BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#994175 - 08/09/17 02:00 AM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: dave_albany]  
Bill_Walker Offline
Bill_Walker  Offline

San Marcos, CA USA
Originally Posted By: dave_albany
So how is all your bridge ans S10 , Valentine working out?

It's all working, but the hardest part was figuring out that I had a defective SM10! It wouldn't power up all the time. I had thought the Rocket Moto direct wire power harness (which is clearly a disassembled-shortened-plug removed Sena cigarette lighter charger) had failed. The SM10 (with internal battery disconnected) would not power up from that adapter, either wired into the bike or, later, hooked up to my workbench power supply. But it would power up from the USB cable plugged in to a USB wall charger! I sent the harness back, they said the harness tested fine but sent me a new one anyway. Same behavior. The SM10 also would not power up when plugged in to the cigarette lighter charger from my 20S.

It was really weird. The SM10 cig charger puts out 12V instead of USB-standard 5V, while the 20S cig charger puts out 5V. But the SM10 would ONLY power up from the 5V wall wart, not from the 5V cig charger or the 12V cig charger!

I finally got another SM10, and it works as expected.

The only thing I don't like with this setup is that when the GPS prompts me, it completely mutes all other audio for a few seconds (it's got a separate pairing to the 20S). So if I get a radar alert while the GPS is talking, I'm in trouble. I can probably get around this by not even having the 20S paired to the GPS, so the GPS audio is played through the bike system. But that means I lose phone connectivity (which I'm not sure I have a use for, anyway).

"Dry-Town" Crew, San Diego
'15 R1200RT
'12 Kawasaki KLX250S
'04 R1150RT (gone)
'02 Suzuki V-Strom (gone)
#996367 - 09/08/17 02:27 AM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: Bill_Walker]  
Ralphie Offline
Ralphie  Offline

Upstate NY
Remind me how you have everything paired. What is hard wired to the SM10 and what is Bluetooth connected to the 20S? I've got mine set up where I can get GPS directions from the Nav V, bike audio and radar alerts.

Your suspicion is correct, you will likely have to give up something but we can probably figure it out where the things you probably use regularly like GPS prompts don't have to override intercom or radar alerts. I had the same problem initially where the GPS muted everything and now have it sorted.

Remind me of the connections and we'll see if I can give some options which may work better.

#997292 - 09/19/17 03:07 PM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: Ralphie]  
Bill_Walker Offline
Bill_Walker  Offline

San Marcos, CA USA
Originally Posted By: Ralphie
Remind me how you have everything paired. What is hard wired to the SM10 and what is Bluetooth connected to the 20S? I've got mine set up where I can get GPS directions from the Nav V, bike audio and radar alerts.

Your suspicion is correct, you will likely have to give up something but we can probably figure it out where the things you probably use regularly like GPS prompts don't have to override intercom or radar alerts. I had the same problem initially where the GPS muted everything and now have it sorted.

Remind me of the connections and we'll see if I can give some options which may work better.

Currently have the bike audio system (via a Motochello bridge) and my V1 connected to the Sena SM10, which is paired to my Sena 20S headset.

My Nav VI is also paired to the Sena 20S headset.

My iPhone is paired to the Nav VI.

Right now, GPS prompts silence music and V1 for a few seconds. I think I could unpair the 20S from the Nav VI, which would result in GPS prompts being "shared" through the bike audio system, and it would fix this problem. I would give up the ability to make and receive phone calls, which I'm not all that excited about anyway. I thought I might have access to Siri, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I've taken one call while on the bike, and it was one I needed to take, so that was useful, but in general, I can wait and return calls when I stop (and I don't get that many).

'15 R1200RT
'12 Kawasaki KLX250S
'04 R1150RT (gone)
#997649 - 09/24/17 07:16 PM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: Bill_Walker]  
markgoodrich Offline
markgoodrich  Offline

Austin, TX
Hi, kids! Here's how I had everything working (and also charged) on my KGT:

RD under the fairing, powered through a fused power block

SM10 attached to the right speaker grill.

An adapter for the USB plug to convert it to dual USB, routed under the fairings.

One USB went to my phone, to keep it charged.

One USB went to the SM10, to keep it charged.

RD audio out into a stereo to mono adapter to one of the SM10 3.5mm inputs

Phone audio out via 3.5mm cord to the other SM10 input

MotoChello bridge (dangit, sold the thing!) to turn the speakers off (unscrew the Alpine amp and turn it upside down, makes it much easier to install the bridge).

Sena BT paired to the SM10 (turn the phone BT off), and also paired to the bike. Wonder wheel controlled volume, I could listen to the radio (NPR) or phone music, hear the RD, hear GPS instructions, hear wife's instructions.

Now: I've rid myself of the KGT and have a slighlty used RT in its place, as of yesterday. Time to start farkling. I have a couple questions which are slightly related to this thread:

1. I kept the Nav IV. It fits the cradle and powers up. If I pair the bike with the Sena (I see a menu option for BT pairing) will the Nav IV send instructions? I've heard this only works with the Nav V or VI. And will I need to get another bridge, or will the BT pairing turn the speakers off?

