IGNORED

R1200RS: A misunderstood bike?

NWBeemerBoy

NWBeemerBoy

I bought a 2016 R1200RS three weeks ago to replace my aging 2004 R1150RT. I find it a joy to ride. Small enough to hop on for a quick ride to the grocery store, powerful enough to blast through a few hundred miles of interstate. Comfy seat, cruise, heated grips, electronic rider aids and a really nice integrated GPS and a set of bags for touring. It handles great, makes a great sound and is quick enough to put a grin on your face every time. It's also the fourth worst seller in BMW's lineup, moving just over 4,000 units in 2015.

Do I have bad taste in bikes or is this just the most underrated jewel with a rondel?

NO. It is the bike I would purchase if I were looking to upgrade from my 04 R1100S. I think just more riders want the RT or GS, so this leaves this great find for you and others who want more of a sports sedan than a limo. ENJOY!

The R1200RS is essentially an update of the 2005-2007 R1200ST, which also sold poorly. In 2007 BMW sold less than 30 units in the US.

duckbubbles

I have always gravitated towards the "sportier" end of the line. I had an ST for 8 years until a deer decided I shouldn't ride it anymore. I bought a used RT thinking I would like the "comfort". Really a great bike but I just could not get over the sheer SIZE of the damned thing. Plus at anything over about 85 deg. it was too warm for me(I live in Texas). I've had an RS for almost 18 months and love it in every way. I just hope BMW doesn't kill it off like they tend to do with their sportier models.

Frank

The original R 100 RS was a breakthrough motorcycle.

The subsequent oilhead, R 1100 RS, was a pioneer.

During oilhead years of production the RT out sold the RS 2 to 1, but, a huge number were sold.

I'm taller, and long legged, yet I fit on the R 1100 RSL and rode it solo, and two up, for many years.

Then, the "new" version (hoped for) came out.

The ST.

It was not an RS.

I did not fit on it, it had other quirks, and design issues.

WTH?

Almost like BMW intentionally wanted to separate the past and present.

Makes you wonder.

And no surprise it sold poorly, for many reasons.

Then the "new" R 1200 RS.

Hmmm, closer to the oilhead, certainly not the sirhead version.

Seems like a nice design.

So, no, not bad taste in bikes.

BMW needs to realize, again, that all the new models that aren't boxers, are fine.

BUT, they need to treat the boxer line with respect, and variety.

Pricing needs to be addressed also.

It was one of the R 1100 RS problems. No bags, no electic screen, no this or that, and priced too high.

Yes, options could be added, but pricing was too high, compared to RT.

Intentional?

If I was looking, the RS would be ahead of the RT, becasue of weight, and heat conditions.

The GS might be ahead of it, 50/50, for me.

But nothing a good PR dose, pricing, and incentives can't cure wrt selling a lot of the new RS's.

Enjoy.

I think what's wrong w/ RS is it's ergos kill it as competing fully w/ something like RT/GS because it is not the type of ergos that give those bikes sterling capability as BOTH a sport bike and a tourer. Hanging bags on an RS or XR for that matter don't seal the deal as a fully capable true all-arounder capable of sport handling AND all day comfort. Somebody thinks this configuration isn't possible until you get into 604lbs on up, and yet there is nothing necessary about that. When the new RS debuted I was real happy to see the weight and power, but ergos, poor wind management put it in a similar camp as F800GT which I owned and enjoyed but it was, like RS, not quite optimized as an all day tourer for me. So I bought a '16 RT and have put 23K miles on it now in 14 months--fabulous ride, but losing some weight would only make it better.

What I'd love BMW or any brand to build is a machine at ~525lbs max w/ 110hp, electric full height adjustable windscreen, very carefully thought out fairing & luggage that is trimmed like RS' but still very effective in weather, with LINES and paint that emphasize sport, but with ergos much more like RT's, very neutral, very capable of all day comfort. In a nutshell, a Sport Tourer sacrificing NOTHING on comfort, performance, and tech, all in a 525lb max LUXURY package. Take away any one of these attributes including lines to emphasize sport while really addressing comfort will kill it. My sense is this particular configuration is missing from any brand right now and boomers riding 1-up would be drooling to have it! Doesn't need to be a boxer unless that would help it trim off weight. I'd rather see an ultra smooth triple or quad or even V-twin at maybe 900cc or so. The power:weight ratio at 110hp/525lbs would be essentially the same as RTW's.

