IGNORED

Grips getting sticky...

McDuugle

Seemingly over the span of a month my grips have stared to get sticky and tacky. The left one even leaves black marks on my hand. Weird since they have not come in contact with any agents that would dissolve them, but it is what it is I guess. Anyone know where and if I should look for replacements?

Any nice aftermarket options or only OEM?

And is replacement a simple procedure?

1998 R1100RT Heated grips option.

An option is buy some "Grip Puppies" or similar foam grip covers. Mine have been on for over a year (parked inside a garage.)

Seemingly over the span of a month my grips have stared to get sticky and tacky. The left one even leaves black marks on my hand. Weird since they have not come in contact with any agents that would dissolve them, but it is what it is I guess. Anyone know where and if I should look for replacements?

Any nice aftermarket options or only OEM?

And is replacement a simple procedure?

1998 R1100RT Heated grips option.

Why not just fit new OEM grips ?

Hi Roger. I know what you mean. For me, I detest those foam grips. They look cheap and feel cheap. So I would buy the OEM grips. After all when you put that against the other costs of running these bikes, then the cost doesn't feel so bad.

Seems as if every time I turn around it cost me $100+ for BMW parts. Heated grips are nice, but where I live, I could do without them. If it gets cold enough to require heated grips, I'll be in my car.

Seems as if every time I turn around it cost me $100+ for BMW parts. Heated grips are nice, but where I live, I could do without them. If it gets cold enough to require heated grips, I'll be in my car.

Them grips look as they are: cheap. You can replace them every other year, and that is not so bad.

It takes a little getting used to, since they make the grip much bigger in diameter. I am like you,

I don't care about heated grips or seat! But thought I give them foam grips a try and I got used to

them. I just didn't want to go thru the trouble to eliminate the wires from the heaters. Maybe next

winter will look into it, and replace them with a set of Rizoma look alike from eBay!

I can feel heat from the grips thru the foam covers and my leather gloves. Bare hands on the grips by themselves would probably be "toasty."

I even thought about wrapping the grips with the sticky tape used on tennis racket grips just to hide my ugly OEM grips but found the foam grips at my Honda dealer for $12/pair.

Edited by Roger C

Hi. Just replaced my grips, $42.including tax. Ordered 2 right hand grips from a non heated version. Used a razor and hairspray to cut off old and slide on new. Easy job. Would do it again as my original grips lasted 80k.

Btw my bike is an 03 rt

Edited by joeb
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought the grips on E-Bay and they seem fine (looks just like oem) - also installed new hand heaters as well. Not sure about long term durability but the pair were only about $7 or $8...