IGNORED

Newbie Camhead Question

Medic Mike

Medic Mike

Evening everyone:

This may be an inane question, but as states above I am a newbie to the Camhead community. I upgraded fro, a 2006RT (Hexhead) to a Camhead (2011) and my inquiry is about MPG. On my 06, when I kept my RPM under 5K (3rd gear, 35-45mph, 4th 45-60mph) I was able to maximize my MPG. Now, this Camhead is throwing a wrench into this. I was riding my bike today and was riding it like my 06 and my MPG went down. Then when I spun it up, keeping the RPM between 4-5k it went up. So....do the Camheads like to run a little higher?

On a side note, the gearing changes are taking some getting used (that and the turn signals. I have lost track how many times I have hit he horn thinking a paddle was there). Not used to running third gear to 60mph without that Hexhead shimmy and shake.

Thanks everyone

Mike

Evening everyone:

This may be an inane question, but as states above I am a newbie to the Camhead community. I upgraded fro, a 2006RT (Hexhead) to a Camhead (2011) and my inquiry is about MPG. On my 06, when I kept my RPM under 5K (3rd gear, 35-45mph, 4th 45-60mph) I was able to maximize my MPG. Now, this Camhead is throwing a wrench into this. I was riding my bike today and was riding it like my 06 and my MPG went down. Then when I spun it up, keeping the RPM between 4-5k it went up. So....do the Camheads like to run a little higher?

On a side note, the gearing changes are taking some getting used (that and the turn signals. I have lost track how many times I have hit he horn thinking a paddle was there). Not used to running third gear to 60mph without that Hexhead shimmy and shake.

Thanks everyone

Mike

Evening Mike

How did you determine that your mileage went down? If you went by the onboard computer then it might not have given you accurate mileage.

If the mileage computer & miles are not reset at every fill up then it can sometimes give errors in fuel mileage.

The other thing that can effect fuel mileage is grade of gasoline, if you didn't get premium gasoline (I don't mean buy premium) but actually get it pumped into your tank then the knock sensors can pull spark advance out & that can lower fuel mileage (riding in a lower gear with less engine load could keep it from pulling a lot of spark advance out)

Medic Mike

DR:

My apologies for not stating that information sooner. I reset computer with each fill up. I use either BP or Shell premium or Ethanol free (when available). I have put a tank of Shell and BP through it and averaged 45.5mpg for those two tanks. The third tank was BP, Premium and averaged 36.5mpg riding the way I used to on my 06 initially. Same type of roads as the previous fill ups. The bike was just purchased (yesterday) and has received its 42k servicing and is up to date on all recalls. It will not change how I feel about the bike. I can see why you think this is one of the best models of RT made (have not ridden a waterhead yet).

Thanks again DR, hopefully this may add the info you needed. Like I said, this is a great machine and rides much smoother than my 06 RT. Just something I noticed. I can guarantee there will be more questions coming forth as I put some miles on it.

DR:

My apologies for not stating that information sooner. I reset computer with each fill up. I use either BP or Shell premium or Ethanol free (when available). I have put a tank of Shell and BP through it and averaged 45.5mpg for those two tanks. The third tank was BP, Premium and averaged 36.5mpg riding the way I used to on my 06 initially. Same type of roads as the previous fill ups. The bike was just purchased (yesterday) and has received its 42k servicing and is up to date on all recalls. It will not change how I feel about the bike. I can see why you think this is one of the best models of RT made (have not ridden a waterhead yet).

Thanks again DR, hopefully this may add the info you needed. Like I said, this is a great machine and rides much smoother than my 06 RT. Just something I noticed. I can guarantee there will be more questions coming forth as I put some miles on it.

Morning Mike

You might give it a couple of weeks to see if the fuel economy increases. I seldom get good fuel economy on a new-to-me bike as I'm always prodding at the throttle to see what the new engine feels like under pull.

If you were riding into a decent wind at speed that alone can significantly decrease your fuel mileage.

The 36.5 mpg is a bit low for that bike but riding into a strong wind, or riding at 90mph + could explain that one. (or that tank of BP was not high octane, more than one gas station has been slapped on the wrist for dumping regular fuel in their premium holding tank to increase profits)

Sorry, 3rd gear to 60

:rofl:

not personal, please don't take offense,

but my old GT hears that and giggles.

Alright, maybe a chortle or two too...

:wave:

3rd gear is for a ton, then 3 more for fun.

;)

DR is right.

First tanks on a new bike usually have more wrist involved.

Best wishes.

:Cool:

Medic Mike

Tim:

On my 06 RT and my 04 RT, they got very irritated with me when I stay in 3rd and get above 50. I have had to pay more attention to the speedometer than before. With the older ones I could get away with bike vibration and know my speed. Just having to learn the Camhead.

Thank you

Mike

Edited by Medic Mike