IGNORED

Re: PR 4 GT Tires

Skywagon

I'm reluctant to ask this question for one to show I don't know the answer to the question and for fear I might start a tire thread...which is not my intention to debate brands or mileage.

I have PR4GT's on my 2014RT. They've been on there for 12,500 miles. I don't know how to look for the wear bars. Does anyone have a picture or can educate me about the wear bar indicators on this tire please. There is no obvious issue or odd performance but don't want to get surprised one day and see cord.

I've searched the Michelin web site and nothing I can find.

Edited by Skywagon

I don't have a picture at this moment. But if you have no traces of tread left in the center of the rear tire, you are getting close to the point that you should change tires.

I have worn out several PR-3's and PR-4GT's and have never seen any cords. The rubber on Michelin tires is much thicker then on Metzler or Pirelli tires.

This is a picture here from Michelin, about halfway down the page.

The TWI is the little flat-topped bump in the bottom of the tread groove. Once you see one, you will be able to spot the others, positioned across the tread in the vicinity of the little Michelin men.

Edited by lkraus
duckbubbles

To find the wear bars on the PR4, look at the very edge of the tread on either side of the tire. At several places on each side you will see a directional arrow and a little Michelin man. Look across the tire at these points and you will find the wear bars.

Frank

Thanks folks....I found the arrow and the little man on the front. I wasn't sure what to do with it...but I found it. I took my tire depth gauge and measured the lowest tread in the center and it was 3/32. I found the arrow on the rear but no fat guy in a white suit. Lowest tread depth was almost 4.

I guess I'll give them about another 1000 then throw them away on principle.

Thanks folks..always heard about wear marks but really no clue until now.

David, did you actually find/see the wear bar in the tread area? I have been measuring the tread depth down to these wear bars when new, and every 1000 or so miles of the tire life. Writing it down. Trying to figure out how many miles left in them at a given depth. Some tires also have a "twi" moulded into the sidewall directly across from the tread depth bars.

If I actually got that many miles from a rear tire I would be ecstatic......

Terry..the little fat guy shows on the side of the tire. The wear bar per the Michelin web site isn't showing yet. I'm going to MotoGP in 2 weeks so will probably put 1000 on it messing around Austin, Luckenbach, etc. I'll change them when I get back. Moshe said he noticed the stiffness in the side wall's on his commute. They just feel like a tire to me.

• 1 month later...

So here's a question for yall. New '17 RT, came with PR4GT's and getting close to ordering some new tires. Assume I need to continue with a "GT" class tire. What other brands you guys liking on your LC-RT's? Don't want to start a dreaded tire thread here. But probably just did lol.

John in VA

I'm considering the new Dunlop Roadsmart III after my PR4GTs wear out. I've seen some positive published reviews. Made in USA, FWIW. All I need now is a forum member guinea pig to confirm... :)

I'm considering the new Dunlop Roadsmart III after my PR4GTs wear out. I've seen some positive published reviews. Made in USA, FWIW. All I need now is a forum member guinea pig to confirm... :)

Put 2 sets of these on my '14 RT & just stuck a set on my '16 RT last week. Just on a 3 week trip around Europe, hopefully 7 countries! For me these are a better handling tyre. The tip in for cornering is quicker having a steeper profile. Wear rate is equivalent to PR4'S. Wet weather handling is as good also. I ride all year round in Britain, so need some good water dispersion!

Edited by mileypop

Thanks for the input--I like the way those look so I ordered a rear. My PR4's are not wearing the way I like them to. Cupping and look to be gone sooner than they would have been on my GS.

I've had the Z8's it came with.

PR4 GT's

Continental Road Attack 2 EVO GT's

Now on Roadtec 01's.

01's definitely best for me. But at 2000 miles, it remains to be seen how far they will go, and how much warning they will provide. I did not like how the Z8's wore out; not one bit.

While I appreciate the tread life, and the ease of monitoring the end of the tread life, I really did not like the PR4's. I found them markedly stiff and the least responsive of the four tires that I've tried.

John in VA

Put 2 sets of these on my '14 RT & just stuck a set on my '16 RT last week. Just on a 3 week trip around Europe, hopefully 7 countries! For me these are a better handling tyre. The tip in for cornering is quicker having a steeper profile. Wear rate is equivalent to PR4'S. Wet weather handling is as good also. I ride all year round in Britain, so need some good water dispersion!

Thanks Miles, I think I'll try them next time.

I want to try them as well.

To top it off, there's a $60 rebate right now (through the end of June I believe) on the Roadsmart III's ... I'm thinking about picking up a set to have when my PR4GT's need replacing.

To top it off, there's a $60 rebate right now (through the end of June I believe) on the Roadsmart III's ... I'm thinking about picking up a set to have when my PR4GT's need replacing.

You have a link to that rebate? All I see are the RS2's and Elites.

Thanks for the input! I had been looking at those reviews also, and was also curious.

My '15 RT came with Z8, and that was a good tire. Then that was replaced with PR4GT, which is what I am using now. Handling is excellent, and at 5k+ miles, I have very little wear with just the beginning of some cupping of the front tire. Can't see the cupping, but I can feel the wear with my fingers. My short list of tires to try next is the Roadtec 01 and the Angel GT, and now I will add the Dunlop to that list!

John in VA

https://www.jakewilson.com/t/3783/Dunlop-Motorcycle-Tires

There are similar rebates for the other brands also.

Looks like it's good through June 30 and you have to buy Road Hazard Program at the same time.

Dunlop Rebate

https://www.jakewilson.com/t/3783/Dunlop-Motorcycle-Tires

There are similar rebates for the other brands also.

Looks like it's good through June 30 and you have to buy Road Hazard Program at the same time.

Dunlop Rebate

That's the Pro-Dealer rebate but there's another rebate just for a set of tires:

Dunlop Rebate

I downloaded the form but can't seem to find where I got it from.

Edited by LIRider

jsut put on roadsmart rear yesterday. scuffed in 50 miles feels great so far. will decide if i like better than michelin this weekend.600 miles planned, 7600 out of last pr4gt. hoping for more. final push was price 300 shipped to door with 60 rebate in the mail. jake wilson does rebate for you