IGNORED

What to expect

Knobby10

For me, a newbie, and possibly others, can someone give me an idea of how a typical day will be during the rally? I can't imagine how 80+ riders can be "managed." Do we ride in small groups, by ourselves, leave at varying times, eat/drink on our own? A general overview would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Knobby

Dear NOOB Knobby,

(Has kind of a nice ring to it)

We have one meal together. The rest is all on your own. People sit around at night and tell lies, talk about where they may want to go the next day. Leave the parking lot at various times and get back the same way.

Everyone is friendly and if you ask, most will invite you to ride along if you wish. It's good to know your riding level and something about those who you may ride with.

All levels of riding pace will be in the mix. Some want to make miles, some want to smell the flowers, some want to ride to eat.

I will be there on my new to me hack and won't be burning up the road speed wise. But if you want to tag along, you are more than welcome.

Look for a black GS rig with a black Hannigan car attached.

Others will chime in as well.

Ride Well

szurszewski

Look for a black GS rig with a black Hannigan car attached.

Ride Well

you say this like he's going to have to wade through a sea of hacks to find yours -

Knobby:

If you want to find Bud, look for the sidecar rig. I'm willing to bet a dollar it will be the only one there ;)

josh

greiffster

Knobby,

+1 to what Bud said. Very informal, very relaxed. Lots of fun. Come ride with me. Wait...you might be a Boilermaker. :rofl:

Knobby,

Yeah, Bud nailed it in general.

As for any specifics ... the host team will staff a registration table at various hours Mon & Tues in the lobby, where UN-folk can "check-in" and receive their swag bag (T-shirts, ID tag, area information, etc.). Monday evening there will be a very informal kick-off meet-&-greet soiree around the pool (largely BYOB though a few standard items will be available). Wednesday night will be the group meal, with a cash bar preceding dinner.

Tuesday thru Thursday day light hours are ad hoc riding days and/or visiting (though some will arrive sooner and leave later). A variety of detailed routes are provided for those unfamiliar with the many great roads in the area.

The swag bag contents, Wed group meal, and a few items for Monday's soiree are covered by the registration fees. The rest is up to individuals. That's pretty much it, but it'll be a fantastic time as usual.

Our room block has officially expired, though Fontana Resort will honor group rates until 11 June, when registration ends. Lodge rooms are becoming scarce, though there are more cabins available.

If you want to attend, and I hope you do, I'd sign up ASAP.

Edited by TyTass
realshelby

TyTass, might want to post where the Registration Table will be? That will point new folks in the right direction to get started. The rest will waddle around till we find it....

This is the UN rally and named that for a reason. If you have been to a MOA type Rally, this isn't one of those. Fine for their purpose, the UN is for meeting, greeting, and getting to know the Gals and Guys that hang out here. And I do mean Gals as they fit right in! No vendor Booths, although effbee and I have been known to mention our BMW products when prodded heavily. Informal. But in a way that should make new attendees seem welcome. They are more welcome to join a conversation here than most any other gathering. Again, that is what it is about. There will be groups riding and feel free to ask to tag along. There is so much good riding around this location that you can take off in any direction and enjoy. The Dinner is the only formal get together. But there will be plenty of groups hanging around in the evenings. There is no lying allowed, strictly enforced......

Things Not To Expect:

Egos

Cliques

Expectations

Anyone really caring what you do for a living

Things To Expect:

Dubious glances if your bike is too clean

Questions as to where you got that cool farkle

People trying to keep you up late with legendary tales

Cautionary Note:

You might make a new friend or two for life. It happens.

Cautionary Note:

You might make a new friend or two for life. It happens ... and quite often!

Fixed it for you, Jake!

Edited by TyTass
TyTass, might want to post where the Registration Table will be? That will point new folks in the right direction to get started. The rest will waddle around till we find it....

As for any specifics ... the host team will staff a registration table at various hours Mon & Tues in the main lobby, where ...

Does that help? :dontknow:

Joe Frickin' Friday
This is the UN rally and named that for a reason. If you have been to a MOA type Rally, this isn't one of those. Fine for their purpose, the UN is for meeting, greeting, and getting to know the Gals and Guys that hang out here. And I do mean Gals as they fit right in! No vendor Booths...

...no corporate sponsors, no beer garden, no music venue, no raffles/door prizes, no vintage bike displays, none of that. One big group meal to unite the masses, but other than that, the comingling is spontaneous. Expect to see people hanging out in the parking lot in the mornings, figuring out who to ride with and where to go - and in the afternoons/evenings, talking about that day's amazing ride, making dinner arrangements, or smoking big stinky ceegars and drinking preservatives.

steve.foote
the initiation isn't too Baaaaaaaaaaa-aad. If you know what I mean.

Speaking of which, who is supposed to bring the sheep?

I'm pretty sure it's Jake's turn.

+1

steve.foote

I think you're right, Chris.

Sorry to interrupt the banter with more expectation adjustments, but ...

Not all that many people have taken advantage of the additional T-Shirt purchasing option we set up in this thread. Previous experience shows that often many attendees want to buy extra T-shirts and/or want to buy a long sleeve (LS) version. There have been previous UNs where coordinators purchased extra shirts of common sizes and brought them to the UN to sell.

So, while we're discussing expectations I thought I should post a reminder here that additional T-shirts may only be purchased in advance. IOW there will be no additional T-Shirts on sale at the UN. The reason for this is to simplify the processes at the UN for the host team and to reduce financial burdens.

The following thread describes the various t-shirt options available for advance purchase and how to order them:

UnRally XVI 2017 - Additional T-Shirts Purchase Info.

Any T-shirts you order will be included in your swag bag that you pick-up at the Registration Table.

realshelby
Things Not To Expect:

Egos

Cliques

Expectations

Things To Expect:

Cautionary Note:

I find it rather refreshing, your quote really gets the spirit. None of the Airhead or it ain't a Beemer stuff, none of the snobbiness I see in some BMW groups. You probably rode your Beemer or other brand there. Which is what it is all about. Make friends here and show up on an Italian Mistress next time and no one cares you switched.

Things Not To Expect:

Egos

Cliques

Expectations

Things To Expect:

Cautionary Note:

I find it rather refreshing, your quote really gets the spirit. None of the Airhead or it ain't a Beemer stuff, none of the snobbiness I see in some BMW groups. You probably rode your Beemer or other brand there. Which is what it is all about. Make friends here and show up on an Italian Mistress next time and no one cares you switched.

I heard a rumor that T.M.Roe switched over. Any truth to that?

Hey Tom.... :dopeslap:

szurszewski

I think this is an important point for anyone new to an Un or new to this forum. Yes, this place was started to help people maintain the early oilhead RTs, but other than it being a point of interest, no one cares what you ride!

(Hell, they're even nice to people that show up in cars...though maybe that's so they can get chauffeured to and from dinner and such...)

All will be revealed.

i-685jSxZ-S.jpg

All will be revealed.

i-685jSxZ-S.jpg

And, considering his riding skill, I would expect that's the view that most people will have of him while on the road! :rofl:

I dunno ... that seems waaaaaaaay too close for most of us. :burnout:

Ah, come on,just trust me....what's the worst that could happen?

Things Not To Expect:

Egos

Cliques

Expectations

Things To Expect:

Cautionary Note:

Not only will we be showing up on our killer Duc the rest of Von Trapp's will be screaming in on a Suzuki GSXS and a KTM Super Duke just to add to the Un soup!

Hardcore and naked (and not their first rodeo)!

PS Lester, we have much to discuss and I cant wait!

We are on the road 3 weeks from today!

Guess I will have to find a Ural owner to show up so I won't be the slowest rig there. :wave:

Edited by Bud

Sounds great, plan to arrive late Monday afternoon. Room reserved.

Thanks for the info

Yes, I am a boilermaker!

Love the banter

Thanks for the info

Yes, I am a boilermaker!

