IGNORED

Winter is coming....

Medic Mike

Medic Mike

....well not for a while hopefully. Anyways, I have been pondering on getting something a little nicer for my hands for the fall/winter/spring category. Here in NC I can usually ride year round and try to. Right now I am using Kilm Inversion Pro with the Gore Windstopper liner. Been thinking of going for a gauntlet style that is also water proof. The Windstopper does a good job of keeping my hands dry though in heavy rains (late fall and early spring) not so much. Also, since they are not a gauntlet style water tends to leak in where my jacket fastens over the gloves. So, thus my question to the experienced minds here. Here are the two I have been heavily looking into, though I am not 100% on either. I am trying to stay under a $300 budget for these.

BMW Two in One

Held Twin

Honorable Mention:

Klim Adventure

One of the major problems I have run into is the thickness of the palm(s). Since we have heated grips, I do not need a thick insulated palm. More or less trying to find heat retention on the back of the hand/fingers, wet weather protection and wind protection on the back of the hand/fingers.

Again, I am open to suggestions so please do not think I am focusing my attention on these three. I know I will have to sacrifice something, for it is next to impossible to find one thing to cover so many variables.

Thanks everyone

Mike

Edited by Medic Mike

I have the Helds,probably good for your climate.I spent two years in Winston-Salem at WFU,so familiar with the region.

The Helds have good control sensation,not too thick in palms.

Waterproofing seems good,but have not really given them a good test,as we have been in a drought here until this past winter.

They are my main glove nowadays.

FYI,there is a pair of the BMW's for sale over on ADVRider.com now for less than 1/2 of new cost

I bought my Held's on EBay in almost new condition for $125.

JR356

realshelby

Never owned the ones you mentioned. But I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once while wearing gloves so here goes....I have only found (1) pair of gloves that do not allow my hand to get wet in extended rain riding. Tourmaster. I have paid probably 3 or 4 times what those cost for "waterproof" gloves. Eska was probably the biggest disappointment. Some are so hot that you sweat in them in higher temps.

I think I have solved all those issues with the Aerostich rain covers. While stupid looking and not all that easy to get comfortable with, they work.

Aerostitich Triple Digit

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cuts wind, adds to range of comfort.

Add silk glove liners for a plus 15-20 temp range easily.

But, I'd suggest Gerbings, or other heated gloves.

Mike, I'm not far from you and I do ride year round.

A few years ago, I commuted down to 7 degrees with NO heated gear. I had commuted like that for several years and the only things that really got cold were the pinky and thumb.

I've now adopted heater liner and the heated gloves by Glyde (Gerbing). I use the remote control mounted on my dash to control the heat. Generally, I don't turn on heat unless it's below 40 and that just depends on my mood. I commute 1 hour each way.

The gloves are warm enough that you don't need alot of heat to stay comfortable.

Medic Mike

I have traveled numerous times in under 25 degree days, sans windchill factor and the Klim Windstoppers I have work well, add the heated grips and life is good. Trying to add some rain protection that the Windstopper does not allow. Between thermal liners I "forgot" to give back to the Army and my jacket, have not had a cold core in a long time.

T5 Hybrid from Gerbings are the gloves I got and the control module that works the jacket liner and gloves......adjust on the fly.

The gloves are more of a water resistant than a water proof. In the nice downpours that we get, by the time I get to work/home on the commute, I can feel the dampness inside the gloves.

....well not for a while hopefully. Anyways, I have been pondering on getting something a little nicer for my hands for the fall/winter/spring category. Here in NC I can usually ride year round and try to. Right now I am using Kilm Inversion Pro with the Gore Windstopper liner. Been thinking of going for a gauntlet style that is also water proof. The Windstopper does a good job of keeping my hands dry though in heavy rains (late fall and early spring) not so much. Also, since they are not a gauntlet style water tends to leak in where my jacket fastens over the gloves. So, thus my question to the experienced minds here. Here are the two I have been heavily looking into, though I am not 100% on either. I am trying to stay under a $300 budget for these.

BMW Two in One

Held Twin

Honorable Mention:

Klim Adventure

One of the major problems I have run into is the thickness of the palm(s). Since we have heated grips, I do not need a thick insulated palm. More or less trying to find heat retention on the back of the hand/fingers, wet weather protection and wind protection on the back of the hand/fingers.

