BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#989413 - 06/14/17 06:24 PM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: Bill_Walker]
JohnH VA Offline

Loc: Inside The Beltway
MotoChello is a passive switch/bridge. You're right that putting it under the saddle is inconvenient for access to its slider switch but I decided that it's too bulky to keep up front and devised a separate DPST speaker switch while maintaining the MC's bridge function. I chose not make the harness wire cuts that allow the MC's switch to cut off the speakers. By not cutting the harness the bike's speakers remain active when switching the MC's 3.5 audio output.

Instead, I set the MC's switch to the 3.5 output and separately wired a 2-pole DPST round mini switch into the speakers' power leads up front. Those wires are very easy to get to by removing the speaker grill bezels. That way I'm using the MC only as a bridge for balanced 3.5 output of the bike's audio into a tiny Bluetooth 4.1 transmitter placed under the rear saddle next to the MC. The transmitter uses USB for power so I tapped a DC step-down USB connector into the bike's rear accessory connector, also under the rear saddle.

For now I have the waterproof DPST round mini rocker switch loose in the left glove box but eventually get around to drilling a .8" hole on the left audio panel to mount it next to the bike's round audio buttons. There's no ignition noise.

It sounds like a complicated rig but now the iPhone/Sena20S/NavV/Sirius/Wonderwheel all work well together Bluetoothed into two helmets (also intercom), bypassing the bike's sketchy Bluetooth, and I can easily switch the bike's speakers off while listening to helmet speakers (or vice versa).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W52N8XW/
https://vetco.net/products/dpst-waterproof-round-rocker-switch-on-off-16a-green-12v
'16 R1200RT (RT #5)

#989466 - 06/15/17 02:13 AM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: Ralphie]
Bill_Walker Offline

Loc: San Marcos, CA USA
Great advice there, Ralphie! Thanks!
'04 R1150RT (gone)
'02 Suzuki V-Strom (gone)

#989467 - 06/15/17 02:15 AM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: JohnH VA]
Bill_Walker Offline

Thanks, John. That's more to think about!
'04 R1150RT (gone)

#989468 - 06/15/17 02:24 AM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: Bill_Walker]
Bill_Walker Offline

So, after taking off the tupperware today (and I thought it was a pain taking it off my 1150! Hah!), I'm rethinking putting electronics in the left glovebox. I think I can fit it all in there, but you need to remove the box to get the tupperware off, and figuring out how to route the wiring in there in a way that's easy to disconnect looks like a real pain.

In truth, I'll probably never turn on the bike's speakers, unless my BT receiver dies and I really, really need GPS directions. Seems unlikely. So mounting the speaker bridge under the seat seems OK. I'm more concerned about the SM10, because I've read some comments on it that it sometimes needs a push of the button to get it to pair. That'd be a pain if it's under the back seat! Also, that makes a long run of the audio cable from the V1 remote audio adapter (which also needs a home. I'm now thinking of either velcro on top of the clutch master cylinder, or putting it in my tank bag. But I was kinda trying to avoid being tank bag dependent). Of course, if I don't mount the SM10 there, I'll have a long audio run to it from the Motochello. Routing the wiring on this thing looks like it's going to be loads of fun. That bike is _dense_!

Edited by Bill_Walker (06/15/17 02:26 AM)
'04 R1150RT (gone)

#989478 - 06/15/17 12:03 PM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: Bill_Walker]
nh_handyman Offline
Newer Member

I've been wondering the same thing - I suspect I'll do this mod in the fall - anyway - I was thinking, like you, that under the seat was a PITA - but it really isn't - its MUCH easier than being under the tupperware.

#989580 - 06/16/17 01:50 PM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: nh_handyman]
Ralphie Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Take a peek here how to take off the tupperware off the current RT: http://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Accessories.cfm?pn=30%2D200BL&pID=98. There is a video here that shows us how to do it. Though compact and densely packed, this RT is not too bad to remove the body work when we have a little help showing the way.

I just removed the bodywork and followed the existing bike wiring from the back of the bike to the handlebars for the power and audio for the radar detector.

#989610 - 06/16/17 05:22 PM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: Ralphie]
Bill_Walker Offline

Originally Posted By: Ralphie
I just removed the bodywork and followed the existing bike wiring from the back of the bike to the handlebars for the power and audio for the radar detector.

That's my plan as well. Did you take the tank off to get at the part of it that runs under the tank, or did you just fish it through there? I worry a little about running stuff through there that's not tied down. I'll be running power and ground and control for my Clearwater Darlas, a phone cord for power to the V1, power and ground for my tank bag, and audio from the V1 audio adapter. I'm not a fan of using chassis grounds when audio is involved. Anyway, that seems like quite a few wires to run through that area without securing them.
'04 R1150RT (gone)

#990790 - 06/28/17 08:20 PM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: Bill_Walker]
Ralphie Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Originally Posted By: Bill_Walker
[quote=Ralphie] Did you take the tank off to get at the part of it that runs under the tank, or did you just fish it through there? I worry a little about running stuff through there that's not tied down. I'll be running power and ground and control for my Clearwater Darlas, a phone cord for power to the V1, power and ground for my tank bag, and audio from the V1 audio adapter. I'm not a fan of using chassis grounds when audio is involved.

It has been a while since I completed this but did have a cord for my Adaptiv TPX radar and my Zumo 590 running from the back of the bike to the handlebars and those are big cables which will about equal the combined number of cords you are running.

I did not remove the tank and really don't like leaving wires just hanging around so I know I had them zip tied to an existing wire harness running from the front to back of the bike. I just don't remember exactly how it was done but it was not very difficult.

#990811 - 06/29/17 12:54 AM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: Ralphie]
Bill_Walker Offline

Originally Posted By: Ralphie
Originally Posted By: Bill_Walker
[quote=Ralphie] Did you take the tank off to get at the part of it that runs under the tank, or did you just fish it through there? I worry a little about running stuff through there that's not tied down. I'll be running power and ground and control for my Clearwater Darlas, a phone cord for power to the V1, power and ground for my tank bag, and audio from the V1 audio adapter. I'm not a fan of using chassis grounds when audio is involved.

It has been a while since I completed this but did have a cord for my Adaptiv TPX radar and my Zumo 590 running from the back of the bike to the handlebars and those are big cables which will about equal the combined number of cords you are running.

I did not remove the tank and really don't like leaving wires just hanging around so I know I had them zip tied to an existing wire harness running from the front to back of the bike. I just don't remember exactly how it was done but it was not very difficult.

I found a path that didn't follow the factory harness under the tank that I could run with only minimal fishing and that leaves the whole run visible. Basically over the top of the cylinder, around the bottom of the radiator catch tank, and then up. I enclosed everything but the clearwater data cable (because it wouldn't fit) in split loom for protection.
'04 R1150RT (gone)

#994128 - 08/08/17 05:12 AM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: Ralphie]
dave_albany Offline

Loc: albany, ny
So how is all your bridge ans S10 , Valentine working out?
08' K12GT
05' R12RT-retired
01 V Star-sold

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >