IGNORED

New to BMW

DarkLeftArm

DarkLeftArm

Hey everybody. New guy here. This looks like a nice place to hang out and learn about the bike I have acquired. Here at home, I ride a Yamaha, but I decided I want to ride in Europe. Shipping a bike seemed too pricey to me, so, Long story even longer, I bought a bike in Ireland. I've only seen pictures of it, but my name is on the title. It is a 2002 R1150RT with super low miles that's been meticulously maintained by its original owner. Now it sits in a friend's barn awaiting my arrival next month.

There are a few things I need to do to it before lighting out. I have a set of handlebar risers and a footpeg lowering kit for it(I'm very tall) and a Garmin Zumo and mounting kit for it.

My question lies with the Garmin Zumo. What would be the slickest easiest way to power the thing? Is there a powerlet outlet on the dash I could use? Or will I need to access the battery? I've been reading some, and it sounds like the battery is a chore to get to. Is there an easier way?

Sorry my first post is so long winded.

Thanks for your time and knowledge.

Bert

Shiny Side Up

Hey DarkLeftArm,

Welcome to the best BMW Forum on the Net!!

No Powerlet Outlet on the dash unless added by the previous owner, but my 2004 has two on the left hand side just back of the rider's seat. I use these mainly for heated gear or to charge my cell phone.

I bought my Zumo with a harness and cradle and wired straight a fuse panel I installed under the seat some time ago. You could go straight to the battery. Just make sure you fuse the hot (+) side.

Not really a big deal to get to the battery.

Welcome!

A neat set up would be to mount it on a RAM ball on an RCU shelf and install an outlet right next to the ignition wired direct to the battery or to one of the available switched fuse locations under the seat. The '02s lost the outlet on the dash which was very handy.

You will become a pro at pulling off the plastic fairings, which we call Tupperware, but be careful your first time as there are tabs that can break off. I believe the process is in our FAQ around here someplace. The battery is forward of the saddle and right under the tank. Not too tough to get to - the tank only has to be lifted and not removed.

Shiny Side Up
Not too tough to get to - the tank only has to be lifted and not removed.

Hey Jake - I've never had to raise the tank. Just take off the left side fairing and air scoop then pull it (battery) out...

Good point. The lift the tank idea was to gain better access to the terminals in place. Yes, it'll slide out.

Edit: I can't find the old M/C FAQ links. But here is a link to some Tupperware removal tips. Just don't put the long screws into the tank areas!

Viola! A better Tupperware link.

Edited by Jake
DarkLeftArm
Welcome!

A neat set up would be to mount it on a RAM ball

This is the RAM ball I have:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J43I56/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I think I'll just use the Garmin fused harness that came with it now. Everybody's encouragement about battery access has made me confident I'll have no trouble. Probably ought to check the battery and connections, anyway!

Thanks for all the great responses!

Cheers

Bert

Hey everybody. New guy here. This looks like a nice place to hang out and learn about the bike I have acquired. Here at home, I ride a Yamaha, but I decided I want to ride in Europe. Shipping a bike seemed too pricey to me, so, Long story even longer, I bought a bike in Ireland. I've only seen pictures of it, but my name is on the title. It is a 2002 R1150RT with super low miles that's been meticulously maintained by its original owner. Now it sits in a friend's barn awaiting my arrival next month.

There are a few things I need to do to it before lighting out. I have a set of handlebar risers and a footpeg lowering kit for it(I'm very tall) and a Garmin Zumo and mounting kit for it.

My question lies with the Garmin Zumo. What would be the slickest easiest way to power the thing? Is there a powerlet outlet on the dash I could use? Or will I need to access the battery? I've been reading some, and it sounds like the battery is a chore to get to. Is there an easier way?

Sorry my first post is so long winded.

Thanks for your time and knowledge.

Bert

Evening Bert

Does the bike have a radio? If not then most 2002 1150RT's came with factory radio wiring running to the left front. (at least US bikes did anyhow). If you install a radio fuse in the fuse box then you should have your choice of ign switch 12v power or full time battery 12v power at the unused radio connectors.

Or, if you want to run from the battery forward that is fairly easy without lifting the tank-- Just push a stiff wire (like a coat hanger wire) along the L/H side just above the air intake snorkel then tape the GPS wire harness to that coat hanger wire & pull it back through (it takes a little wiggling & a few tries but is rather easy to do). Not easy to hook to the battery though so going to the fuse box might be easier.

Here's the idea using the RCU shelf:

p-2001-Jul-22-002.jpg

It places the GPS up higher, less angle to the sky needed with potentially reduced glare and a clear line of site to your dash. The RAM ball with the diamond base can screw right to the shelf with two holes drilled.

