IGNORED

Considering a lightly used 2014 WC

Oldironken

Oldironken

I am currently the satisfied owner of an '04 RT with 53k on the clock. I have an opportunity to upgrade to a very lightly used 2014 RT for what i think is a reasonable price.

I followed the shock recall during the '14 model year but since then have not kept up with how the new WCRT and the 14's specifically have been holding up. Being the first year of a significant change there can be issues that get resolved in subsequent models, hence my satisfaction with the '04 RT.

Are there any things with the '14 model year that are significant concerns that would caution me to consider something newer? I have perused this section from time to time and haven't really seen anything that alarms me.

I'm pursuing this because it's an unexpected opportunity, a 10-year upgrade for a good price is always something to consider. The owner is considering going back to an Adventure style bike that isn't a BMW

realshelby

Do it!

You won't regret it. I traded an '04 RT on my 2014 RT. I waited for the new model, didn't care for the looks of the previous couple generation bikes. Maintenance on the new RT takes less than half the time it did on the Oilhead, at least till if/when I have to replace valve shims and even that isn't too bad.

Holding up? So far they are doing better than any BMW in recent history. By quite a lot. At 27K miles now, I had already had some serious issues with my '04. None at all with this bike. Not even a small issue. The lower seat height, MUCH lower weight, power and still gets better fuel mileage, technical offerings all make this RT a huge improvement over the Oilheads. As it should.

Edited by realshelby

I purchased my 14RT new, one of the first landed in the USA. I put money down without even seeing the bike. I had an 02R1150RT at the time, very similar bike to yours (2 spark being the real only difference). The 14RT has been wonderful, no problems at all. It's an upgrade I love.

Your 04RT has much better on bike storage, in the tail, glove box and more. This is the only thing I miss about my 02RT, sure I like the bike, it fit me better (spent a fortune to get it that way) but the Wethead is a bigger smile.

Jay

Edited by strataj

I traded my 04RT with 108,000 miles on a 14RT and have never regretted my decision, I took possession of my 14RT in November 2014 with 17 miles on the speedometer it now has 72,000+ miles and never had any problems. Terrific upgrade I'd go for it. :)

Don't do it.

Your '04 is good for another 30 years at the rate the mileage

is accumulating.

:)

Do do it.

If you want a different bike that has a lot of positives.

Go ride a newer one at a dealer and see what you think.

Don't think I would not do it based on concern.

Best wishes.

:wave:

Depends on how you like to ride. If touring only , then there is little advantage to the waterhead VS and the older designs. Loved my '99RT, the looks and the ride once I upgraded to Ohlin shocks. But, I still like bend the horizon from time to time and my '99 seemed a little slow handling and underpowered. I test rode a new '15 waterhead RT and at first only notice the difference in power and lighter handling. I bought the new one because I figured if I didn't do it soon I would never do it.

After I got used to the new bike and started making use of more of its potential, it was holy crap. It did everything my '99 did but much, better (well except the Ohlins shocks are hard to beat). Throttle control, ASC/ABS improvements and truly able to change line mid turn. IMOHO in those intervening 16 year those German engineers made new RT better in every way.

I guess my tag line says it all!

What most others have already said ... the WC RT is just a better bike. Having owned a '97 and '06 RT's before my current '16 RTW my experience is they just keep getting better. I truly loved my 2006 RT and was very sad to see it move on to a new home but am now bonding with the RTW and am happy with my decision. Also, as other have said maintenance is easier and less frequent. In addition when I bought my '16 RTW last October I also got a great deal on a RPM One 5 year extended warranty. So as I move into retirement I am covered for EIGHT years! The 12,000 mile valve checks for me makes touring much less stressful too.

Don't get me wrong the '04 RT was a great bike and may have the best weather protection ever and a rock solid motor. And if that is what you can afford that is a wonderful ride and one to be proud of. But if you are fortunate to be able to move up to the RTW it is probably worth it. The only downside to the newer RT's is they just don't seem to be built like a tank as the older years .... things like the side cases. The new cases work perfectly but just don't seem as heavily built. But for me that was not a show stopper.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Oldironken

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it is very helpful.

I'll be riding it in the next week or so and discussing the price with the owner.

