Inlaw1

View Profile

Email

Personal Message (Online)

Need help / suggestions

« on: 2017-06-19 01:45:20 »

Modify

Remove

I'm taking a Europe tour end of Aug and will be riding a '16 or '17 RT1200. I want to mount my Garmin 276cx with a RAM mount and the tour operator / bike rental outfit will let me mount the unit to their bike, just can't damage anything. That shouldn't be too hard, I'm looking for something that will be easy on / off and won't mar up the bike. Preferably a RAM ball mount. I already have the Garmin mount attached to a RAM arm, just need some kind of 1' ball base to mount somewhere on the RT. I was looking at a RAM mount that will mount to the clutch / brake lever but it appears they don't make one for the RT. So I'm considering a reservoir cover base.

Thought I'd see if those here with RT's might have some suggestions I could use. Any help is, of course, mucho appreciated.

Bill_Walker

Buy a GS control clamp (about $40). It has a 10mm hole in it to mount the handlebar mirrors on a GS, but RAM makes a ball that screws right into it. You'll need a T-30 Torx bit to change it out, and ideally, access to a torque wrench (they stamped "8 nM" right on the clamp, so they must be serious about it). Note that you'll also need those, plus the right sized hex bit, to install the mount shown in szurszewski's post. But his mount is a lot cheaper. You may, however, need longer screws for it. I installed a similar Techmount, which came with 45mm screws, and they only engaged by a few threads, whereas the factory bolts had quite long engagement. I ordered up some replacement 50 mm screws, but before they arrived I discovered and decided to switch to the GS clamp, so I can't tell you whether they're too long. And the RAM mount may not be the same thickness, anyway.

Also bring a grease pencil to mark the position of the clutch control on the handlebar, so you can ensure it's in the same place afterwards.

Doesn't the tour operator provide a GPS? Do you already have European maps on your 276C?

Doesn't the tour operator provide a GPS? Do you already have European maps on your 276C?

The tour operator will rent you one, but it won't have maps on it. I'd like to use the 276 as I'm familiar with it and would like to have tracks from each day.

Thanks for the input on mounting. One question, sorry if it's rather igernent, but... The GS control clamp? Not having ever owned a BMW I'm not that familiar with them and not exactly sure what clamp your referring to or where I'd find one for sale.

Thanks again.

note that one of the questions is: will this fit my 2016 R1200RT, and the answer is: yes.

Well, isn't that interesting. That is the original idea I had for mounting, until I went to the RAM site and they didn't list it for the RT.

Thanks for the input. At that price I'll take one just in case it will work. I like that Wunderlich multi pod mounting point though.

Bill_Walker

The tour operator will rent you one, but it won't have maps on it. I'd like to use the 276 as I'm familiar with it and would like to have tracks from each day.

Thanks for the input on mounting. One question, sorry if it's rather igernent, but... The GS control clamp? Not having ever owned a BMW I'm not that familiar with them and not exactly sure what clamp your referring to or where I'd find one for sale.

Thanks again.

The control clamp is the omega-shaped piece that holds the clutch lever/reservoir assembly onto the handlebars. The curved part goes around the handlebar, and there are holes for screws in the two "ears" of the omega, through which screws attach to the clutch lever assembly. The GS version has a threaded boss on the top of it for mounting rear view mirrors. The RT version lacks this boss. If I'm reading the parts fiche right, the GS version is part #32728532971. And you'll have to go to a BMW motorcycle dealer, or his web site, to find one. If you have a local dealer, they may also stock the RAM ball you need. Mine did. My dealer, BMW Motorcycles of Escondido, had the part in stock, and you can order parts shipped from their web site.

Um, re the GPS, I can't see the point of the operator renting you a GPS with no maps. It wouldn't have your precomputed routes on it, of course, but I'd be really surprised if it had no maps. I don't think road navigation GPSs will even operate without maps.

The control clamp is the omega-shaped piece that holds the clutch lever/reservoir assembly onto the handlebars. The curved part goes around the handlebar,

Oh, yea! I got ya. Thanks for the clarification. Would this what be what you are talking about? Not a BMW part, but RAM part.

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Motorcycle-Clutch-Reservoir-1-Inch/dp/B0012TT8BK

Um, re the GPS, I can't see the point of the operator renting you a GPS with no maps.

Your right, I meant routes. I wanted them to send me routes so I could just load them up on my 276cx, but they said they don't have files. I asked the purpose of having the GPS on the bike then, and they stated, "In case you want one." I have both North America and the Europe maps on micro SD for the 276. We're doing a week in a BMW M4 over to eastern France where my Uncle was KIA during WWII and then a road trip down through northern Italy and up to Salzburg back to Munich. Then a week of the Alps and Dolomites on the RT.

Thanks for all the help.

Bill_Walker
The control clamp is the omega-shaped piece that holds the clutch lever/reservoir assembly onto the handlebars. The curved part goes around the handlebar,

Oh, yea! I got ya. Thanks for the clarification. Would this what be what you are talking about? Not a BMW part, but RAM part.

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Motorcycle-Clutch-Reservoir-1-Inch/dp/B0012TT8BK

No. If you look at the fourth photo down on that Amazon page, the clamp is the thing behind the RAM part they're selling. But the RAM part uses the same screw holes and also holds the clamp on.

Mike the Ghoul

Maybe this will help.https://www.amazon.com/RAM-Mounts-RAP-B-404U-Tough-Claw-Diameter/dp/B00KOEQXDU/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1498350241&sr=8-14&keywords=ram+mount+clamp

find a place to clamp it to and you're off.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the help folks! Went with the Wunderlich adapter to screw into the handlebar and a Ram ball stud to screw into that. Have a Ram suction cup mount as a backup. Looks like an easy clean set up that will take minimal tools to install / remove.

Now I need a bit of an assistance with a power outlet. Originally I thought I'd just run off the 276cx battery which has up to 16 hours of use, but with the screen on bright it decreases that time significantly. I can power the mount but would need to plug it into something. So, does the RT have a factory outlet? And where would it be located. Further, I'm assuming the European model, which I'll be on, has a different size socket if there is one?

Thanks for all the help, maybe a little more? :)

Francois_Dumas

I don't know if there's a 'special US size socket' on the BMW's, but in Europe they come with the 'BMW size' socket, which is smaller than a regular 12V adapter plug you'd find in cars.

I would think this would be the same on ALL BMW's ?

Thanks for the input. Anyone know where the socket on the bike is located? Trying to figure out how much cord I'll need without having a bunch of excess.

Thanks,

Thanks for the input. Anyone know where the socket on the bike is located? Trying to figure out how much cord I'll need without having a bunch of excess.

Thanks,

There are two. One is on the fairing, on the right in similar position as where the controls for the radio is on the left. The second one is in the rear, left, just inside of the left pannier, on the bike.

Thanks,

There are two. One is on the fairing, on the right in similar position as where the controls for the radio is on the left. The second one is in the rear, left, just inside of the left pannier, on the bike.

Thank you sir!