IGNORED

oil pressure sending unit

danevans

I am preparing to replace oil pressure sending unit on my '95 R1100 GS. BMW list two different units. Can anyone tell me please which to use? Would I be able to use a auto parts house unit? Also What torque value to apply. Many Thanks in Advance.

I am preparing to replace oil pressure sending unit on my '95 R1100 GS. BMW list two different units. Can anyone tell me please which to use? Would I be able to use a auto parts house unit? Also What torque value to apply. Many Thanks in Advance.

Morning ks kurmudgeon

On your 1100GS there is an early (pre 98) & late oil pressure (post 98 ) switch offered. What one your engine uses depends on year that your engine was built (yours is early) & IF someone has ever changed the wire to the later switch or not.

If your bike is still original then it s-h-o-u-l-d take the 12611277642 OIL PRESSURE SWITCH - That uses a 12x1.5 thread.

As far as torque goes I'm sure that BMW must have one for assembly but I don't (readily) list one in my book here. Just tighten enough that it doesn't leak.

You can use an auto parts store OPS (Oil Pressure Switch) just make DARN SURE the you take your old one along to match the thread pitch & thread taper up (should be 12x1.5mm)-- It is very easy to crack the crankcase at the oil pressure switch if the incorrect taper threads are forced in.