IGNORED

Kansas/Nebraska

Doug_Baliko

I'm planning a route that takes me from Dallas up through Kansas and Nebraska towards Mount Rushmore. I would like to get a good feel of small town middle America, and ride though some picturesque farmland. Can somebody give me some route ideas? It doesn't have to be twisties as much as just pretty country. There will be plenty of twisties once I hit Beartooth and Chief Joseph highways. Thanks.

Doug

greiffster
I'm planning a route that takes me from Dallas up through Kansas and Nebraska towards Mount Rushmore. I would like to get a good feel of small town middle America, and ride though some picturesque farmland. Can somebody give me some route ideas? It doesn't have to be twisties as much as just pretty country. There will be plenty of twisties once I hit Beartooth and Chief Joseph highways. Thanks.

Doug

Stop by Cawker City, KS and visit the worlds largest ball of twine. It's awesome. Then turn north toward Lebanon. You wanted "middle"? Just NW of there is the geographical center of the United States, or so they say.

Yeah, my thing anyways. :lick::grin: I've tried to live by the "no chain or fast food joints" on my motorcycle trips the last few years. Been fun, I need to do more of it! :thumbsup:

Pat

roadscholar

A buddy said he rode thru Medicine Lodge once and thought it was a cool little town with a lot of history. Plus it's just east of the Gypsum Hills which looks like some interesting topography, as Kansas goes anyway.

http://www.legendsofkansas.com/medicinelodge.html

Sometimes the fun is just getting on the small roads and discovering America for yourself, it's nearly always more interesting than the alternative. Takes a little longer but worth it.

roadscholar

I think my buddy was going east-west but probably not much difference. They don't call it the Great Plain for nothin. :grin:

Edited by roadscholar
. I would like to get a good feel of small town middle America, and ride though some picturesque farmland.

I've been doing this for years.Now days while most of my trips west now days are pulling a dual sport, I still stay on the back roads once I cross the big river.It becomes a much more relaxed trip.

Best tip I can give you is to forget the fast food joints and look for the small restaurants that have the most cars in the lot.Don't outside appearance fool you.

Thats where you can find the real America.

Edited by big-t