BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Topic Options
#990414 - 06/24/17 06:54 AM I Guess I Need Help
David13 Offline

Loc: Utah
I was riding today from Los Angeles to Utah today. Stopping in Barstow, the bike didn't start back up.
It was hot so I waitied a bit to see if it would cool down. After 10 minutes it started and I rode on to Baker.
However, then it wouldn't start at all at 10 or more tries over an hour.
I have my computer with me but not the GS911.
Of course it may be the fuel pump controller.
I called BMW Las Vegas, the nearest and they said maybe controller or fuel pump.
I got it towed to Las Vegas (not cheap) and LB BMW says they don't have a controller in stock.
I had to wait 6 hours for the tow. They were busy and we saw a lot of cars broke down on the road.
LB BMW can't do anything to it til Tuesday.
I got a rental car so I can continue my travels. Then maybe pick up the bike Tuesday.
I don't know if LV BMW ever had a good reputation.
I guess the only help i might need is advice.
dc

#990431 - 06/24/17 12:51 PM Re: I Guess I Need Help [Re: David13]
lkraus Offline

Loc: Central Ohio
Sounds like you are on the road again, without the bike, so all we can offer now are condolences.

You should have been able to hear the fuel pump running if the FPC was working.

I carry four PosiTaps, a print out of this reference, and a few feet of wire in my tool kit to bypass the FPC, just in case. A duplicate of the reference file is also on my phone.

#990446 - 06/24/17 03:07 PM Re: I Guess I Need Help [Re: David13]
CoarsegoldKid Offline

Loc: Coarsegold, Ca, USA
Not much I can do here but say sorry it happened David. A car with AC isn't so bad with this heat though. You might stop in BMW dealerships alone your route to see if they have a controller or make the jumper. However I would guess LV BMW would have one by the time you get back to the bike.

'05 R1200RT 109K miles, takes me down the highway.
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R 16K miles takes me through the woods.

#990494 - 06/25/17 01:35 AM Re: I Guess I Need Help [Re: CoarsegoldKid]
David13 Offline

Loc: Utah
Joe If they had one, they wouldn't sell it to me, saying instead they didn't have one. Nor a pump. But supposedly they will get them both for Tuesday.
There are no other BMW dealers here. Well, Salt Lake which is far to the north.
I had thought about getting one as a spare. And didn't.
I had also thought more than once about adding AAA RV and motorcycle towing. I guess I didn't like the price. And it can't be added retroactively, it's a 7 day wait.
That would have saved me a lot of money.
The a/c really isn't that much of an attraction. The fact that the car runs is. At least for now.
dc

#990717 - 06/28/17 12:05 AM Re: I Guess I Need Help [Re: David13]
Happy Birthday Bud Offline
68% of an RT

Loc: Southern Illinois
For future reference: Progressive covers towing to the nearest Authorized BMW dealer, regardless of mileage, for $15 annual premium.

Moderator:  EffBee