BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#988513 - 06/02/17 07:13 PM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: Bill_Walker]  
realshelby Online
realshelby  Online

Houston, Tx
Limecreek is running the V1 and SM-10.

#988518 - 06/02/17 09:29 PM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: Bill_Walker]  
JohnH VA Offline
JohnH VA  Offline

Inside The Beltway
Originally Posted By: Bill_Walker

In thinking further, it seems I need the SM10 either way if I'm going Bluetooth, and the only question is whether to add the Motochello bridge. So I can try it without it first, and then add the bridge if I don't like it.

You don't mention music streaming but FYI your phone, Nav and 20S are Bluetooth 4.1 and can stream almost 10 times the data rate of the SM10's BT 2.1 so I'd be concerned about music quality through the SM10. (iPhone 5S streamed to my 20S sounds great -- bike's streaming to the 20S is unlistenable).

Bike speaker output through a MotoChello into an SM10 transmitter may not be any better than the bike's own BT 2.1, although I've never tried one. For just Nav and RD prompts it would be fine. There are many compact BT 4.1 transmitters out there that are much cheaper if you want good music.

John
'16 R1200RT (RT #5)
#988521 - 06/02/17 10:03 PM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: JohnH VA]  
Bill_Walker Offline
Bill_Walker  Offline

San Marcos, CA USA
Originally Posted By: JohnH VA

You don't mention music streaming but FYI your phone, Nav and 20S are Bluetooth 4.1 and can stream almost 10 times the data rate of the SM10's BT 2.1 so I'd be concerned about music quality through the SM10. (iPhone 5S streamed to my 20S sounds great -- bike's streaming to the 20S is unlistenable).

Can your iPhone be paired with both the 20S and the Nav? As mentioned, I like it paired with the Nav VI for the new traffic and weather features. I'm currently using an iPod nano as my music source, but could use my phone instead if I bike-power the phone (which could be a good idea anyway due to the traffic/weather use). Current plan is to have it plugged in to the bike audio system, which works now for playing through the speakers and also provides power.

Quote:

Bike speaker output through a MotoChello into an SM10 transmitter may not be any better than the bike's own BT 2.1, although I've never tried one. For just Nav and RD prompts it would be fine. There are many compact BT 4.1 transmitters out there that are much cheaper if you want good music.

I don't have the "golden ears" of my youth any more, and in a noisy bike environment, I'm not sure I'll notice the difference. But point taken. The catch, then, is that I'd need one with inputs for both audio and radar. So far, the SM10 is the only dual-input one I've seen, but I'll admit I haven't spent much time searching for that.

"Dry-Town" Crew, San Diego
'15 R1200RT
'12 Kawasaki KLX250S
'04 R1150RT (gone)
'02 Suzuki V-Strom (gone)
#988527 - 06/02/17 11:16 PM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: Bill_Walker]  
JohnH VA Offline
JohnH VA  Offline

Inside The Beltway
Can your iPhone be paired with both the 20S and the Nav?

Yes, my Nav V and iPhone 5S are both paired to my 20S (or sometimes a 10C).

John
'16 R1200RT (RT #5)
#988615 - 06/04/17 05:18 AM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: Bill_Walker]  
Bill_Walker Offline
Bill_Walker  Offline

San Marcos, CA USA
Well, my 20S and SM10 arrived today, and I've been having some fun trying to get things working. It seems like pairing the BMW audio system and the SM10 are mutually exclusive in some fashion. I can pair them both, but if I've got music playing on the BMW system (the sound quality of which, coming from my iPod, I'm perfectly happy with, at least in the garage) and I turn on the SM10, I no longer hear the BMW audio. I've tried various combinations of pairing as phone 1 and phone 2. And I can't pair both of them AND the Nav VI. It's looking like the Motochello bridge on the speaker outputs will be the solution, so the 20S will be paired only with the Nav VI and the SM10.

'15 R1200RT
'12 Kawasaki KLX250S
'04 R1150RT (gone)
#988706 - 06/05/17 05:53 PM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: Bill_Walker]  
roadriderg Offline
Newer Member
roadriderg  Offline
Newer Member

Huntington beach Ca
I tried to link bike audio via autocom bluetooth dongle to the autocom. The audio was not very good. I am not sure what the autocom bluetooth version is on the dongle.

Direct wire via the autocom 2275 is much better.

Gary
#988801 - 06/06/17 08:48 PM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: Bill_Walker]  
Ralphie Offline
Ralphie  Offline

Upstate NY
This is a bit of a loaded issue as you have so many Bluetooth pairing options that there are several if/then scenarios so I'll try to answer without opening too many cans of worms.

