll be replacing it. Given that I got a good solid 6 worry free years from it, I'll be replacing it with the same. I got 7 years of of an Odyssey on my K1200 as well. Solid battery... I see no reason to try to save 30 bucks for something else.

I'm on my 7th year on an Odyssey PC 680 (2006 RT). I did notice this spring it's a bit slower turning over, so I'll be replacing it. Given that I got a good solid 6 worry free years from it, I'll be replacing it with the same. I got 7 years of of an Odyssey on my K1200 as well. Solid battery... I see no reason to try to save 30 bucks for something else.

And the factory battery that I had lasted nearly eight years......but I wasn't about the fork out that money.....so, I'll give the Deka a try, three years now and I'll see how it goes.

In my 2004 Montauk, stock lasted 7 years, never left me, changed it out as a preventative measure, put a Westco in, still going strong.

My 2009 RT had a stock battery in it when i got it it 2015, just put a Westco in it from BBY.

Easy fitment, its got little notches in the top for fingers so its easier to get in and out versus stock, just took a a little shim under the hold down strap.

Both bikes are on tenders when I'm home. (YMMV)