IGNORED

My wallet says Hexhead

Pointwithinacircle

Pointwithinacircle

After eight years on my capable cruiser I am looking to move on. I see myself on a sport cruiser and for me that means a motorcycle with an RT badge. Since this will be my first BMW I prefer to purchase it without raiding my retirement account or getting a loan. The prices I have seen for the 2006 to 2009 r1200rt's are about what I can raise by selling my current bike. This brings me to Hexheads.

I'm interested in reading your advice on what to check, what to look for (and look out for), what you like and did not like about these years. Are there any problems I should be checking for?

Are there any after market accessories that you think are worth looking for, or any to avoid (or that are just silly)?

Basically I just want to hear about your bike, why like it, and what might change.

Looking forward to the conversation.

After eight years on my capable cruiser I am looking to move on. I see myself on a sport cruiser and for me that means a motorcycle with an RT badge. Since this will be my first BMW I prefer to purchase it without raiding my retirement account or getting a loan. The prices I have seen for the 2006 to 2009 r1200rt's are about what I can raise by selling my current bike. This brings me to Hexheads.

I'm interested in reading your advice on what to check, what to look for (and look out for), what you like and did not like about these years. Are there any problems I should be checking for?

Are there any after market accessories that you think are worth looking for, or any to avoid (or that are just silly)?

Basically I just want to hear about your bike, why like it, and what might change.

Looking forward to the conversation.

Morning Pointwithinacircle

Basically when it comes to the 1200RT the later the better in most cases assuming everything else being equal.

In the hexhead era the late 2008 or 2009 have all of the BMW changed/updated parts but there were still a few recalls that were needed (like brake lines & rear wheel flange).

As far as what to look for?-- Everything from engine oil leaks, to corrosion, to engine noises, to brake function & smoothness, to transmission shifting quality, to clutch operation & slippage, to service history.

BMW parts are expensive so keep that in mind if you find a bike that needs repairs.

there are a couple for sale in classifieds....

:wave:

:thumbsup:

And folks who can point out maintenance hows...

:thumbsup:

:Cool:

At the beginning of the year I was in a similar situation. I had been riding a Yamaha YZF600R for about 6 years. It was great for commuting to work and short trips but 500 miles a day was my limit on that bike. I'm now working from home so no daily commute and my trips are getting longer.

I spent over a year figuring out what I wanted and decided I was going to look for a hexhead. In particular I wanted a 2009 without the radio because I saw no need to haul around a cd player I would never use.

From all the internet comments on the bikes I was assuming I was going to want an aftermarket seat, bigger windscreen and additional lighting. I had also decided I did not want ESA based on so many comments about expensive repairs.

There are quite a few hexheads on the market and before I was ready to pull the trigger I saw several on the market that would have filled the bill.

My plans were derailed when I came across a deal I just could not pass up. I found a 2006 model with outstanding service records and an aftermarket seat which fit me well, a full Remus Exhaust and Motolight lighting and a price I liked.

The only boxes it did not check were that it was a 2006 (servo brakes) and it had ESA.

To say I am pleased would be an understatement, I love this bike. I just completed my first SS1000 and the bike is running like a top.

As it turns out I love the ESA and I'm glad I have it.

If you are not already aware of the servo brake issues of the 2005-2006 models you soon will be. For many people it means they would never buy one of those years which of course makes those models much cheaper.

I was assuming I would need an aftermarket windshield but as it turns out I am perfectly happy with the stock screen.

If I was starting the search again I would once again be looking for a 2009 but this time with ESA. However keep an open mind, any well maintained hexhead is going to be a good ride.

Pointwithinacircle

Thanks for the reply. I sounds like you have already dealt with many of the issues that I am looking at. very helpful.

3 days ago I bought a 2009 RT to join the '92 K100RS4v in my garage. Wife likes passenger position much more than the K bike.

34651687641_d31949de7d_z.jpg

You've got the most comfortable seat money can buy on that nice looking RT! :thumbsup:

Good luck and don't be so shy.... :grin:

Pat

You've got the most comfortable seat money can buy on that nice looking RT! :thumbsup:

Good luck and don't be so shy.... :grin:

Pat

Thanks Pat

I have always resisted putting a Russell on the K bike because it is UGLY!

But it doesn't look too bad on the R (and I can't see it when I'm sitting on it :eek: )

And SWMBO really likes it- the position and the heat.

Yeah, the looks can be an acquired taste. (Looks great in that Pic) I spent seventeen hours on one without any rump pain at all. :thumbsup: Everything else was screaming though! :grin:

Pat