If we can come to an agreement it will be great, if not i still have a great bike to ride with few regrets.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it is very helpful.

I'll be riding it in the next week or so and discussing the price with the owner.

If we can come to an agreement it will be great, if not i still have a great bike to ride with few regrets.

I have been in the same dilemma as you. I keep riding the new R1200RT-LC and it is a phenomenal bike. But once my initial euphoria of a new toy with lots of oomph and even more gizmo's has died away, my 1150 gets me thinking...that old cockpit and bar layout are better. The handling of my 1150 is very good and the friends I go out to play with who ride the new bikes never get away from me in the twisties (the straights are another story altogether)! My transmission is smoother. The comfort of the old bike is much higher (comparing stock with stock).

So, will I get an LC...probably, but only once I've tried the 2017 model to see if the shifting has improved enough for me. The colours and shape of the bike don't make me look back at the bike with a sense of 'maybe i'll just take it out for a bit more of a ride' as I walk away from it.

If the new bike 'stirs your loins' go for it. Technically it is a better bike. However, if your 1150 is anywhere as nice as mine, then think carefully. You could keep the 1150 and get the new bike too!

As I have said in other threads. I like the curved body panel lines on the '99RT more than the angular Star Wars X-wing fighter lines of new RT, but in the overall my '15RT is a keeper!

As far as smooth shifting goes, that is a matter of perspective. The '99RT shifted like a highly refined cement truck, requiring a Zen like mindset to get smooth shifts. The waterhead transmission was a huge improvement. If a slick shifting transmission were my most critical decision element, then I would be on some model of Kawasaki. No BMW I have ridden comes close to slick shifting like my '83 GPz.

I happen to like the noisy transmission. My '09 had it, and my new 2016 has it. My Harley had it, too.

I don't know what keeps anyone from getting a new bike. I mean, don't you get that new bike itch?

Tick tock...do it!

I don't know what keeps anyone from getting a new bike. I mean, don't you get that new bike itch?

I go the other way. It's like a love affair. I love my old bike. I chose it carefully. she has a few wrinkles, I know her intimately. She tolerates me well. Why should I be seduced by the new young slim girl that just wants me for my money. I know she goes, but for the long haul the old lady wins!

I go the other way. It's like a love affair. I love my old bike. I chose it carefully. she has a few wrinkles, I know her intimately. She tolerates me well. Why should I be seduced by the new young slim girl that just wants me for my money. I know she goes, but for the long haul the old lady wins!

Well Andy I don't know if this translates to your neck of the woods, but BigTup, and more importantly, Oldironken will. Your type is Mary Ann and BigTup is into Ginger. Oldironekn, you have to decide are you into Ginger or Mary Ann...well a lightly used Ginger in your case (I always suspected The Professor was getting some on the down low with Ginger) ;)

Andy,

I got my 14RT in February 2014, I kept the 02R1150RT. I like you liked my old girl, I had it set up for me I knew it head to toe. But over time I road it less and less, the new RT was amazing from the start but didn't have the good old feel. The day I sold that 02RT was a good day, the now 1 year old wethead was mine we bonded and with all the amazing features over the oilhead I haven't looked back.

Jay

Hi Jay, Like you, I think I will have to keep my 1150 at the same time as the 1200 so that I can ween myself gently away from it.

Too often I have heard people say, "if only I still had my...".

Hmmm Ginger. She is so glamorus, I can't resist. Maybe Mary Ann won't find out if I slip out the back door to sneak some time with Ginger.

Ha! I too still have my Mary Ann, a '99RT, and she looks so good in her Boston Green dress. But alas I took her out on too few dates last season, and the whole time I was day dreaming of Ginger's long legs and how much better her moves were on the dance floor. I'm breaking up with Mary Ann this year cuz I fell head over heals for Ginger!

OK. I have officially jumped the shark with this analogy!

My .02 worth

I purchased 2 WC for my "retirement", a GS and an RT.

Well, things have changed, health has changed, retirement is on hold, and I have sold both of the WC.

I didn't much care for my departed WC.

In ways they were quite nice really. I did notice and appreciate the low effort controls (clutch and throttle) and the lightness of their low speed handling.

Slightly better fuel milage, sure, why not.

