IGNORED

Wreck someone ELSE's bike!! NmS Debacle

markgoodrich

markgoodrich

Let's see, April 28-May31st...that's um, 4 1/2 weeks ago, not quite long enough to begin forgetting how much it hurts to fall down.

I won't go into the details about how and why I crashed Carl's brand new VFR 800, other than to say I made a series of bad decisions, each one compounding the others, resulting in a totaled VFR, four very dramatically fractured (that means broken in two, not cracked) ribs and a pneumothorax. All accomplished in front of the majority of the NmS attendees. A week in the Fresno hospital's Level I trauma ward, where I was a victim of the medical field's paranoia about over-prescribing pain medications resolved the collapsed lung, did nothing for the ribs, as there is nothing to do for ribs other than not prescribe enough pain meds for the pitiful patient to be remotely comfortable.

A word of advice: when you snap a bunch of ribs (four), do not ride in a car from Fresno to Austin. Not these days, when the docs give you just enough pain med to make you curse the day they (and you) were born.

My header for this thread is misleading, as I wrecked Carl Williams' beautiful new bike. I wish I had wrecked my K16, as I'd decided to sell it...but hey, Carl ended up with a more deluxe VFR replacement and MedJet shipped my bike home, so that actually ended fairly well.

Upon busting the ribs, I immediately retired from motorcycling, even while RTRuss was standing over me shading me from the cruel son. All during the horror of the hospital stay I stayed retired. Ditto the grueling ride home in the car. Ditto the next two weeks. BUT: at my advanced age, memory fades rapidly. I'm down to taking ibuprofen and tylenol for the pain, so how bad can it be, huh? I thought about triking my Mercedes convertible, but nah, I just need a lighter bike. Right?

I do want to thank all who were along on the ride that day for being tactful and not calling me a freaking idiot Worst Rider In The World for having ridden the bike into a tall dirt embankment.

ATGATT is a given amongst most of you who read this, but let me add GGG: GET GOOD GEAR. Cheap suits and armor will not do a very good job of saving your life. Here's what hit that wall, pushed by a 500 lb motorcycle going 30 or so mph: right foot, ankle, shin, knee, hip, elbo, shoulder, and head. The armor in my suit protected everything from even slight damage. Think it wasn't a hard hit? Those ribs beg to differ.

So glad to hear it wasn't even more severe. :thumbsup:

Sorry to head that sufficient pain meds weren't prescribed. You don't heal when you are hurting. :dopeslap:

Hope that the memory fades enough that you may consider riding again. :clap:

Bill_Walker

It seems like stuff like this always happens when I can't make it to an event I usually attend. Then again, Richard slayed his deer when I was in Torrey, so maybe it's just my memory.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you're on the mend, sorry to hear about Carl's old new bike, glad to hear about Carl's new new bike, and sorry to hear about your struggle with inadequate pain meds. And glad to hear that good gear works, as does MedJet coverage.

... I just need a lighter bike. Right?

And maybe one of these: Turtle_HVweb_degonfle_1__06920.1453249045.1280.1280.jpg

Glad you're on the road to recovery.

Ribs are a beach, hard to breathe, laugh, cry, curse...

;)

Time will help, best wishes.

Yes, these were our next purchase if I kept riding.

Many reasons.

Saw another one at START, and hope they become the norm, for many reasons.

... I just need a lighter bike. Right?

And maybe one of these: Turtle_HVweb_degonfle_1__06920.1453249045.1280.1280.jpg

Have one, hope to never find out if it works.

Mark,

Funny as usual, despite the pain. My wish for you is that your memory fades enough to get back on a bike again, but not so much as to forget your name.

Mend well!

what is that product, I ASSUME a tethered air bag of some sort?

You are correct. Google "air bag vest", there are a bunch of them out there.

Mark:

Thanks for filling in the missing info. And for the entertaining bits, as well. Hope your recovery continues along without problems.

Mike Cassidy

Brian Louw

Wow, Mark. I was a couple of bikes behind you and saw the damage to Carl's bike. Didn't look like there was enough damage to total it, but I guess there must have been frame damage.

Nothing worse than coming around a corner and seeing a rider lying in the ditch and the bike on it side !

Hope you heal soon and glad it wasn't worse.

barryNmarin

Dang Mark, I can't believe it's been over a month since your accident and I haven't heard a peep until now. You must have sworn everyone to silence so good for them.

Considering what you went through; your injuries, pain and long recovery; I'm really glad you are on the mend now and your storied sense of humor is still intact. Here's wishing you a full recovery and that means you'll have to stop kicking yourself and move on. Love ya brother!

Mark - At least you didn't start the ride by saying "Watch THIS . . ."

Glad you're on the mend and thinking about mounting up again. Great that you can find some humor in the midst of all that - there's a lesson in that for all of us.

Dave_zoom_zoom
Mark - At least you didn't start the ride by saying "Watch THIS . . ."

OR---- "Here, hold my beer and Watch THIS . . ." :D

Dave

Bill_Walker
Oh dang :-(

So, here we are: the few, the very much not proud, the ones who have crashed other people's bikes. But somehow, Mark, you didn't get the memo that we only crash _Whip's_ bikes!

roadscholar

So, here we are: the few, the very much not proud, the ones who have crashed other people's bikes. But somehow, Mark, you didn't get the memo that we only crash _Whip's_ bikes!

I'm not throwing anyone under the bus but there is yet another heretofore unmentioned member of this exclusive club, and will just leave it at that.. :grin:

Bill_Walker

I'm not throwing anyone under the bus but there is yet another heretofore unmentioned member of this exclusive club, and will just leave it at that.. :grin:

Well, I already included myself in the club. Do you have another member to nominate?

In my defense, I will point out that my membership initiation was not conducted on pavement, and that the motorcycle in question was ridden home from NC to TX. That might only grant me a restricted membership, without all the rights and privileges pertaining to full membership. :)

Edited by Bill_Walker
roadscholar

In my defense, I will point out that my membership initiation was not conducted on pavement, and that the motorcycle in question was ridden home from NC to TX. That might only grant me a restricted membership, without all the rights and privileges pertaining to full membership. :)

I would say similar in all respects except the injury wasn't quite as serious..

• 3 weeks later...

So sorry to be reading this thread, Mark... I'm very sporadic in my forum browsing these days.

Hope the healing is going well.