Again, I am open to suggestions so please do not think I am focusing my attention on these three. I know I will have to sacrifice something, for it is next to impossible to find one thing to cover so many variables.

Morning Mike

Trying to find GOOD waterproof cold weather gloves that don't eventually seep moisture is more than difficult.

Over the years I have tried a number of cold weather waterproof gloves only to be disappointed as they all seem to eventually leak.

So, years ago I gave up on a single glove for all circumstances & now use dedicated waterproof gloves for wet weather & less weatherproof but warmer gloves for cold weather.

What I found is that it doesn't rain in my area in sub zero weather (snow or ice sure but once it gets real cold, in the 20°f range or below, then not much actual rain). The down side of fully waterproof gloves is that they don't breathe worth a hoot so in warmer weather so I need to change out the inner liners during a long ride just due to moisture from my hands.

For regular cold weather gloves (no real rain) I can't help you much as my cold weather is usually real cold (like down to below 0°f) so I use gauntlet style insulated snowmobile gloves, or in real cold & long distance I use heated gloves. (I almost never use the heated grips as my palms never get cold but my finger tips & back on my hands do, if I use the heated grips my hands sweat enough to make my gloves damp inside)

For very wet riding in cool to moderately cold weather I use gauntlet (ie long) electrical insulation rubber gloves with cotton or wool inserts depending on ambient temps). These don't breathe so for longer rides will probably need the inserts replaced occasionally.

Everybody is different in what they require or need so try different types or combinations.

The one thing that I can say is don't get onto the MOTORCYCLE ONLY glove groove. You don't need MOTORCYCLE gloves you need cold weather gloves that work for your riding situation & personal hand comfort. In a lot of cases that means branching out into the other winter sports categories (like snowmobiling, hiking, or ice fishing)

Charles Elms

When it really rains, I've found these to work, always:

Aerostitich Triple Digit

Shiny Side Up

Ok - I'm tight...

I use some rubber chemical handling type gloves that are a gauntlet type glove and large enough to slip over my riding gloves. Not pretty but they work.

Got 'em at a farm store - they use 'em to handle fertilizer, herbicide, etc.

Medic Mike

Thank you everyone for the input. I was asking for there are some decent off season gloves clearanced around my area.

Mike

Thank you everyone for the input. I was asking for there are some decent off season gloves clearanced around my area.

Mike

Keep your eyes open on www.shopgoodwill.com. I've got some very good deals from there. Aerostitch Roadcrafter for $299 shipped, used but like new.

Medic Mike

A dear friend of mine just donated his Alpinestar Goretex gloves to me. That solves that problem...what to think of next...

I recently splurged on all weather gloves with the BMW logo on them. While I have yet to ride a long ride in the rain with them, they seem to work. Hope they wear as well as my warm/fair weather BMW gloves. I cringed when I spent $100 for summer gloves but they show little wear and have outlasted 4 pair of $40 gloves so it was a good spend.

If you can get past the logo and price some of the HD gear is well made and functions well...you'll have to walk past the doo-rag and skull shirt rack to get to the real stuff though

steve.foote
Aerostitich Triple Digit

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cuts wind, adds to range of comfort.

Add silk glove liners for a plus 15-20 temp range easily.

+1 on the Aerostitch lobster claws. Inexpensive, completely water and wind proof, pack small.

Hank R1200RT

Regarding:

+1 on the Aerostitch lobster claws. Inexpensive, completely water and wind proof, pack small.

I have a pair, use them infrequently, and while they are great for their intended purpose, they don't stay waterproof forever. Mine are leaking at the seams and they need a visit from Mr. Scotchguard. But recommended nonetheless.

Coming from a coolish climate, I have had the BMW two in one glove for 2 years now and here is my impression:

They are very good gloves for the temperature range of 0°C (32°F) to 21°C (70° F) but they are a bit warm above that. The kangaroo hide palm is very nice and my hands stay dry up to about 3 hrs of rain. Protection is pretty good, although the gauntlets aren't that long and can be hard to fit over a jacket with rain suit.

BUT .... they are VERY cold once they get wet, since the leather takes so long to dry out. So although your hands are dry, if it is still raining and cold (below 10°C or 50°F) the heated grips can't put out enough heat to keep my hands warm.

Although cumbersome, I prefer the Aerostich triple digits over my Held gloves if I know I have quite a few hours of rain ahead of me.

Mike Cassidy