IGNORED

Experience with R1150RT LED Headlights?

Claudio

You talk of an H7/H4 headlight.

I think you will find the R1150RT uses H3 (not H4) for high beam and fogs.

It uses H7 for low(dip) beam.

Terry (realshelby) of this forum has spent some time playing around with LED's and he has some useful comments on the problems of mounting them and cooling them.

I have experience with the high beam.

I use an H3 LED from Amazon - the type with the braided tails. I don't think I fancy the ones with cooling fans.

(Car Rover® H3 Headlight Bulbs Car LED Light 80W 9600LM(4800LM Each Bulb) Super Bright Lamp).

It has been fantastic.

It was a real pain to fit due to the High beam access and special spacer that the R1150RT uses in its high beam but it can be done and it is worth it.

I have not tried the low beam (H3) (yet)

Claudio,

LED's typically produce much more light for the same wattage, last longer, run cooler, and (therefore) cost more than halogen. You need to do some research on your bike and CANbus (if it has that system). Also, the better/brighter bulbs have a cooling fan on the back end and need some clearance. Forget the braided cooling bulbs.

Two suggestions for sources and info:

Cyclops - Cyclops

I have several of their units, H7, H4, H1. Mostly motorcycle lights. VERY good people to work with. VERY good lights, too.

Super Bright LED's. - SUPERBRIGHTLEDS

They have a very good selection guide for cars and motorcycles with every bulb on BMW's. I got a bunch of tail, brake, turn, parking LED bulbs from them. Huge selection, much educational info, CANbus lights, bulb base/type compatibility etc.

They also have a nifty little programmable LED modulator I put on my brake lights. MLD-5A for $6.95. 9 modes, 10 brightness levels.

jNIxi4-7KRuWbjdXNZMYiWtc-bEU3lOAdXCf7t-dHAaInXfMFz12i6nVBO1WRsEl7QJZ18S5xVLauUBHdoV5p82h7t6kNQoei76KA10NHAlzNBRzbIpymMk1B4KJiRWhcAMVIV1j5MR_f1d7fJWEzI-RvrvJZ_vRxa4tyXOGyxkYS-riUSp-DirLaOSe75Xg-M8xwbe8LARojMuFnQi51JTI3VG7_zpyCwnFp9V_j3ybQYRRoriYb9ljs8NvE5ZgQHzxdh657K9fLGyCvEmKhVbQoEH_qQghL7zmAkse5YTx1zwuvZcWLO1zdjzh0tspatt2pFVkly2CEX321MMb2sf0RLZlM9loq4ILVrwvat-sYbk7pZq3BciDGSsfL_IJ7c_Eud3d-CY2mwkhYXq6_coPRM2lU05EqdPWaq_Us7uBXzo07F762DFRJY0bPZT64uG3hDYsiwiOtUFTeVRpJOYaQBSCpzrtKTNVICCTXoq4CKqFZzAqy_0_Ja0cyS1flGS4FnA5_56wcH6WZTcaij1QdvpG04eWbDoveLHMxfEp-nfDFGz-Z1Kh2U7Ex_i39MKi9D9jNlgyQ965CmYcDikYkXdWcPdBIKRFMLdk2KTtZItJjRdR52P7xyUfBk_151fT_0wEqwpCdJhZQXOo_nwmfdvlgetihfU1u7Ss3w=w337-h598-no?.jpg

Installing this on the brake light with a 400 lumen LED bulb will really get their attention.

Edited by Lowndes

Thanks for the tips and suggested topics. I think I am going to replace the low beam with the braided option (comes with a resistor to fool my bike's circuitry).

Might also replace the parking light while I am at it...should get more life from the LEDs.

I already have LEDs in the tail light with this from Hornig.

https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/BMW-R-1100-1150-RT/Leds-Lenses-Bulbs/LED-Rear-Light.html

And these with running lights on my signals.

https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/BMW-R-1100-1150-RT/Leds-Lenses-Bulbs/LED-turning-signal.html

Very happy with both of them....just need a bit more punch on the main lights.

Thanks for the tips and suggested topics. I think I am going to replace the low beam with the braided option (comes with a resistor to fool my bike's circuitry).

It doesn't need to have anything to fool your bikes electrics. The R1150RT does not use CanBus. So, it doesn't care what current is being drawn.

With the Hornig LED indicator kit you WOULD need this, but not for a headlight bulb.

Might also replace the parking light while I am at it...should get more life from the LEDs.

Ineresting. In the 13 years I have had my bike, I've never replaced that bulb.

.just need a bit more punch on the main lights.

Yes, I know what you mean!

• 3 months later...
Bert Remington

I recommend Philips (see my topic in Bike Related Things). Halogen-like beam pattern with good cutoff. Easy installation and no fan (be sure to align cooling vent vertically). Philips did a superb job. BRING MONEY!

Because the thread has evolved a bit with the mention of LED tail lights and modulators.

I noted that it was slightly off topic, the OP has a choice of responding or not.

Edited by 89quattro

Hi 89quattro,

The reason for the new thread is not for the benefit of the OP, but for people who may be interested in YOUR topic. So a future reader could search LED tail light and find that thread. That's why going off topic actually reduces the impact of these forums.

I´ve mounted the Hornig LED clear rear light and I love it!

My friends are enviously. And I have never heard of drivers behind me in daylight conditions. Only the installation is not easy :eek: