IGNORED

Introduction

Dobo

Hi all, i just joined and am looking at buying a 2004 r1150rt .

i have read about the problems with the linked brake system.

and have searched for a "how to retro fit regular brakes".

if some one can point me in the direction of the info .

i am fairly sure it will be on here some where.

just trying to gauge the cost and work involved.

many thanks mark,

AnotherLee

Hello, Dobo, welcome to the asylum!

I recently went thru ABS removal on my '03 1150RT. There may be better ones, but the best referece I found was HERE .

greiffster

Mark,

Welcome to the site. Is the ABS/servo not working on this '04? Or are you just thinking ahead?

dirtrider
Hi all, i just joined and am looking at buying a 2004 r1150rt .

i have read about the problems with the linked brake system.

and have searched for a "how to retro fit regular brakes".

if some one can point me in the direction of the info .

i am fairly sure it will be on here some where.

just trying to gauge the cost and work involved.

many thanks mark,

Morning Dobo

The cost to remove the ABS system is minimal & the work involved is fairly straight forward (see Lee's link).

If you are fairly mechanically inclined & if you have a basic vehicle electrical working knowledge then an afternoons job.

Just keep in mind that you will probably have to do the conversion yourself as most repair shops will not remove an ABS system due to liability concerns.

thanks for the quick responses ,

and thanks for the link lee

i am thinking ahead to see if its a deal breaker.?

there is one local with tiny millage (11k) so i am thinking this would be the biggest problem likely to arise in the near future apart from normal stuff like rubber seals and the like.

i am an machinist by trade and have been ridding and working on all brands of bikes for 40 years (admittedly mostly 2 strokes).

but i have had a beemer before(F650).

thanks mark

Edited by Dobo
DavidMantle

As an aside I have an 1100RT with ABS , which doesn`t work. Think servo fault. Anyway I prefer it as non-ABS myself. Last winter whilst riding through town I used the rear brake and the back wheel locked up on the ice, until this point I did not realise the road was icy. I could have lost grip on a bend if I had not found this out when I did. ABS has it`s uses but it can lead to a false sense of security.

szurszewski
As an aside I have an 1100RT with ABS , which doesn`t work. Think servo fault. Anyway I prefer it as non-ABS myself. Last winter whilst riding through town I used the rear brake and the back wheel locked up on the ice, until this point I did not realise the road was icy. I could have lost grip on a bend if I had not found this out when I did. ABS has it`s uses but it can lead to a false sense of security.

For the OP, the 1100 has a different brake system in that the only "electronic" part is the ABS - the normal braking is mechanical vs the 1150 (some of the 1150s, actually) where the normal braking is powered. Which just means on the 1100, even if the electronic part is not working (as in the case for DavidMantle) you still have exactly the same brakes - just no ABS to kick in. On bikes with the servo assisted power (AKA "whizzy") brakes, when the electronic system fails, you have greatly reduced normal braking (and no ABS).

have a 2003 RT. Bought it with 10000 miles ABS working perfectly If it aint broke don't worry about it

have a 2003 RT. Bought it with 10000 miles ABS working perfectly If it aint broke don't worry about it

This.

Do required maintenance, ride.

There are plenty of probables, rubber lines, gas tank lines, etc.

The '04 is a lovely ride.

• 1 month later...

well the bike i was looking at sold before i had the readies.

so i bought another 2004 1150rt with 22k miles .

with lots of extras.

IMG_0868.jpg

it has a remus exhaust which pops on decel (a bit annoying).

and it has had a drive way tip over both sides(small scrapes on the heads).

i was going to but some head protectors to cover the damage ..is there a preferred type ? most seem to be abs plastic which i would think will disintegrate in a tip over event.

but so far i am enjoying it.

cheers mark

The Plastic BMW ones do a fine job if the bike is tipped over, however, if you 'dropped' the bike - as in when you were riding it, then they would offer no protection. What are you hoping to achieve? 'Proper' crash bars may be the way, but look pretty horrible on the 1150.

Your choice really.

thanks , i was just trying to cover the damage a little and save it if there is a next time (hopefully not).

Thanks Mark

A bit of JB weld will fill in any gouges nicely. Sand smooth and a can of BMW Silver spray paint in a can will cover nicely. Found that at the dollar store. I did one on mine which was covered after a scrape by a previous owner. The metal guards he bought almost hid the scrape, but it was easy to fix when I had the cover off. Mike

Shiny Side Up

Welcome Dobo!!

Nice looking motorcycle - Oooo - Titan Silver! That "fastest" color!!

22k - are you kidding me??? Unheard of!

thanks All,

i will do the JB Weld and paint fix.

one of the mirrors glass is broke and the housing is scratched so will replace that in time too.

looking for a backrest for the wife.

i have the trunk but will only use it on longer trips.

any leads on one would be great .

can they be "remapped" to reduce the popping on decel ?

the PO had changed the plugs and two of the four look lean to me?

thanks again mark

can they be "remapped" to reduce the popping on decel ?

The popping is a function of the aftermarket exhaust.

It really is hard to beat the OEM exhaust for these bikes.

I recently found a very good one for mine on ebay (US) and had it shipped to the UK. It seemed as though customs were having a laugh when they charged me a fortune to import a secondhand silencer. In honesty, it still was relatively cheap because I think all in it came to £150.

I bought it from the US, as generally speaking, your weather has less of an effect on components such as these.

I recently found a very good one for mine on ebay (US) and had it shipped to the UK. It seemed as though customs were having a laugh when they charged me a fortune to import a secondhand silencer. In honesty, it still was relatively cheap because I think all in it came to £150.

I bought it from the US, as generally speaking, your weather has less of an effect on components such as these.

if i could find one from New Mexico or California they would probably be rust free :thumbsup::thumbsup:

quick search on fleabutt a complete system for $200/350

sounds like a plan .

will keep an eye out for a clean one.

cheers mark

Edited by Dobo

i see some come with what i assume is the 02 sensor and wireing.

anything else i should need to reinstall the OEM exhaust.

many thanks MARK

i see some come with what i assume is the 02 sensor and wireing.

anything else i should need to reinstall the OEM exhaust.

many thanks MARK

Yes you WILL need one with that O2 sensor feature for your 1150.

Also, if one comes with an O2 sensor fitted, they are easy to test to see if they are operating or if they have been poisoned.

• 1 month later...

well got an OEM muffler and sensor just needs a good clean.

also we have a cold front move in, a welcome break and a chance to try the grip heaters.on the first setting nice and warm.

when i say cold front that is 59 degrees F (it is Texas)

cheers mark

• 1 month later...

well life got in the way and i have only just fitted the stock muffler on .

definite improvement .so smooth now.

no popping on decel.

thanks to all who helped.

cheers mark