Bill_Walker

I test rode an RS and loved the bike. I was hoping for a somewhat lighter replacement for the RT, with more airflow. But the riding position is more extreme than the F800GT, and my neck and my knees weren't going to take it. Bar risers might have fixed it, but I wasn't going to chance it. So I got another RT instead.

The RS is a great bike but it harkens back to the days when the ergonomics of the bike had it on the comfortable side of the sport touring side of things and touring bikes were much heavier. This is when a VFR had a big following because it was comfortable for a sporty bike. Over the past 20 years or so touring bikes have gotten much more sporty so we can have comfort of a touring bike without too much handling penalty if any. Of course the ADV bikes offer great comfort and performance as well which is why they have exploded in popularity.

When the RS style bike or VFR sold well you choose between a pretty committed sport riding position or a larger touring bike like a Goldwing, Venture or touring cruiser like a Harley.

I think what hurts the RS the most is how good the current RT is. That thing feels so light and is noticeably more comfortable compared to the RS. Even one generation ago of RT felt heavier than the other BMW's with less body work. Current RT is just such a great bike as is the GS.

The final nail in the coffin for many of us is as others have noted relates to pricing. Priced so close to the RT without the amenities of the RT makes the RS tough for many of us to justify.

Because I grew up in the heyday of this style of bikes I'm always attracted to them. Then I compare them to the current crop of sport touring bikes or ADV bikes and I struggle to justify the purchase of one.

I am very glad BMW offers them. Their commitment to allowing us to choose what works best for us, even if they do not fly off showroom floors is something that I really appreciate.

NWBB, you are a typical Sport touring rider and your motorcycle taste is just fine. BMW made a similar mistake on the R1200ST by making the seating position too sporty. Sport Tourers want a sporty, lighter machine while maintaining comfort and luggage capacity. I had to modify my ST with a handlebar kit to transform it to the great bike BMW almost sold to the public. Now my bike is nearly as comfortable as a RT with the added leverage at the bars to enhance steering to near GS territory. Funny now that my machine is over 10 years old, the style of the ST fools many into thinking it is much newer.

I wish I could work for BMW to help design the perfect Sport Tourer. Anyone remember the adjustable handle bars of the K1200GT that raised as they got closer to the rider? :dopeslap: Too bad the K1200GT was heavy.

I have to disagree with many of your opinions. I find the ergonomics on my ST to be just right. The operative word in sport touring is sport. If you want a touring bike, buy an RT. I have no problem doing 700 mile days on my stock ST, but a certain amount of physical conditioning is required. I do agree that many people think my ST is a new design. I get compliments on the road all the time.

Sport Tourers want a sporty, lighter machine while maintaining comfort and luggage capacity.

I wish I could work for BMW to help design the perfect Sport Tourer.

My sentiments exactly. What a fun challenge to design I can see elements of it very clearly. I'm convinced it would create very strong demand if done really well because this perfect hybrid is not a compromise of anything: Super strong on performance, comfort including full-range electric screen, tech, touring ergos, sporting lines--but at 525lbs wet w/ empty side cases on. This is highest level performance on any pavement from canyon twisties to full on interstate boredom! This is the challenge that has not been done by any brand. It will be to Sport Tourers what iPhone was to other smartphones of the day I predict.

Love mine. Bought it on the last day of 2016 with all the options plus bags for $16,710. To improve tour comfort I added a Wunderlich tall screen, HP adjustable rearsets, Helibar risers and a Sargent saddle.

For protection from the elements I added inner and outer rear mud guards and a front mud guard.

Compared to the KGT the RS in it's current configuration is 40% tour and 60% sport.

The only thing I wish for is 1 more gallon of fuel. Stopping about 180ish for fill up seems to be the range.

NWBeemerBoy

Sounds like you paid about what I did. $18,139 with the three hard bags, a BMW tank bag and Navigator VI.

By definition a hyphenated bike is going to be a compromise between the two styles of bikes it's trying to be. For me, at least so far, I can't be more excited but I still have that new bike smell. I'm planning a 2K mile trip through the eastern Sierras the end of the summer so we shall see how it performs on that kind of a road trip.

I'll say the same thing I said about the ST when it came out......I can't wait until I start seeing lightly used ones on Craigslist for under $10k

I loved my RT for touring and commuting, but the wind protection killed me in the summer time. I love my GS even more for touring, but I rarely commute on it anymore, and almost never take it for a "joyride". I think I would do that with an RS. Great looking bikes

I wish I could work for BMW to help design the perfect Sport Tourer. Anyone remember the adjustable handle bars of the K1200GT that raised as they got closer to the rider? dopeslap Too bad the K1200GT was heavy.