DarkLeftArm

Man that shelf looks slick.

For now I'll use the stuff I have, but will keep it in mind.

The radio circuit sounds like a very good idea, and if not that, then to the fuse box. I like that better than directly to the battery, anyway.

I'm going to try to figure how to post a pic of the dash, maybe somebody can tell me if I'm looking at a radio! lol

You'd better take a pic of the glove box on the left - that'd be where the radio is. Do you have an antenna?

Evening Jake

That might not be a good indicator as a lot of 2002 1150RT's came with a radio prep kit that included an antenna but no radio.

That's true, but since he has no access to the bike the only visual we are likely to have via pictures is the presence or absence of an antenna. A bit of a long shot, but if no antenna I'm betting the previous owner did the radio-din-ectome to gain more glovebox space (and speaker-ectome). Hence likely no power down there anymore. Won't know until he sees it.

That's true, but since he has no access to the bike the only visual we are likely to have via pictures is the presence or absence of an antenna. A bit of a long shot, but if no antenna I'm betting the previous owner did the radio-din-ectome to gain more glovebox space (and speaker-ectome). Hence likely no power down there anymore. Won't know until he sees it.

Evening Jake

Even if the radio was removed it should still have power to the harness radio connectors as those don't get removed. It might have had the radio fuse removed from the fuse box but that is just a simple fuse reinstall.

With a good dash picture we might be able to see the dash radio LCD assembly.

DarkLeftArm

I'm workin on it, fellas. .Jpeg, .jpg....

What's the difference? The uploader doesn't like .jpeg and I'm trying to convert them. :dopeslap:

I'm workin on it, fellas. .Jpeg, .jpg....

What's the difference? The uploader doesn't like .jpeg and I'm trying to convert them. :dopeslap:

Evening DarkLeftArm

You can't post a picture directly here. You need to host it on a separate web site (like Photo Bucket or other photo hosting site) then link it to your post here.

Beautiful bike indeed - congrats! So, no antenna, no antenna hole in the nosecone and no LCD display indicates no radio in the glove box. It still could be wired for one.

If you want a simple but not slick solution, you could tap into the parking lamp wiring using a posi-lock. When you get to the bike look into the headlight housing (or turn the key to park) and you will see the bulb off to the side.

Better to run off of the fusebox/battery or radio wiring if it has it. This will require Tupperware removal.

Good luck!

DarkLeftArm

Yup, better to do it right. I've had VERY mixed results with those posilock gizmos. I

I will definitely be looking towards the radio power. Hopefully I'll spot it!

Any clues what it looks like?

Dirtrider gave great guidance in this thread a few years back. Note it was about an RT-P (Police), but there is a picture of the RT wiring. Your's may very well be different, or not there at all.

For your Tupperware, find a nice ball-end 3MM hex screwdriver.

DarkLeftArm

Thanks, Jake. And everybody. Thanks for your warm welcome and your help.

I think I found a pretty nice place, right here!

Morning DarkLeftArm

OK, we (well you) have a problem as the bike obviously doesn't have a radio but with no antenna it probably doesn't have the factory radio prep kit either (maybe the radio prep on the 2002 1150RT was only a U.S. offering.

In any case you probably can't depend on the radio power connectors being on that bike.

So, to go prepared with the most logical option that would be a battery direct (fused) harness, or a fuse box connect 12v (fused) harness.

The simple solution (IF) that bike has a radio fuse (that is not known as it isn't a U.S. 1150RT) is to just use the radio fuse cavity (without a fuse in it) to power the GPS (just a simple terminal to push into the power side of the radio fuse socket then run the ground side of your GPS harness to a clean chassis bolt.

If no radio fuse then you will also need a fuse-power-tap that goes between an existing fuse in the fuse box & the existing fuse.

Doing this long range sure makes being prepared in advance important so you should probably have a few different options in your kit when you get there.

You also didn't tell us the Zumo model-- some of the older Zumo series have a power/charging cradle that draws power all the time (even without a GPS in the cradle). On those you really should have way to unplug or turn off the cradle power input if the bike sits for a while.

My guess is that the radio connector is likely their, even without the prep kit. But, maybe not. :/

However, I grabbed power for my Zumo from the Optional Equipment Connector (OEC). I'm not sure what optional equipment it was supposed to power (alarm, maybe as it has wires back to the blinker relay). It has has a hot red/white wire and brown ground. It is fused back to #3. That is what I used. It is a light blue connector located left, up front near the radio connector.

Here's a link to a wiring diagram that is floating around the internet. Look at the last page near the bottom.

R1150RT-2-Plug-Elec-Diagram-V1_1.pdf

OEC.jpg

Edited by greiffster

Morning Mike

That Optional Equipment Connector is the 2nd part of the radio connection (the factory radio hooks to both connectors at the front of the glove box area) That red/white wire is the full time 12v to the radio & the other connector has the purple ign S/W controlled 12v power to the radio.

I'm not sure that connector is available if the bike wasn't built with a radio option (it might very well have been but not being a U.S. bike I wouldn't count on it without a back-up plan).

Ah. Well, mine was definitely prepped for the radio. Hopefully DarkLeftArm has those connectors up front. It's a convenient place to snag some power.

DarkLeftArm

You guys are great!

The GPS is a Zumo 660lm. It's fairly new, but it was like "last years model" when I got it.

I'm gonna keep the bike over there in Martin's barn for future trips, so I think I'll take along an SAE plug or three to wire it. That way I can hook right to the fuse box or even the battery, and unplug the cradle when in storage. It could use a power source up by my tank bag, too for the phone.

I think the powerlet sockets on the left side will power my wife's electric gear okay.

Thanks for that wiring diagram. If the radio harness is there, I'll use it.

One other question I have is, what type of fuses does the bike use? Blade type? I should probably include an assortment in my repair kit, too.

One other question I have is, what type of fuses does the bike use? Blade type? I should probably include an assortment in my repair kit, too.

Afternoon DarkLeftArm

Yes, automotive blade type (not the mini).

• 3 weeks later...
Hey everybody. New guy here. This looks like a nice place to hang out and learn about the bike I have acquired. Here at home, I ride a Yamaha, but I decided I want to ride in Europe. Shipping a bike seemed too pricey to me, so, Long story even longer, I bought a bike in Ireland. I've only seen pictures of it, but my name is on the title. It is a 2002 R1150RT with super low miles that's been meticulously maintained by its original owner. Now it sits in a friend's barn awaiting my arrival next month.......

Bert

Bert,

Sounds similar to my situation.

No BMW experience.

Wanted a bike at daughters house across the country (San Diego). Was looking for 2001-2004 in a certain price range.

Was surprised to find a 02 1150RT in my price range when was not even considering BMWs. Made a deposit the next morning.

Was several weeks before I was standing next to it. Could not figure out any thing of how to operate it. It Had a key in the ignition already with a big knob on it, so I did not recognize it as the key swtich, so could not figure out what to do with the key in my hand. And I could not figure out how to open the side bag. I got the side bag loose from the mounting, burt wasnt getting the bag open. Was quite annoyed, puzzled, and questioing if this was such a good idea.

When did figure out the ignition key, and turned the the key... lots of flashing warning lights.

Eventually figured it out, and enjoyed many of its great characteristic.

Had a few things I did not enjoy, but will not bother you with that.

Anyway, my advise: Learn about the brake flashing warnings lights. Learn about the sidestand-transmission interlocks (It will crank but not start). Learn about how to open side bags, learn how to remove side bags. Learn how to remove the seat.

Yes, battery is fairly unaccessable. And a replacvmwent is nearly $200 and nearly $200 labor to replace.

Also: Ask PO if still has the the servo brakes. Ask PO when was last time the brake circuits (all four) were flushed. And if more than a couple years, get an estimate from dealer for doing that.

Seems like I can be away from BMWST for weeks, then log on, and will be a new member posting of "new to BMW, got an 02 1150RT" .... some will actually say "... and surprised at the good price I got it for...."

Seems like others have told you about the radio. (mine has a Kenmore. I have a manual for that if that is what you happen to get).

Edited by Redman
DarkLeftArm

Hiya, Redman.

Thanks for the advice.

Nice looking bike you have there.

Looks like it has some kind of custom stitched seat.

It turns out that one of my riding partners has an 02 RT in his stable. I was able to go over there and climb around on it, and he showed me some of it's idiosyncrasies. How all the locks work, how to access the battery and fuse panel, even pointers on tupperware removal. My friend, Martin who retrieved the bike for me said all the maintenance records were done by the dealer, and up to date.

Another thing I learned about it by the pictures I have is that the factory tool kit is complete, and very comprehensive. I was able to unpack about 10 pounds of a tool kit from my duffel bag. I'm still taking a few things for cheap insurance, but most of that stuff is staying at home.

At this point, all I can do is hope for the best, and double up on contingency planning.

About 4 days til I make first contact with the mighty RT in Ireland. Little excited over here.

Cheers

Bert

DarkLeftArm

This is a GREAT tip.

My wife and I are not small people. And I'm carrying camping gear and enough stuff for a 2 month trip. I think that bike will need all the help it can get.

Thanks for the article.

Cheers

Bert