BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#988448 - 06/02/17 01:46 AM R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired?
Bill_Walker Offline

Loc: San Marcos, CA USA
I just got a new-to-me '15 R1200RT, and I've been through a gazillion threads here, and to my surprise, haven't found this issue addressed.

I want to get audio from the bike audio system, the Nav VI GPS, AND my Valentine1 radar detector into my helmet. On my R1150RT, I did this using an Autocom system with wired connections from my Garmin Zumo 660, the V1, and an iPod. I find I can plug the iPod into the R1200RT's audio system (with the cable I had left over from my 2008 Mini Cooper!), so that input's solved.

Bluetooth connections from the Nav VI and bike seem clear. I've read lots about that (and about pairing problems, mostly eventually sorted). To get the radar input, I'm guessing I need either a Sena SR10 or SM10 interface, or something similar, but I don't know which. Has anybody here done this?

For wired connections, it's less clear to me. I saw one thread where someone connected a transformer to the speaker outputs to provide an audio input. That looked like a pain to install, but once installed, avoided all the pairing and charging and sound quality hassles of Bluetooth. This would be one-way only, so I wouldn't have any phone functionality. Do I care? I don't want to make or receive calls while I'm riding, but I can see where maybe asking Siri stuff could be useful.

So, wired or wireless, and how?
'04 R1150RT (gone)
'02 Suzuki V-Strom (gone)

#988465 - 06/02/17 12:02 PM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: Bill_Walker]
hopz Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
Hi Bill... good luck on those issues. I do not have much for you in the way to answers--- just wanted to say Hi.

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”

#988467 - 06/02/17 12:49 PM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: Bill_Walker]
narcosis Offline

Loc: Niceville, Florida
Plug your radar detector audio out into the Aux input in the right hand glove box. I can't remember if that overrides music when the detector goes off or not. If I get a chance today I'll try to recreate the connection.

What I am doing now is plugging the radar detector audio out into the Aux input of my Sena 20S. When the detector goes off, it overrides everything and you know you've been painted.

2014 BMW R1200RT
2005 Suzuki C50 (Sold)

#988485 - 06/02/17 03:12 PM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: Bill_Walker]
roadriderg Offline
Newer Member

Loc: Huntington beach Ca
I use an autocom super pro automatic avi to do this connection. as follows:

1. Bike audio using autocom 2275 custom matched by rocketmoto.com
for the 2014 on up bmw audio. This is switched for bike speaker or autocom . They now recommend the motecello speaker bridge now as less expensive alternative.
2. navigator iv to autocom via autocom bluetooth doggle at autocom box. This gives me navigation and phone calls.
3. I use a j&m cb that runs to the autocom via custom isolator.
4. I use a adaptive tech radar that i run to the j&M cb audio input.via ground loop isolator. Although you could run it directly to the autocom with a isolator.
Autocom unit is under the passenger seat this a triggered by a anti-kickback relay(diode protection) on the left side of the bike.

All works seamlessly with passenger com also. Wired to my helmets with autocom headsets although I replaced the speakers with j&m 55mm speakers.

I had all the autocom gear from previous bikes so the inital outlay for the bmw was not as hard. I only needed the 2275 adaptor.

Gary

Edited by roadriderg (06/02/17 03:13 PM)

#988494 - 06/02/17 04:26 PM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: narcosis]
narcosis Offline

Loc: Niceville, Florida
Bill, I rechecked the Aux connection and the only way radar detector audio comes through is when you select Aux from the audio panel (no music, only an annoying hummmmmm until the detector goes off). That's undoubtedly why I stuck with the direct connect to the helmet aux input.

2014 BMW R1200RT
2005 Suzuki C50 (Sold)

#988502 - 06/02/17 06:13 PM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: Bill_Walker]
strataj Offline

Loc: Wills Point, TX
I taped into the speaker wires (seems you found that info) and plug my headset into it, I listen to the bikes radio (I like XM) and the Nav V comes thru into the headset. As for the V1 I went with the HARD system http://www.legalspeeding.com/products.htm (scroll down)

Jay

#988504 - 06/02/17 06:19 PM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: narcosis]
Ralphie Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I have reluctantly transitioned from Autocom to a Bluetooth system and the transition has been better and easier than expected. This may sound complicated but it really is not, especially for those who have wired up their bikes to power a radar detector and have wired up an Autocom unit.

1) Purchase and install a Motochello Speaker Bridge as shown here: https://www.motochello.com/wp-content/uploads/Speaker-Bridge-Installation-16w.pdf. This is similar to an Autocom 2275 (or similar 2273) used by folks like us for many years to tap into a bikes Audio system.

2) Purchase a Sena SM10 Dual Stream Bluetooth transmitter. If you don't want to worry about recharging the SM10 purchase the unit from Rocketmoto where they will also sell you a power cord you can use to power the SM10 from your bike. SM10 is found here: https://www.rocketmoto.com/sena-sm10-dual-stream-bluetooth-transmitter, SM10 power lead here: https://www.rocketmoto.com/sena-sm10-and-sr10-direct-wire-power-adapter.