But that said, as some others here have expressed, I somehow prefer riding and operating the older Boxers (Hex or Camhead)

To me, the WC seemed cheaply built and possessed a number of operating characteristics that I found to be too annoying.

Additionally, to paraphrase something I read recently, although the newer bikes certainly possess advanced technologically, for me, they offer very little advantage in real world capabilities of any concern.

So, I'm back on Camheads now, a '10 GS and a '13 RT, although the '10 GS, which I purchased as a interim bike to have as I sold off my LC, is for sale now. Can't justify owning more than one at this time.

My 2010 Low Chassis GS is my favorite, but I'm an electronic cruise control junkie, so I guess I'll keep the '13 RT.

Well anyway,

To each their own.

d'milan

curmudgeon

Edited by DMilan

Andy,

I got my 14RT in February 2014, I kept the 02R1150RT. I like you liked my old girl, I had it set up for me I knew it head to toe. But over time I road it less and less, the new RT was amazing from the start but didn't have the good old feel. The day I sold that 02RT was a good day, the now 1 year old wethead was mine we bonded and with all the amazing features over the oilhead I haven't looked back.

Jay

Well put Jay! Very similar to the experience I had moving from my '06 RT to my '16 RT. Once the '06 was safe and happy in a new home the bonding with the '16 began and I never looked back.

I miss my 2005 1150RT too as she was one of the last ones made.... I miss how top heavy it was. I miss how difficult it was in the parking lot with whizzy brakes and required maintenance. I miss the fear of final drive and drive shaft concern. I miss getting off the bike to manually adjust for preload of underdetermined outcome. I miss adding oil between oil changes. I miss my throttlemiser throttle lock versus real cruise control, I miss the manual locking bags, the smell of the dry clutch burning on a hill, only one foot on the ground, and most of all I miss watching the temp gauge climb up to the red when caught in traffic... Yes I miss it a lot with my wethead. :)

Edited by Skywagon
realshelby

Bottom line is this: If you had one of the nicest 2004 R 1150 RT's in your garage beside a 2014+ R 1200 RT, the old oilhead would not get very many miles on it. You might take it out occasionally, but that would become less over time. Then you would start worrying about the maintenance on the brakes and other things.

I had one. Some things I really liked. The design of the bike is classic and the Wethead is ugly beside one. I actually liked the whizzy brakes and had no trouble with them. But I simply would not want them again due to maintenance of the system. We sometimes like to think fondly of older bikes, but in real life the dust will start collecting on them quickly when a newer one arrives.

I miss my 2005 1150RT too as she was one of the last ones made.... I miss how top heavy it was. I miss how difficult it was in the parking lot with whizzy brakes and required maintenance. I miss the fear of final drive and drive shaft concern. I miss getting off the bike to manually adjust for preload of underdetermined outcome. I miss adding oil between oil changes. I miss my throttlemiser throttle lock versus real cruise control, I miss the manual locking bags, the smell of the dry clutch burning on a hill, only one foot on the ground, and most of all I miss watching the temp gauge climb up to the red when caught in traffic... Yes I miss it a lot with my wet head. :)

1010125_zpsacd44fa8.gif

I miss my 2005 1150RT too as she was one of the last ones made.... I miss how top heavy it was. I miss how difficult it was in the parking lot with whizzy brakes and required maintenance. I miss the fear of final drive and drive shaft concern. I miss getting off the bike to manually adjust for preload of underdetermined outcome. I miss adding oil between oil changes. I miss my throttlemiser throttle lock versus real cruise control, I miss the manual locking bags, the smell of the dry clutch burning on a hill, only one foot on the ground, and most of all I miss watching the temp gauge climb up to the red when caught in traffic... Yes I miss it a lot with my wethead. :)

That is good. I also miss the surging at around 3000 rpm that I got from my 1999 R1100RT, right in the range needed for traveling around town.

I also miss the surging at around 3000 rpm that I got from my 1999 R1100RT, right in the range needed for traveling around town.

Ugh..

Don't even mention surging.