Assuming you do not pair your Nav to your headset, you do need to have the bike's audio turned on in order for the GPS guidance to be heard. I rarely listen to music when riding so needing the audio system to be on to hear the GPS was not ideal for me. I found if I use the AUX or USB connection with the audio system on and nothing connected to the AUX or USB setting I can hear the GPS without needing to have the radio on.

As others said and you probably already discovered you can pair the phone to both the GPS and headset.

Two of the reasons I use a wired connection from the bike's audio system to the SM10 are:

1) The audio quality is good.
2) It eliminates one of several Bluetooth pairings and give me greater flexibility to pair other items which would be more difficult to tie into my overall audio set up.

Hope that helps.

#988802 - 06/06/17 08:55 PM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: roadriderg]  
Ralphie Offline
Ralphie  Offline

Upstate NY
Originally Posted By: roadriderg
I tried to link bike audio via autocom bluetooth dongle to the autocom. The audio was not very good. I am not sure what the autocom bluetooth version is on the dongle.

Direct wire via the autocom 2275 is much better.

The 2275 is a fine choice if you can get one. They do degrade audio quality a bit. The Motochello Speaker bridge does the same thing without as much audio quality loss and is probably a bit easier to tie into the SM10. Neither is difficult to use, the Motochello is just a bit newer design and enjoys some benefits coming to market after learning how to improve on the 2275.

#988811 - 06/06/17 10:14 PM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: Ralphie]  
Bill_Walker Offline
Bill_Walker  Offline

San Marcos, CA USA
Originally Posted By: Ralphie
Assuming you do not pair your Nav to your headset, you do need to have the bike's audio turned on in order for the GPS guidance to be heard. I rarely listen to music when riding so needing the audio system to be on to hear the GPS was not ideal for me. I found if I use the AUX or USB connection with the audio system on and nothing connected to the AUX or USB setting I can hear the GPS without needing to have the radio on.

Hmm, yes, that's a configuration I haven't tried, which would leave a pairing free for the V1 via the SM10. It would mean that I'd have no phone connectivity. I still haven't decided whether I want any. It's not clear there's any access to Siri with the phone paired through the Nav VI, and that's all I'd want it for (and, as mentioned, I want the phone paired with the Nav VI so it can retrieve traffic and weather info). Although, I suppose seeing who called or texted might tell me whether to pull over and get in touch.

In any event, I've ordered the Motochello audio bridge.

On another note, in a quick test of a new iPod cable today (the old one from my Mini Cooper was glitchy), I discovered that the bike doesn't play audio through the speakers if it's been paired with a headset and the headset isn't on. Although perhaps I just didn't wait long enough for the connection attempt to time out.

'15 R1200RT
'12 Kawasaki KLX250S
'04 R1150RT (gone)
#989245 - 06/12/17 08:28 PM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: Bill_Walker]  
Ralphie Offline
Ralphie  Offline

Upstate NY
Originally Posted By: Bernie
Bill, you can pair your phone to the GPS. Then when you make or receive a call, it will be going from the SENA or similar headset to the SM10, then through the wires to the GPS and to the phone, like it did with your Autocom unit
At least that is what I have been told. I am in the process of converting from Autocom to Bluetooth and hope that a SM10 and a 20S with my old Autocom wires will do the trick.

I think that's only true if I have the bike audio paired to the Sena via Bluetooth. In the scenario above, bike/GPS audio is being picked up from the bike's speaker wires, which are unidirectional. But it may be that all I need is the SM10 to feed in the V1. But, as mentioned, I'd like to hear from somebody who's actually done it this way.

I think the resulting pairing from that setup would be:
1) Phone paired to Nav VI
2) Bike paired to Sena
3) SM10 with V1 paired to Sena.

I've heard the audio quality of the bike's Bluetooth is pretty bad, though.

Here's the key question: if I DON'T CARE about making phone calls, is there any advantage to having bidirectional communication with my phone? Will it be useful, say, to be able to ask Siri to do things? If not, then the setup Ralphie detailed seems like the way to go.

In thinking further, it seems I need the SM10 either way if I'm going Bluetooth, and the only question is whether to add the Motochello bridge. So I can try it without it first, and then add the bridge if I don't like it.

Your path forward seems perfectly logical. The only thing you give up pairing the bike to via Bluetooth vs. the Motochello speaker bridge is volume control via the "wonder wheel" near the handlebar. If you connect the bike audio to the SM10 via the Motochello bridge you will be able to raise and lower volume with the wonder wheel and/or 20S. Bluetooth directly to Sena leaves volume control to Sena only. Not a big deal, just a point of information.

I think you have this well sorted. Drop me a PM if I can help any further as I don't always get notification when new post are made here.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6