IGNORED

Side Case Scratch Removal Tips?

Newt

I have a 2005 silver RT. The occasional small scratches I have created with my boot on the side cases rub out fine with a little rubbing compound. I have some deeper scratches though and I am wondering if anyone has had success with a body shop buffing these out or maybe there are some other techniques worth trying. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hi Newt,

I feel your pain.

Remember there is clear coat over the color. It is very possible to rub thru the clear coat and even the color coat. Just to be safe,I would stay away from power buffers and rub by hand. If the scratches are minor, it may work. In my experience, for deep scratches a proper fix is to repaint, clear coat an rub out.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Overbyte

I've got plenty,,.....so far, the scratches haven't affected the drivetrain or operation of the bike,...when they do, I'll get them fixed ;)

Edited by Living the Dream
  • 2 weeks later...

I had some really deep scratches on one of my side cases. Earl Scheib fixed it for about $50/ bag. But I got thinking about the semi smooth black surface on our 1100RTs bags. Had one bag that flew off on a cattleguard at 30 mph, it was a mess, sanded it, then a light spray with truck bed liner and it looked pretty good. Flat black truck bed liner paint could look nice on the 1200RTs

I had some really deep scratches on one of my side cases. Earl Scheib fixed it for about $50/ bag. But I got thinking about the semi smooth black surface on our 1100RTs bags. Had one bag that flew off on a cattleguard at 30 mph, it was a mess, sanded it, then a light spray with truck bed liner and it looked pretty good. Flat black truck bed liner paint could look nice on the 1200RTs