IGNORED

Radio Removal

Shiny Side Up

Shiny Side Up

Ok - gonna ditch the radio in my '04 R1150RT.

Can't hear it anyway on the highway and want to use the compartment for storage.

I'd appreciate any advice from folks who've done this - anything I should be aware of before taking the radio out? (Beside the hot 12VDC wire)

Leave the speakers or remove them as well?

Ok - gonna ditch the radio in my '04 R1150RT.

Can't hear it anyway on the highway and want to use the compartment for storage.

I'd appreciate any advice from folks who've done this - anything I should be aware of before taking the radio out? (Beside the hot 12VDC wire)

Leave the speakers or remove them as well?

Afternoon Mike

I usually leave the speakers until I have the dash apart for something else (they will cause no harm)

You can just unplug both radio plugs where they plug into the bike's radio harness, then remove the radio fuse from the fuse box. (that will still leave the ign-on B+ active in the connector but that is the way they came from the factory with radio prep kit)

You can buy a glove box bottom from E-Bay or remove the radio from the radio box then duct tape it up to be sealed.

Afternoon Mike

I usually leave the speakers until I have the dash apart for something else (they will cause no harm)

Yup, same. I left mine in until I had the dash out to pull some wires up and over my shelf. You'll save a little weight as those speakers are heavier than they look, but I wouldn't bother unless I was in there.

Shiny Side Up

dirtrider - greiffster,

Gotcha!!

Gonna tear into the dash this winter and replace some bulbs with LEDs, grease up the windscreen mechanics. Will probably remove the speakers and all the guts then.

Thank you both for the input and advice!!

When I removed the radio from my RT I cut a square of plastic put RTV on it and pop riveted it in place to cover the hole. I took the switched power wire and ran it in to the glove box for a convenient power source. At the time I mounted my Autocom in there, still left with plenty of room for other things. I left the speakers installed until I had to go in for something else.

Shiny Side Up
When I removed the radio from my RT I cut a square of plastic put RTV on it and pop riveted it in place to cover the hole. I took the switched power wire and ran it in to the glove box for a convenient power source. At the time I mounted my Autocom in there, still left with plenty of room for other things. I left the speakers installed until I had to go in for something else.

Yep - kinda my plan as well... Thanks!

Or you can pull off the antenna tip, cut it down to about to about 2", then reinstall the black tip. It looks like SAT or GPS antenna and it's a great place to hang your helmet. :thumbsup: