IGNORED

Riding home from work

Steve1962

Neither epic nor arduous, here's a little video of me riding home from work on the Ugly Duckling........not ridden for ages so this is therapy to prevent cabin fever from setting in too much.

Work is in Chipping Norton - tenuous link as the track is by Gerry Rafferty, he recorded Baker street in a studio in the town.

Steve

Beautiful. Seeing those fields covered with that vibrant yellow rapeseed is one of the things I miss most from my time in England. Well, that and the Bird in Hand.

Beautiful. Seeing those fields covered with that vibrant yellow rapeseed is one of the things I miss most from my time in England. Well, that and the Bird in Hand.

Jake,

The Bird in Hand is but a few miles from home for me (well, one is anyway).

Plenty of colour now as the fields are full of the stuff.

Steve

very nice Steve...if my ride home looked like that I would go to work more often :)

Some nice riding roads around here.....

008.jpg010.jpg

A few times I've taken the long way home and a trip that should take less than twenty minutes has taken an hour and a half!!

Ok so I am a little slow, did not look at your signature. as you are turning, I am yelling into my screen "look out for the car" "oh no" "wait what happened" stop video, go back to thread, Oh England Duh

Haha..Probably could Google it but what the heck, I'm pretty good at asking dumb questions. :whistle: What is the reason for us driving on opposite sides of the road? :dontknow:

Pat

That road (B4437) is a peach to ride.......... undulating twists and turns, a couple of straights to let the engine breathe, and nice scenery.......but you do have to keep yer eyes peeled for deer.

IMG_0282.jpg

No matter what the weather, it's fabulous......

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

ps - Hi Marty, hope you are ok.

Steve

What is the reason for us driving on opposite sides of the road? :dontknow:

Pat

This is the position I've heard taken: "You Yanks may drive on the right side of the road, but we drive on the correct one. Now, don't get killed crossing the street - look to your right!"

Marty Hill

Steve, all is well. Thanks.

Jake, many years ago I was driving a Hertz car in England with my wife as a passenger. Stop sign, looked the wrong way and destroyed two Hertz cars. Oddly I was allowed to leave the country without a problem/assume they just wanted to get rid of me. :dopeslap:

I lived in the UK for a couple of years.. I didn't find it very hard to adapt...except for that right hand turn on to the round a bout from the left...the roundabouts are a piece of cake and beats the heck out of a four way stop...

I was told by local lore there were two reasons for driving on the left. The warriors were mostly right handed so to joust for your life it was important to keep your right side available...another guy told me it was because it was easier to put mail in rural mail boxes....

I lived in the UK for a couple of years.. I didn't find it very hard to adapt...except for that right hand turn on to the round a bout from the left...the roundabouts are a piece of cake and beats the heck out of a four way stop...

I was told by local lore there were two reasons for driving on the left. The warriors were mostly right handed so to joust for your life it was important to keep your right side available...another guy told me it was because it was easier to put mail in rural mail boxes....

Speaking of right handed warriors, the spiral staircases in medieval castles were designed to ascend clockwise, to make the attackers expose more of their body in order to use their swords in their right hands, thus making it easier for the defender to repel them.

Steve

• 1 month later...

OMG!! That brought back memories. I lived in Chippy from 1980-83 (loved it) then Deddington, Banbury, lower heyford, and Aynho. I was in the military at upper heyford from 1980-1988 and then again from 1990-1994. Actually played darts with jerry rafferty in the red lion and I spent a lot of time in the bunch of grapes back then. Anyway thanks! Very nice job on the video.