IGNORED

BMW Parts Price Vent

Roger C

I continue to me amazed. For years, I lusted after owning a BMW, the "Cadillac" of motorcycles. Now, over $1k invested in replacement parts, I have to question my decision to buy this R1100, which has proved to be an expensive cycle to maintain. Just about everyday, I read on this post "while you're in there, go ahead and replace such and such as it also will need to be replaced in short order." Yeah, my grips could stand replacing--if I want a showroom bike--but the thought of spending almost $300 for new grips causes me extreme heartburn. A $12 pair of foam covers nicely hide the ugly splits, stains, etc.

I thought after getting my HES rewired and replacing the LH cam chain tensioner, I would be done with maintenance for a long time. Now, I read a guy's clutch is failing at 66K miles. My R1100RT is not that far behind in miles although I have not detected any slippage. Then there are the high pressure gas lines and the big bearing failure in the rear end which could occur anytime, or maybe never. Who knows? I bought this cycle after the PO had spent almost $1900 for 48K maintenance at a reputable BMW shop. We have since found out not everything in that maintenance schedule was done or was done incorrectly, like clutch adjustment and TB sync. My right cylinder was so far off the scale, it took a big adjustment to bring it back in line. No wonder it wasn't running right before.

I was venting about my expenses to a friend with a later model R1100RT last week and his comment was "I will never buy another cycle that has been sitting, as the first thing to be replaced was a $2500 transmission." I'm getting off light--for now.

You need to quit reading the forums, because it will just make you worry about every little thing that can go wrong. Every component on every bike can fail and sooner or later they all show up on a forum because people like to bitch. That does not mean your bike will suffer that particular failure. For every clutch that is replaced at 66k you can find a hundred that last 2-3x that long, it's all in how they are (ab)used.

Go take a ride and remember why you bought your bike.:bike:

I bought this cycle after the PO had spent almost $1900 for 48K maintenance at a reputable BMW shop.

Morning Roger

The previous owner had the bike serviced for $1900.00 then sold the bike. Kind of makes a person wonder what they found during the service that prompted the PO to sell the bike after spending $1900.00 on service.

I too at time get sticker shock at the cost of some (not all) BMW service. Then I realize the kind of service I get at my BMW dealer versus the multi- brand metric dealers. I get to call and make an appointment with a specific master tech, I get to wait for the service to be done or get a loaner bike. I have owned 6 BMW's since 2000 and put about 30,000 miles on each. Have never had to do anything but normal service. All of my BMW's have held value better than other brands (try and sell a used Yamaha Tenere) and were relatively easy to sell. And the newer BMW's are even easier and cheaper to maintain .

If you read too much on the internet you can easily become a motorcycle hypochondriac

Edited by RTinNC
Hank R1200RT

Anecdote here. In 2002 or so (memory fails me), Triumph had a full-line recall of all fuel-injected motorcycles. A plastic fuel line fitting with a right-angle bend was cracking and they had to replace them across all bikes. The replacement part instantly went on back order.

I had a small leak and did not want to wait for Hinckley to do the free recall. Triumph part was about $20-ish. If you could find one still in stock.

But some internet Triumph posters found out that Ducati used the same part! (Triumph reliability with Ducati prices -- what more could one want?) Found one at Pro Italia (Ducati had not started their recall yet) - price about $40-ish. Bought it and installed it, then had the better replacement eventually installed under the recall.

Did some further research -- found that BMW also used the same part -- price $50-ish. Also recalled later IIRC.

It turned out that the real supplier was a company named Colder in Minnesota (who picked that name?). There were some detail differences in the three parts, but they were still interchangeable.

Price? About $7-ish.

So...to economize on parts...find the actual manufacturer and buy there. Sadly, won't work with some expensive BMW parts, but the various replacement lists on the internet may be your friend.

'04 RT. 94k.

I guess with the mileage I should be fretting over: (short list here)

standard clutch suddenly going

standard alternator failing

final drive crashing, and ME crashing

front wheel bearings giving it up

ABS Servo system suddenly dying, BIG BUCKS!

Let's see, electric windshield motor dying in the middle of a trip

Heated grips

Relays

Fuses

Motronic............

I guess I'm surprised that with just routine maintenance, none of that has happened and I continue to commute, tour on this bike, like I just bought it. But then again, my R90s is pushing 140k and has never once left me stranded.

"the cheapest thing on a BMW IS sometimes........"

Edited by RPG

I now have 175k on my 04 RT. My fist major failure was at around 90k when the final drive went. I never had any other failure that caused me not to be able to make it home except when the ABS servo failed at around 150k. I was about a day away from home at the time and it is actually the only time that I have to haul it home (except for tire problems). It is my belief that many BMW owners change parts on their bikes because they heard that they should before it will definitely fail. I don't follow that philosophy. I do believe in routine maintenance. I replaced the clutch at about 125k because I was doing a spline lube and replacing a failed slave cylinder. I had already done two prior spline lubes but saw no reason to change the clutch then as I have heard others often do.

I now have 175k on my 04 RT. My fist major failure was at around 90k when the final drive went. I never had any other failure that caused me not to be able to make it home except when the ABS servo failed at around 150k. I was about a day away from home at the time and it is actually the only time that I have to haul it home (except for tire problems). It is my belief that many BMW owners change parts on their bikes because they heard that they should before it will definitely fail. I don't follow that philosophy. I do believe in routine maintenance. I replaced the clutch at about 125k because I was doing a spline lube and replacing a failed slave cylinder. I had already done two prior spline lubes but saw no reason to change the clutch then as I have heard others often do.

The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.

Now that is funny!

greiffster
I bought this cycle after the PO had spent almost $1900 for 48K maintenance at a reputable BMW shop. We have since found out not everything in that maintenance schedule was done or was done incorrectly, like clutch adjustment and TB sync.

Roger, I have a hard time getting passed this part. ^^^ ^^^

Don't you have to fix this issue before having any real discussion of the cost of ownership or maintenance or parts?

I've owned 4 BMW bikes...and quite frankly the forums scare me a little too...but knock on wood across those 4 bikes and something north of 40K each bike, the worst thing I've really had was routine maintenance. The only broken parts was the plastic quick disconnects on my 1150RT...and quite frankly had I been more gentle with them when removing the tank to replace the filter...they probably would have been ok. I replaced with metal from beemerboneyard.

The starter went out on my 5 year old Tahoe...can you say $600. The air conditioner died on wifes 3.5 year old Lexus....can you say $3500..thank goodness Lexus said ok we will cover it all and they did.

My house is now 8 years old... $12,000 to paint it. Replaced the hot/cold faucet for washer...$350...

At the end of the day........stuff is expensive. At the end of the day the preventive maintenance I've learned about through DR,Roger,Terry, and many others on this forum kept my BMW breakage to near zero.

Don't get too spooked.

I think you're referring to me. My '99 that I've owned 6 months and ridden 1000mi has 66k on it, and its been a bit troublesome.

But lets be fair. I got it cheap. Its got new Ohlins, AF-XiED, Shop manual, new battery, new tires, just had a major service and came with lots of spares.

Had I paid twice as much... I might be mad. But I didn't.

The HES wiring? Could have gotten any of us. No big deal. Should have done that first instead of messing around with ignition, O2, the AF-XiED, etc.

The clutch? Of course everyone wants a deal. If I paid someone to fix the clutch, I'd be at what I should have paid for what I got... and have a new clutch. So I'm coming out fine. Not a "screaming deal", but not unreasonable either.

I think these bikes are fine machines as long as you buy at the right price and can do some of your own work to defray maintenance costs.

A 21 year old bike that needs maintenance. I'm shocked.

I'd come help you, but I'm floored...

Come on, used vehicles are a risk.

Used motorcycles?

Well...

Unless you know the bike and total ownership provenance, always issues, regradless of marque .

And, even if it is your best friend and you rode every mile with each other, stuff wears out even with all maintenance done as required.

Parts expensive?

Perhaps.

But try finding parts for other marques 21 year old cycles,

:rofl:

Then compare costs.

First those bikes may not have had the gear the BMW had, ABS, heated grips, electric screen, etc.

Second, mileage is a factor.

Third, goodluck finding someone, especially a dealership, to work on older models. Many HD places won't touch the "vintage" models.

Many other Euro dealers can't get parts except every February 29th, so the bike sits.

Many Japanese dealerships have techs who weren't even born yet when the bike was released, and may/may not understand the idiosyncracies of that model.

Seen plenty of FJR's, HD's with big miles.'But, I've seen a scadillion and one beemers with huge miles.

Not all trouble free, of course.

But somehow, maintained and kept on the road, for some reason.

Check out the airheads.

I doubt any other marque has so many bikes, out of total production amount, from so far back, on the road seeing regular use.

When people bought older BMW's around here (and this is a few years back so I'm sure $$$ has gone up). I always told them, "hope for the best, but plan on $pending $1500 or so, soon, and maybe more".

So, yes, it can be expensive to ride any older motorcycle.

Is that unique to BMW?

No.

What I have found is unique is the network of riders willing to assist each other, dealerships that for the most part can get parts and have an idea of what the bike needs, and a riding esxperience that is truly enjoyable.

Best wishes

Shiny Side Up
You need to quit reading the forums, because it will just make you worry about every little thing that can go wrong. Every component on every bike can fail and sooner or later they all show up on a forum because people like to bitch. That does not mean your bike will suffer that particular failure. For every clutch that is replaced at 66k you can find a hundred that last 2-3x that long, it's all in how they are (ab)used.

Go take a ride and remember why you bought your bike.:bike:

^^^ THIS x 100 ^^^

A 21 year old bike that needs maintenance. I'm shocked.

I'd come help you, but I'm floored...

Come on, used vehicles are a risk.

Used motorcycles?

Well...

Unless you know the bike and total ownership provenance, always issues, regradless of marque .

And, even if it is your best friend and you rode every mile with each other, stuff wears out even with all maintenance done as required.

Parts expensive?

Perhaps.

But try finding parts for other marques 21 year old cycles,

:rofl:

Then compare costs.

First those bikes may not have had the gear the BMW had, ABS, heated grips, electric screen, etc.

Second, mileage is a factor.

Third, goodluck finding someone, especially a dealership, to work on older models. Many HD places won't touch the "vintage" models.

Many other Euro dealers can't get parts except every February 29th, so the bike sits.

Many Japanese dealerships have techs who weren't even born yet when the bike was released, and may/may not understand the idiosyncracies of that model.

Seen plenty of FJR's, HD's with big miles.'But, I've seen a scadillion and one beemers with huge miles.

Not all trouble free, of course.

But somehow, maintained and kept on the road, for some reason.

Check out the airheads.

I doubt any other marque has so many bikes, out of total production amount, from so far back, on the road seeing regular use.

When people bought older BMW's around here (and this is a few years back so I'm sure $$$ has gone up). I always told them, "hope for the best, but plan on $pending $1500 or so, soon, and maybe more".

So, yes, it can be expensive to ride any older motorcycle.

Is that unique to BMW?

No.

What I have found is unique is the network of riders willing to assist each other, dealerships that for the most part can get parts and have an idea of what the bike needs, and a riding esxperience that is truly enjoyable.

Best wishes

Some great points made above and the reason I really like owning a BMW!

In addition buying a used motorcycle can be a great value and experience. But like any used vehicle there is usually some maintenance needed. Buying used can save you thousands of $$ but you need to understand what buying used means. Also, like any vehicle with age and use things will wear but that is expected. It is all part of the ownership experience.

roadscholar

Check out some Honda prices if you think BMW stuff is expensive. Nearly every manufacturer pretty much gouges us at the dealer level for OEM stuff because one, they have a near monopoly on it, and two because they know a big enough percentage of people will pay it.

I had a guy bend a front rotor on a 99 VFR800 changing a tire once. The local dealer wanted 500 bucks for a new one. Luckily a buddy that built race cars across the parking lot straightened it in a press.

