IGNORED

PIAA Lights for R1150RT

gmarktbone

Greetings,

I recently acquired a set of new PIAA lights that I would like to mount to my 2002 R1150RT. These lights were new in the box and were purchased for a K1200RS. The model number of the lights is 1100x. I didn't notice the whole K12RS thing until after I purchased them. There is a picture of my bike on the box, and it said 1100x, so I assumed that these lights could be mounted on any 1100 or 1150. Turns out that 1100x is the model number of the lights.

Anyway... Has anyone here tried to mount these on an 1150RT? If so, how did you do it? The mounting bolts that are included are bigger than any place I have on my bike to put the lights.

They look great, and I would like to mount them on my bike if possible. If not, I can make someone a great deal for a K12RS...

Thanks.

You should be able to install them in front of the oil cooler. Search Web images on the subject and if you need a specific part hit me with a PM.

There is a mounting plate available that places them under the oil cooler. That being said, make sure your front shock/spring is in good condition and won't allow the fender brace to contact the lights on compression.

RPG

As stated, front of cooler.

Where I put them on my GT.

And, I had them on my RSL.

Replaced the BMW rondel on the side of the fairing with these.

Very conspicuous.

YMMV

Bill_Walker

There's a PIAA bracket that mounts them under the oil cooler. I happen to have a brand new one that I bought to replace mine, one side of which cracked after riding some very rough roads with a bad shock. By the time I received the new one, I'd made repairs to the old one, so I just put it on the shelf in case my repairs didn't hold. But I recently traded in my R1150RT, so I have no need of it. I paid $75 for it on EBay last November. Make me an offer.

My conscience does compel me to point out that I recently discovered that replacement bulbs for the 1100X are no longer available. If you can get the lenses off your old bulbs, you can make do with an MR16 bulb from the hardware store. However, the bracket can be used to mount other lights of a similar size.

Thanks to all for the detailed replies. Just to clarify, when folks say to mount these lights in front of the oil cooler, I'm assuming that we are talking about drilling a couple of (huge) holes and running the included bolts through the plastic. Is that what y'all mean?

I don't know if these folks are still in business, but EZ Mount made a light mounting plate for the R1100RT and another for the R1150RT. The plate attached to the fairing just below the oil cooler - no holes - and then the lights attached to the plate. I'm headed to my local shop this morning, they had an 1150 kit in "clearance sale" bin last time I was there. I'll look. I have the 1100RT kit on my bike. Similar to the photo above.

I had that set up on my 1150. I bought the shelf from a company called cycle gadget. Unfortunately they aren't around any more. There were no holes to drill. It mounted using existing hardware. It was a great shelf because the way it was set up you could adjust the pointing angle of those lights by hand, no wrenches and they would stay in place. During daytime I pointed them straight ahead. At night I pointed one for the shoulder and one more towards center stripe. Mine were the PIAA 5 lights. I never turned them off, rode them 40,000 miles, and never had a bulb replacement.

Bill_Walker
Thanks to all for the detailed replies. Just to clarify, when folks say to mount these lights in front of the oil cooler, I'm assuming that we are talking about drilling a couple of (huge) holes and running the included bolts through the plastic. Is that what y'all mean?

No. The PIAA mount is a metal bracket that mounts, as shown in the photo a couple of posts above this, behind the plastic and under the oil cooler. There are no holes to drill. It mounts using existing oil cooler mounting points. You will have to remove the tupperware (the side panels of the bodywork) to be able to access the mounting points (but you'll have to do that anyway to run the wiring).

Edited by Bill_Walker

No. The PIAA mount is a metal bracket that mounts, as shown in the photo a couple of posts above this, behind the plastic and under the oil cooler. There are no holes to drill. It mounts using existing oil cooler mounting points. You will have to remove the tupperware (the side panels of the bodywork) to be able to access the mounting points (but you'll have to do that anyway to run the wiring).

Mark - I went to the shop and they still had the EZY-Mount kit in its original package. The mount is as described above, metal bracket under the cooler. Original retail of that mount was $69.95

Mark - I sent you a PM

EZYMount1_zpsbau2govz.jpg