Love the banter

Most Excellent! We need to hear new lies! Some of them are getting a bit ... um ... tired. :rofl:

PM Sent.

Knobby10,

Please check the Private Message I sent you. It's under "My Stuff." You should have a little blinking mail envelop there.

Thanks for the info

Yes, I am a boilermaker!

Love the banter

Great Knobby10! The Hoosiers (err . . generically speaking :clap: ) are going to have a good presence! Looking forward to meeting another Flatlander! I'll be arriving a day earlier than you- possibly even trailering (Oh the shame! :rofl:). I'll try to brief you on the finer points of the LEGENDARY 'Clean Living Hoosiers'®

You'll love the riding.

You'll love the group of folks.

You'll be back!

steve.foote

Now back to the "baa-a-a anter!"

That's very clever of ewe

Are you kii-i-i-ding?

Matts_12GS

Are you kii-i-i-ding?

you're pulling the wool over....

Knobby : "Herding cats" comes to mind. I have been to only two UnRally events (first one cut short by a friend's death), so last year at Red Lodge was my first full experience. Do whatever you want. Assuming you arrive Monday, there should be lots of opportunities to talk with people and figure out what you want to do on Tuesday and following. The lodge has a swimming pool, so bring your swimsuit.

I am leaving Monday morning from Cincinnati. If I have time, I'll sample the Cherahola on the way in. This will be my second UN. My first was at Blowing Rock and there, I didn't know a soul, but tagged along on some small group rides and had a good time. I still won't know a soul and hope to repeat Blowing Rock. I have a room reserved at the Chuckwagon for Fall Torrey; these will likely be my only LD rides this year. And Fontana isn't that far.

Hope my old bod is up to it.

Larry

Apparently I didn't make much of an impression :rofl:, but I recall you, Larry. We didn't ride together, but I helped Ken out checking folks in, so I met everyone at some point.

Happy you're coming back. :thumbsup:

We've got a little soiree planned for Monday night, a sort of Kick-off party, you'll get to meet far more people right at the start of the event.

Edited by TyTass

Larry -

Depending on what time you leave Cinci, and how fast you ride, you may see me fall in behind you. I'm leaving Monday from Columbus. So there will be at least a couple Buckeyes at the event.

Jim

steve.foote

Are you kii-i-i-ding?

you're pulling the wool over....

That's like getting...fleeced.

I am leaving Monday morning from Cincinnati. If I have time, I'll sample the Cherahola on the way in. This will be my second UN. My first was at Blowing Rock and there, I didn't know a soul, but tagged along on some small group rides and had a good time. I still won't know a soul and hope to repeat Blowing Rock. I have a room reserved at the Chuckwagon for Fall Torrey; these will likely be my only LD rides this year. And Fontana isn't that far.

Hope my old bod is up to it.

Larry

Well I was at Blowing Rock and apologize for not making more of effort to get to know you. I won't know who you are because you ride one of those common RT's. :grin: But I'm pretty sure I will be the only one riding a R 1150 GSA with a Hannigan side car, Black/Yellow. So if you see me, come on up and introduce yourself! I don't care if you are a Hoosier or not. :wave:

I'll keep an eye out for you. I've got a black 2016 RT and unless I pick up someone or get picked up I'll be by myself.

Edited by fastlarry

Everyone made a good impression on me; I just don't remember names. My biggest impression was these guys ride the wheels off these bikes and we shared a love for curvy roads. I'm not a Hoosier, but a Buckeye which to folks in the Midwest might be worse. I was also impressed with the level and quality of farkles on the bikes, there.

Sorry to insult a Buckeye1 :dopeslap:

I also have trouble with names so I understand. Looking forward to meeting you and riding together. :wave:

I'll keep an eye out for you. I've got a black 2016 RT and unless I pick up someone or get picked up I'll be by myself.

Ooh Larry, you have the fastest color!

You should hang out with Jake and I, we plan on spending the week fighting over who gets to be Bud's monkey and trying to look very Italian doing it!