Out of curiosity I just checked on a gas tank for that CB1100 in your profile, only $1000. which translates to more like $1200. because your dealer will likely mark it up another 20%. Not too bad actually : )

Shiny Side Up

Motorcycles, boats, campers = RECREATION... and nothing associated with recreational activities is cheap.

A good friend rides a Harley and says HD stands for "hundred dollars" 'cause that seems like the minimum price for anything associated with his motorcycle.

Just the way it is...

While I agree with much of the OP's sentiments (okay, I admit it, I'm broke too!), there are alternatives: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And ebay.

The up side to all those high dollar parts they sell, is that they DO sell them. I've gone in and asked for random dumb little things for my 78 R100, and Christ on a bicycle, it's available! Go in and ask for a door handle for a 78 Dodge. Good luck!

JWMcDonald

Standard joke back in the 80's with the Big 4 was that parts pricing was predicated on kicking over the new model bike in the lot, and jacking up the prices on any / every thing that broke, scratched, etc.

When I inherited my first BMW from a really good friend that died of liver cancer I road it back from Pennsylvania to North Carolina. After one year of riding I realized that the BMW was all I was riding and the Honda I owned needed to be sold. A friend had a friend that wanted to purchase the Honda. Since there was this relationship, I took the Honda to the dealer, had them change fluids and ensure the bike was in great shape. Total cost was $80 (it was 2005). At the same time I thought I had never done this for the BMW and I should know about any hidden items on that bike so I took it to the dealer for the same work as the Honda. Total cost $375.

When I inherited my first BMW from a really good friend that died of liver cancer I road it back from Pennsylvania to North Carolina. After one year of riding I realized that the BMW was all I was riding and the Honda I owned needed to be sold. A friend had a friend that wanted to purchase the Honda. Since there was this relationship, I took the Honda to the dealer, had them change fluids and ensure the bike was in great shape. Total cost was $80 (it was 2005). At the same time I thought I had never done this for the BMW and I should know about any hidden items on that bike so I took it to the dealer for the same work as the Honda. Total cost $375.

And you continue to ride the BMW. Some things are just worth the cost.

Yeeha! Stephen

It's not always that way.

I'm on the pro side of the BMW maintenance picture.

I too heard all the horror stories. I just learned to do my own maintenance and I've been in good shape since.

My 2002 RT has almost 200k on it and the only failure was a Final Drive.

Still on the original clutch, Trans, Engine, Throttle Cables...

My 2012 RT has 90k on it and I've had ZERO troubles. Only changed tires, Alt belt, and brake pads. (and normal maint stuff)

My 2012 R has 25k on it and ZERO troubles. (same for the maint stuff)

My 2016 RS... Zero troubles in 13k.

I say ride it till it falls dead in the road and learn how to work on it yourself.

Or for the best of the BMW world. Buy new, with a Maint Plan, and an extended warranty and just let BMW work on it!

These are great machines!

It's not always that way.

I'm on the pro side of the BMW maintenance picture.

I too heard all the horror stories. I just learned to do my own maintenance and I've been in good shape since.

My 2002 RT has almost 200k on it and the only failure was a Final Drive.

Still on the original clutch, Trans, Engine, Throttle Cables...

My 2012 RT has 90k on it and I've had ZERO troubles. Only changed tires, Alt belt, and brake pads. (and normal maint stuff)

My 2012 R has 25k on it and ZERO troubles. (same for the maint stuff)

My 2016 RS... Zero troubles in 13k.

I say ride it till it falls dead in the road and learn how to work on it yourself.

Or for the best of the BMW world. Buy new, with a Maint Plan, and an extended warranty and just let BMW work on it!

These are great machines!

Your experience is more consistent with mine and my riding buddies. None of us have had any issues other than usual maintenance or BMW recall items. We all do the simple maintenance stuff like oil changes, final drive fluid and gear box changes and air filter and spark plugs. Anything else we have the dealer handle but the cost is reasonable and with the new LC bikes the dealer stuff is usually every 12K.