My first BMW was 2002 R1150RT, a terrible surger, 3 local dealers and my own efforts couldn't fix it. A real pain. Poor dealers had no clue, because there was little they could do. I think there was something called a Techlusion which somehow adjusted/richened fuel air mixture but it certainly wasn't a factory recommended procedure. If the archives here went back far enough there would be threads to be found regarding the issue.

I recall posting in about it. Some of the most fierce defenders of the brand responded that many riders did not ride the machines properly. It was the operators fault. "These are fine autobahn machines that have no business putting around at 3,000 RPM". funny

I thought they fixed the surging by dual plugging the 2003 and up versions but I never actually rode one.

My '02 was a beautiful machine though, silver, topcase painted to match. Bought it used, came with a sargent seat and a small, but extremely effective Cee Bailey's screen. Except for the lack of cruise control, a very pleasant bike at freeway speeds. And the engine, with valves adjusted and throttle bodies balanced, was almost soothing to listen to. I liked that. Some on the sites used to compare it to sewing machine smooth. You don't hear that analogy used any more.

I think the following was posted here at the time, I saved it.

Brought some levity to an otherwise frustrating ownership experience. Sort of funny.

Official Surge Announcement by BMW!!

There have been so many complaints about surging around the 3,500 RPM level that BMW has been forced to a radical solution. I found this in my last issue of Roundel magazine. I for one am really looking forward this simple but effective cure.

"BMW engineers have discovered a little known flaw in the performance of the motorcycle Boxer engine. Our engineers have code named this problem RPM Induced Post Oscillation Fuel Function or RIPOFF. Called surging by the layperson. RIPOFF appears to only occur at certain RPMs with 3,500 being the mean and 500 RPM the standard deviation.

While it has taken seven years to isolate, quantify and correct RIPOFF, the BMW team should be justly proud of the low cost solution. The 04 models are dual plugged and very little RIPOFF'can be sensed but this fix was too expensive at 28 euros per engine. So dual plugging was designated an interim solution while a more economical fix was sought.

Dr. Funkmeister was brought out of retirement 3 years ago to lead a crack team of 28 accountants and 2 part time engineers to solve RIPOFF. (Some of our readers will remember the good doctor as the chief accountant for theHindenburg which came in 28%o under budget.)

After studying the problem from every possible angle, Dr. Funkie's team proposed the following solution. (The doctor enioys this affectionate nickname given to him by his team that pokes fun at his complete lack of modern hygiene.)

Because the problem was only noticed between 3,000 and 4,000 RPM they decided to program that exact range of RPMs out of the Motronic. Brilliant!!

The cost to reprogram the Motronic was under 1 euro per unit.

Answering questions at his award ceremony. the doctor said, "Ya, starting in die yar two thousand and funf-, zee rider vill notice a sudden jump in power ven zay axzellerate und a very sudden shtop venzay deezeler...uh, dayzel... uh, zlo down. Das ist alle! Oh und zie tachometer vill not haf a 3,000 RPM range. It vill fump from two to four thousand mit no 3, nein. Und ze great BMW vill notice a nice jump in der bottom line. Zank you."

Our congratulations to Dr. Funkmeister and his team. All of us here at BMW will take inspiration from his unique approach to solving vexing problems. Dr. Funkmeister can be reached at his retirement table at Andech's brewery just outside of Munich. Even when it is crowded at Andechs, you will usually find him alone with several empty tables around him happily asleep hiding behind 5

or 6 empty steins. We wish him well."

Edited by DMilan

That is good. I also miss the surging at around 3000 rpm that I got from my 1999 R1100RT, right in the range needed for traveling around town.

Oh and how I miss the ABS fault when starting the engine on my '99 oilhead if your battery was not delivering at 100%.

Long live the camheads!!!

Like I've said before- newer might not always be better. Do you want more weight with less storage for a gain of a few HP that you 'might' use? Go for the newer bike.

My .02 worth

Well, things have changed, health has changed, retirement is on hold, and I have sold both of the WC.

In ways they were quite nice really. I did notice and appreciate the low effort controls (clutch and throttle) and the lightness of their low speed handling.

But that said, as some others here have expressed, I somehow prefer riding and operating the older Boxers (Hex or Camhead)

To me, the WC seemed cheaply built and possessed a number of operating characteristics that I found to be too annoying.

Additionally, to paraphrase something I read recently, although the newer bikes certainly possess advanced technologically, for me, they offer very little advantage in real world capabilities of any concern.

So, I'm back on Camheads now, a '10 GS and a '13 RT, although the '10 GS, which I purchased as a interim bike to have as I sold off my LC, is for sale now. Can't justify owning more than one at this time.

My 2010 Low Chassis GS is my favorite, but I'm an electronic cruise control junkie, so I guess I'll keep the '13 RT.

Well anyway,

To each their own.

d'milan

curmudgeon

Long live the camheads!!!

Like I've said before- newer might not always be better. Do you want more weight with less storage for a gain of a few HP that you 'might' use? Go for the newer bike.

My .02 worth

Well anyway,

To each their own.

d'milan

curmudgeon

Had a Hexhead and currently own a Camhead and Wethead. I love my 2012 GSA but the 2016 is just better. Smoother motor, longer and easier service, better handling and more comfortable. Yes .. a few more pounds but I only feel it when pushing it around the garage. Once moving it handles and feels BETTER than my 2006 RT. Yes the 2006 was built like a tank! I liked that about it. But I hated the fuel strip and the worry about servo brakes.

They are ALL great bikes even the 1150's but if one can afford the wet head I would certainly recommend it.

I was very sad the day I delivered my 1150GS and my '06 RT as they were very special bikes to me. But once I bonded with the new bikes I never looked back!

Oldironken

My friend is taunting me just a little bit.

He rode the '14 RT a little on Friday and raved about how much he enjoyed it just to see the expression on my face, then he got rev'ed up talking about his next purchase.

I just have to be patient and wait him out. In the meantime i am enjoying the heck out of my '04

I wonder if he is reading this thread?

My friend is taunting me just a little bit.

He rode the '14 RT a little on Friday and raved about how much he enjoyed it just to see the expression on my face, then he got rev'ed up talking about his next purchase.

I just have to be patient and wait him out. In the meantime i am enjoying the heck out of my '04

I wonder if he is reading this thread?

I am confused ... I thought from your OP that you could land the '14 at a "reasonable price" ? So what is the waiting out for? Just pull the trigger. It will put a smile on your face !!

Oldironken

Sorry, don't mean to be confusing...

As soon as the current owner decides to pull the trigger on his next bike then i get first option on the RT. I am waiting with checkbook in hand. He and i are both slow and analytical, i have been doing my analysis since he bought it figuring he'd go back to an adventure bike sooner or later, this thread has been the clincher for me.

As soon as the current owner decides to pull the trigger on his next bike then i get first option on the RT. I am waiting with checkbook in hand. He and i are both slow and analytical, i have been doing my analysis since he bought it figuring he'd go back to an adventure bike sooner or later, this thread has been the clincher for me.

Ahhh ... OK got it. Simple solution, get him to head up to Americade in Lake George, NY in a couple weeks with you and get him to demo ride the 2017 GS's. BMW will be there along with a host of other manufacturers. Sounds like his heart can be stolen :thumbsup:

http://www.americade.com

Edited by RTinNC

Ahhh ... OK got it. Simple solution, get him to head up to Americade in Lake George, NY in a couple weeks with you and get him to demo ride the 2017 GS's. BMW will be there along with a host of other manufacturers. Sounds like his heart can be stolen :thumbsup:

I hadn't seen anything about Americade before on this site. Is it worth attending? By coincidence I may be in the neighborhood that week.

I hadn't seen anything about Americade before on this site. Is it worth attending? By coincidence I may be in the neighborhood that week.

It really is a nice event. Truly a multi brand event where every bike make, model or size is welcome. Centered in Lake George Village makes a nice central base for the event. They have a pretty nice tour expo with vendors, a TON of manufacturers providing demo rides and at night Canada street is one big bike show. But unlike Daytona the gawkers are usually hitting Ben & Jerry's or the coffee shops. If you decide you are interested shoot me a PM and I will provide some dining and ride suggestions if you like. I have attended all but 3 times since 1990. I originally lived in NJ so it was an easy 200 mile shot. Moving to Charlotte turned it into a nice fun trip up. If you like motorcycle of all types you will like Americade.

Edited by RTinNC