3) Connect the V1 to the SM10 as you would have with the Autocom. This assumes you were connecting the V1 with a filtered/isolation lead like an Autocom 4036. Connect the V1 to the Aux input on the SM10. Connect the speaker bridge to the SM10 Audio IN.

4) Pair the SM10 to a Bluetooth headset.

This retains all wonder wheel control of the bike's audio system and provides good quality audio to a Bluetooth headset.

If you wanted to simplify or don't have or want a Bluetooth headset you could eliminate the SM10. Many of the K1600 folks have been using this speaker bridge and a 2 into 1 splitter to join the audio out from the bike and out from the radar detector on the 2 side of the 2 into 1 split to earbuds or other wired speakers.

I recently completed my fourth long distance tour with this set up paired to a PackTalk headset and it worked so much better than Autocom ever did. Much simpler with better audio quality too.

#988508 - 06/02/17 06:49 PM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: Ralphie]
Bill_Walker Offline

Originally Posted By: Ralphie
I have reluctantly transitioned from Autocom to a Bluetooth system and the transition has been better and easier than expected. This may sound complicated but it really is not, especially for those who have wired up their bikes to power a radar detector and have wired up an Autocom unit.

1) Purchase and install a Motochello Speaker Bridge as shown here: https://www.motochello.com/wp-content/uploads/Speaker-Bridge-Installation-16w.pdf. This is similar to an Autocom 2275 (or similar 2273) used by folks like us for many years to tap into a bikes Audio system.

2) Purchase a Sena SM10 Dual Stream Bluetooth transmitter. If you don't want to worry about recharging the SM10 purchase the unit from Rocketmoto where they will also sell you a power cord you can use to power the SM10 from your bike. SM10 is found here: https://www.rocketmoto.com/sena-sm10-dual-stream-bluetooth-transmitter, SM10 power lead here: https://www.rocketmoto.com/sena-sm10-and-sr10-direct-wire-power-adapter.

3) Connect the V1 to the SM10 as you would have with the Autocom. This assumes you were connecting the V1 with a filtered/isolation lead like an Autocom 4036. Connect the V1 to the Aux input on the SM10. Connect the speaker bridge to the SM10 Audio IN.

4) Pair the SM10 to a Bluetooth headset.

This retains all wonder wheel control of the bike's audio system and provides good quality audio to a Bluetooth headset.

If you wanted to simplify or don't have or want a Bluetooth headset you could eliminate the SM10. Many of the K1600 folks have been using this speaker bridge and a 2 into 1 splitter to join the audio out from the bike and out from the radar detector on the 2 side of the 2 into 1 split to earbuds or other wired speakers.

I recently completed my fourth long distance tour with this set up paired to a PackTalk headset and it worked so much better than Autocom ever did. Much simpler with better audio quality too.

This sounds like the right answer, but I've got one question on it. I'm thinking GPS audio is going through the bike's "speaker" connections (since the bike doesn't know it has a Bluetooth connection at that point, so both music and GPS would be fed into the SM10. Is that right? And of course, there's no connection to my phone in this setup, unless I pair it with the Sena. But I need it to be paired with the NAV VI for traffic and weather (one of the cool new features of the NAV VI).
'04 R1150RT (gone)

#988509 - 06/02/17 06:57 PM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: Bill_Walker]
Bernie Offline

Loc: Jax, FL
Bill, you can pair your phone to the GPS. Then when you make or receive a call, it will be going from the SENA or similar headset to the SM10, then through the wires to the GPS and to the phone, like it did with your Autocom unit
At least that is what I have been told. I am in the process of converting from Autocom to Bluetooth and hope that a SM10 and a 20S with my old Autocom wires will do the trick.
BMW-MOA, BMWOutriders
AMA, BMW-RA,

#988510 - 06/02/17 07:09 PM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: Bernie]
Bill_Walker Offline

Originally Posted By: Bernie
Bill, you can pair your phone to the GPS. Then when you make or receive a call, it will be going from the SENA or similar headset to the SM10, then through the wires to the GPS and to the phone, like it did with your Autocom unit
At least that is what I have been told. I am in the process of converting from Autocom to Bluetooth and hope that a SM10 and a 20S with my old Autocom wires will do the trick.

I think that's only true if I have the bike audio paired to the Sena via Bluetooth. In the scenario above, bike/GPS audio is being picked up from the bike's speaker wires, which are unidirectional. But it may be that all I need is the SM10 to feed in the V1. But, as mentioned, I'd like to hear from somebody who's actually done it this way.

I think the resulting pairing from that setup would be:
1) Phone paired to Nav VI
2) Bike paired to Sena
3) SM10 with V1 paired to Sena.

I've heard the audio quality of the bike's Bluetooth is pretty bad, though.

Here's the key question: if I DON'T CARE about making phone calls, is there any advantage to having bidirectional communication with my phone? Will it be useful, say, to be able to ask Siri to do things? If not, then the setup Ralphie detailed seems like the way to go.

In thinking further, it seems I need the SM10 either way if I'm going Bluetooth, and the only question is whether to add the Motochello bridge. So I can try it without it first, and then add the bridge if I don't like it.
'04 R1150RT (gone)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >