IGNORED

Changing a headlight bulb on 2012RT

freetime2247

freetime2247

My right headlight bulb is out. Anyone have any experience changing one of these bulbs?

Edited by freetime2247
My right headlight bulb is out. Anyone have any experience changing one of these bulbs?

Morning freetime2247

Yes, it's a pain in the butt!

I usually work from the front reaching up over the front fender as that allows using the right hand. (you can also see that the bulb is seated in the housing properly by looking in through the front)

What DirtRider said - a royal pain to do but it is possible. The smaller your hands the better.

One trick that I learned - I used a dandelion puller to get the clips back on. Check a Lowe's or Home Depot for this tool - long handled device with a V end that will hold the clip wire very nicely and allow you to apply the pressure needed to attach the clips.

Jim

A trick I use is a short length of plastic tubing sized to snuggly hold the two prongs of the bulb. Insert bulb with tube then close spring clips, remove tube.

freetime2247

What a real pain in the butt. Two hours and I still can't get the bulb to seat correctly not to mention nicks and scrapes. If I ever get this bulb in I'll trade the bike before I change another! And I thought this process was difficult on my ST. LOL

Edited by freetime2247
What a real pain in the butt. Two hours and I still can't get the bulb to seat correctly not to mention nicks and scrapes. If I ever get this bulb in I'll trade the bike before I change another! And I thought this process was difficult on my ST. LOL

Morning freetime2247

It gets easier & goes more smoothly the 2nd & 3rd time that you do it. A local BMW tec can change that R/H bulb in about 45 seconds but he has small hands & LOTS of practice.

freetime2247

Morning freetime2247

It gets easier & goes more smoothly the 2nd & 3rd time that you do it. A local BMW tec can change that R/H bulb in about 45 seconds but he has small hands & LOTS of practice.

Yup, I just made the decision to ride the bike to the dealer and let him change it.

MichiganBob

Oh boy oh boy oh boy .. I can hardly wait for this challenge. I'll be interested in comparing it to changing a headlight on a Subaru Outback. It was so crazy that my dealer now gives us free bulb replacements until 2020. Wish BMW would do that. Fat chance.

freetime2247

Well, I finally changed the bulb after about three hours of persistence. For me it was much tougher than it appeared and I sure don't want to change another!

MichiganBob

Any lessons learned to pass along Freetime? Other than bring it into the shop. I like to do my own work whenever possible.

B

freetime2247

The only lessened I learned is be patient. The area is small and no way you can see in there. I'm sure my next attempt would take much less time. Although, I'm inclined to let the dealer handle this simple task!

• 10 months later...
MichiganBob

Good Evening.

I changed the low beam on my 2012 1200RT. There are lots of suggestions on how to go about it. What worked for me was to remove the top body panel. That gave me enough access to get my xl cadet hand ( xl palm with stubby fingers) into the bulb chamber. Not too difficult after that. When inserting the new bulb, look through the headlight glass to see where the bulb is and determine when it is seated. That;s about it. Good luck. If one is burnt out like mine was, you might as well change both of them avoiding trouble down the road.

Bob

freetime2247

I changed another bunt out bulb and it only took about 10mins. I guess I learned a lesson from the 1st headlight bulb change. Still thats two burnt bulbs in less than two years.

2009 - left is easier than right (for me - 5 minutes) and that includes bare connectors, since the block is long since gone.

Right: removed the top side fairing, to get hand #2 in to help. Took about an hour.

Looking at HID or LED now.

Dean Wirsing

I put the DDM Tuning HID kit on my 2007 RT around 2015. I had been changing the bulbs on a yearly basis until I went HID. No problems at all, so far, knock on wood.

The HID is much brighter as well. Not a difficult job at all.

Dean

SteveRTParker

Hi all, did both of mine last year, much easier if you take off the side fairings adj the light bulbs, you get easy access and can even see what you are doing.

Hope this helps.