The adjustable handlebars was a change for the USA market.

In Europe they were full foward and down, as sporty as they could be.

I'd like the old RSL size with the new WC and bags.

Throw an adjustable screen, not a barn door, ABS, cruise, and prewired for GPS, aux lights.

A new tank design to carry 6 gallons.

A real horn(s). Multi function turn signal/running lights. Adjustable fender mudguards, like back in the day.

A real world saddle.

And, of course, it comes in black.

Accents optional.

:Cool:

I loved my RT for touring and commuting, but the wind protection killed me in the summer time. I love my GS even more for touring, but I rarely commute on it anymore, and almost never take it for a "joyride". I think I would do that with an RS.

Exactly my experiences. Brought my first RT from Chi-Town to Florida and baked. Tried a Street Triple, fun ride but too small and short legged. Went back to an RT and baked again. Now have a Duc ST4s which really splits the difference nicely. The RS to my thinking is a niche bike that would really work as the Duc does for me. I may be back on a BMW someday, but it'll be an R or an RS. I want/need/gotsta have that wind flow.

Something that works for that "joyride" bike is important as well. I might have the opportunity to get out of the state once a year - something has to fill the weekend need. When I retire the RT may become a better choice, but not now.

fourteenfour
The RS's biggest problem is that it's priced the same as an RT.
I was so surprised at how much it cost and how that just kept getting worse when I added the bags back to it
Dennis Andress
I was so surprised at how much it cost and how that just kept getting worse when I added the bags back to it

I really want one, but my time of buying new BMWs is past. No rush, in 3 or 4 years there will be a used one with my name on it.

Something that works for that "joyride" bike is important as well. I might have the opportunity to get out of the state once a year - something has to fill the weekend need. When I retire the RT may become a better choice, but not now.

I scratched that itch with the Buell S1 in my sig line. It gets referred to around here as "The Thunder Thong". Its a loud, obnoxious, vibey, needs repaired about every 1000 miles, but damn its a blast to ride (for no longer than 100 miles at a time)

I've keep finding myself drooling over Aprilia Tuonos, but I can't bring myself to part ways with my GS right now, and thats the only way I could justify it.

In Germany in 2016 the R1200RS was elected bike of the year.

It sells pretty well, better than the R1200RT.

According to bike magazine `Das Motorrad´ the RS don´t have actually real competitors.

Rob

I have a '93 RSL equipped with a Russell day Long saddle, bar risers from Bob's BMW, 23" Parabellum windscreen and an LC-2 with wideband O2 sensor. Thing I really like the most about the bike is the relatively light weight at around 520 lbs. It has the original M93 transmission and shifts somewhat tractor like but that's just old school BMW. I really like the looks of the new RS but not sure about the seat. Kind of wish it had telelever front suspension but the forks look like they can do the job so i think BMW did good.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday, at the gas station in my small town, I met a young couple (20's) riding a R 1200 RS. They raved about how well it rode, how comfortable it was and the luggage. Really happy campers.

• 2 weeks later...
fourteenfour

So I took a test drive of one of these, Bobby at BMW Motorcycles of Atlanta; great guys both in sales and service; has one at a great price with bags.

Loved the ride, loved the handling, even the seating position and arm position worked for me. I just could not get the wind flow past my helmet to work. I either got a dull roar or a turbulent roar. It was worse with the shield fully raised and almost decent with the shield down.

Still if anyone is in the area its priced right and has bags.

John Bentall

I don't think you have bad taste - just mature taste. You know what you want and you go for it.

Others with a more juvenile taste would walk straight past the 1200RS to look at the K1300S or S1000RR, seduced no doubt by the axiom that if "Enough power is good, then more power must be better".

It is their choice and I completely respect it. I respect those that choose a K1600GT over a R1200RT - but the K is not the bike for me.

Too bad the K1200GT was heavy.

Agreed! Love the bike, torquey engine and the flawless cruise-ability (95mph is just about right)...But she is Not light on her feet!

fourteenfour

K1200GT/K1300GT heavy? Maybe because too much was carried high but its not that much more than the R1200RT ready to ride

beemerman2k

I agree. Fantastic bike for sure, and I loved the R1200ST.