IGNORED

2004 rockster lh camchain tensioner compatible w 2014 r1200gs?

Imgnr

I have the ubiquitous clacking noise and was wondering if the 2014 r1200gs part will fit. Tje picture shows that theres a spring in it but most pics ans articles do not show the spring. Thanks

Very doubtful. There have been 13 years of development, and three major engine re-designs since your bike was made. You could look up the part on realoem.com, and click on the part number to see the application cross-reference.

I have the ubiquitous clacking noise and was wondering if the 2014 r1200gs part will fit. Tje picture shows that theres a spring in it but most pics ans articles do not show the spring. Thanks

Evening Imgnr

I haven't ever held them side by side but from memory they look different as the 1200WC engine uses

2 lowers.

The 2004 1150 uses a 3 piece L/H tensioner with all 3 parts having different part numbers & the 2014

1200WC is serviced only as a complete assembly.

The updated 1150 tensioner is--

11317688629 CYLINDER CHAIN TENSIONER, LEFT

11317656922 PISTON, LEFT

07119963308 GASKET RING, 18X22

The original 1150 (noisy) tensioner uses a single piston with an exposed spring &

the updated tensioner uses a 2 piece piston with no exposed spring.

Thank you all.

The parts that Dirtrider mentioned add up to about $120 on Bikebandit. Read somewhere that they should be $50 or $60.

Many people on the forum recommend that the tensioner be replaced because it supposedly could damage the rails, etc. Is this true? I don't care about the noise. I just dont want the engine to get messed up.

Thank you all.

The parts that Dirtrider mentioned add up to about $120 on Bikebandit. Read somewhere that they should be $50 or $60.

Many people on the forum recommend that the tensioner be replaced because it supposedly could damage the rails, etc. Is this true? I don't care about the noise. I just dont want the engine to get messed up.

Morning Imgnr

The tensioner parts used to be cheaper but, as with most BMW things, cost more now.

Some riders buy the 1100/1150 L/H tensioner kit from RCR -- http://rubberchickenracinggarage.com/chain.html

As to engine damage?-- that is possible IF the original tensioner isn't doing it's job of keeping the chain tight.

Found one from a 2005 1200gs for $50. Comes w the right one too. Any reason I should change the right one?

Found one from a 2005 1200gs for $50. Comes w the right one too. Any reason I should change the right one?

Evening Imgnr

The right side sits open end up so doesn't completely drain during overnight sitting so unless the R/H side has cam chain slap or cold start up rattle then no need to change it.

Thank you everyone for your great replies. I thought the 1200 engines were the same - didn't realize they've gone through a few iterations.

Edited by Imgnr