2. Ah, hell, I forgot the other question. dopeslap

2016 R1200RT

#997775 - 09/26/17 01:30 AM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: markgoodrich]  
Bill_Walker Offline
Bill_Walker  Offline

San Marcos, CA USA
Originally Posted By: markgoodrich
1. I kept the Nav IV. It fits the cradle and powers up. If I pair the bike with the Sena (I see a menu option for BT pairing) will the Nav IV send instructions? I've heard this only works with the Nav V or VI. And will I need to get another bridge, or will the BT pairing turn the speakers off?

I have no idea whether the audio out from the Nav IV will go to the audio system, but you can, I would assume, pair the Nav IV directly to your headset. As mentioned in this thread, I currently have my Sena 20S paired to both the SM10 and the Nav VI.

'15 R1200RT
'12 Kawasaki KLX250S
'04 R1150RT (gone)
#997776 - 09/26/17 01:41 AM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: Bill_Walker]  
markgoodrich Offline
markgoodrich  Offline

Austin, TX
Right, Bill, but i want to be able to control everything with the wonder wheel like I did on the GT. Your suggestion is a good option, thanks.

2016 R1200RT

#997832 - 09/26/17 06:03 PM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: Bill_Walker]  
Ralphie Offline
Ralphie  Offline

Upstate NY
Originally Posted By: Bill_Walker
I think I could unpair the 20S from the Nav VI, which would result in GPS prompts being "shared" through the bike audio system, and it would fix this problem. I would give up the ability to make and receive phone calls, which I'm not all that excited about anyway.

If you have not already unpaired the Nav VI from the 20S it will solve the muting issue you are having. Let the Nav VI audio feed through the bike audio via the Motochello bridge and you are in business.

With your Valentine and bike audio feeding into the SM10 pair the SM10 to the 20S and you still have a Bluetooth connection available on the 20S. If you want to make/receive calls you can pair the phone directly to the 20S. You give up the interface of the Nav VI which is convenient. However, voice commands and/or learning the tap sequence on the 20S to receive and initiate calls works well for many. It may work for you too.

I almost never use the phone in general let alone on the bike so my other work around may not work for all. What I've done is keep my phone and Nav paired but turn off the Bluetooth connection between my Nav and Bluetooth headset by disconnecting the Bluetooth headset in the Nav. If I felt I wanted/needed to make a call and wanted to use the Nav interface I just reconnect the headset in the Nav settings, wait a few moments and am ready to make or receive calls. When that is done I turn the Bluetooth connection to the headset off in the Nav again.

Folks who pair the phone directly to their Bluetooth headset say that is much easier to do than my work around. After doing it a few times I'm sure I'd agree.

Pairing the phone directly to the Bluetooth headset usually allows some or all of the voice activation on your phone, including Siri to work. It may require a new round of pairing making sure the voice activation settings are correct for the phone and headset but it appears several folks use Siri with the 20S when paired directly to the phone.

Keep trying. It sounds like you're almost right where you want to be.

#998019 - 09/29/17 04:17 PM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: Ralphie]  
Bill_Walker Offline
Bill_Walker  Offline

San Marcos, CA USA
Originally Posted By: Ralphie
...Pairing the phone directly to the Bluetooth headset usually allows some or all of the voice activation on your phone, including Siri to work. It may require a new round of pairing making sure the voice activation settings are correct for the phone and headset but it appears several folks use Siri with the 20S when paired directly to the phone...

I'd like to have Siri, at any rate, but then I'd lose weather and traffic on the Nav VI via Garmin SmartLink. Although so far, I'm not at all impressed with the weather info provided, and traffic seems to only be useful on a direct-to-destination route. I found on my recent Torrey trip that with traffic avoidance turned on, the Nav VI would go so far as to skip programmed waypoints on a route in order to avoid traffic!

'15 R1200RT
'12 Kawasaki KLX250S
'04 R1150RT (gone)
#998020 - 09/29/17 04:19 PM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: Bill_Walker]  
Bill_Walker Offline
Bill_Walker  Offline

San Marcos, CA USA
I also had an issue on the Torrey trip where I did intercom pairing of my 20S to his SMH10, and the 20S lost the pairing to my SM10, so I had no bike audio or V1!

'15 R1200RT
'12 Kawasaki KLX250S
'04 R1150RT (gone)
#998466 - 10/05/17 10:34 PM Re: R1200RT Audio including radar detector - bluetooth or wired? [Re: Bill_Walker]  
markgoodrich Offline
markgoodrich  Offline

Austin, TX
I spent the afternoon trying to remember how I had it all neatly set up on my GT. And of course failed. I did manage to knock my pan full of bits and pieces over, and that helped me realize how dirty the garage floor is. I'm getting close to having it all work together, mainly posting right now to tell Bill that the SM10 can be powered by the USB connector in the right hand cubby. I actually split that USB port with a Y adapter, and charged the SM10 and my phone, snaked the wires here and there . I put my SM10 right on the right speaker grill using Velcro or something.

I'd never, ever put any electronic equipment in either of those cubbys.

2016 R1200RT

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6