IGNORED

"The Kentucky Kid" Nicky Hayden Injured

Oldrider51

Oldrider51

For all you who follow racing, Nicky Hayden, the 2006 MotoGP Champion and current World Superbike rider was seriously injured today in Rimini, Italy, while training on his bicycle. Read here: http://www.worldsbk.com/. No updates have been issued since the accident. Hit by some idiot in a Peugeot. Can also Google and read more.

Sad news,looks like not much known yet,hope he is ok and will heal fast!

Best wishes to him and the entire Hayden family.

JR356

Yeeha! Stephen

Thinking along the lines of Michael Schumacher, Nicky is done. With his career and probably life in general. I wish he had been on the top of the charts when this happened.

Yes it does. :(

I can't say I hung on Nicky's every move over the last several years but what I liked about him most, he remained Nicky Hayden throughout all of his success as a racer.

Irony rears its ugly head again...

Pat

As much as it hurts, on the track and in a race, it's understandable. Not acceptable by any means, but understandable. They all know the risks. But just out on a training ride on a bicycle? It just doesn't seem fair. I'm having flashbacks of Gleno, Rodger, Quinn and others. Senseless, when risks were at a minimum, and fate steps in.

Godspeed, Nicky. World Champion.

What a damned shame to go out like that. What a great guy in a profession where that kind of exemplary character is so rare.

Oldrider51

Sad, Sad Day! Nicky was the consummate professional, great talent, and just a good person. Never bad mouthed anyone or any team.

Sucks for sure. He always seemed in interviews to be a humble nice guy. As has been mentioned, it is ironic that this happened on a bicycle rather than something , that on face value at least, is more dangerous. Not to be callous but he's probably better off than Michael Schumacher.

I had the good fortune of meeting him a couple of year ago at MotoGP in Austin. He was recovering from a broken wrist I believe. He couldn't have been nicer or more gracious to the crowd even when he was having a bum time. The last great American MotoGP racer. If you go log on to MotoGP news they have a video history that is good. Seeing him ride around the track carrying the Stars and Stripes as World Champion gives me chills.... Godspeed Nicky!...You da man.

roadscholar

Really, really sad. Two of my old riding buddy's grew up with Earl and watched the boys grow up. They had nothing but praise whenever they spoke of them. You never know when fate will intervene.

RandyShields

Sports Center reporting that Nicky succumbed to his brain injuries and passed away. So sad. What a great rider and personality. Very tragic.