IGNORED

Google Routes to Basecamp to Nav V

hopz

Hello fellow route planners...

I love Google Maps... there, I've said it. Easy, intuitive, maps are up to date, etc. but once made is there an easy way to get a Map Route converted to something that can easily load on the GPS- in my case the Nav V?

Basecamp is probably the most irritating program of any sort I have ever encountered. You can shape a route then load it and viola"... it changes it. etc. Won't go into more details here except to say it remains a P.I.T.A.

So- since some time has passed since my last longish ride... have there been any advancements lately in Routing- hopefully getting G-Maps to play easily on a Nav V?

Morning hopz

There is one way!-- Just load Open Street maps on your GPS & into your computer (or have Base Camp use the Open Street map on your GPS).

I have been using Open Street maps for quite some time now, & depending on the area & how many users take the time to keep the Open Street map updated, as a rule the Open Street is even more up-to-date than the Google map is (I think Google mapping is based on Open Street)

The beauty of Open Street mapping is IF you find something out of date or incorrect & take the time to submit it then next map (very short time frame) will have the problem fixed.

You seem to be a great GPS user candidate to help reform the Open Street mapping in your area.

Open Street is a very routable map with very few gaps in the routing structure.

There are a few ways to get the Google route into your GPS but it can still easily change as your Nav V imports it & re-calculates it into your device. This will become very frustrating if the Google map that you made the route on doesn't EXACTLY match the NT mapping in your GPS.

I have had s-o-m-e luck in using NT mapping routes on the Nav series GPS by making the route in Base Camp, then copying & pasting into MapSource, then re-calculating in MapSource, then transferring form MapSource onto the Nave series GPS.

As I'm sure you know from past experience the avoidances MUST be the very same in Base Camp or MapSource as on your GPS or the GPS will most likely change the route as it is imported into the GPS.

If you don't want routes that you made in Google, Base Camp, or MapSource to change on import then they will have to shaped so precisely that they can't change & still hit the shaping points, OR get another GPS type (like Montana 600/610).

Personally I usually turn off ALL avoidances in both BaseCamp & on my GPS so there is no chance of a conflict. If I built a stable & precise route to begin with then why would I ever need to have an avoidance enabled. (If I don't want to route over gravel roads or bike paths the I don't build my route to include those).

Problem with avoidances enabled is even though you think a road is all pavement or one way, the mapping in your GPS might have a slight glitch so your GPS thinks it has a small section of gravel even thought it doesn't so you get an unintended route change.

Bill_Walker

I'm not aware of any easy way to do it. I generally do my route planning in Google Maps for the reasons you cited, and then, once I've decided on a final route, I manually recreate the route in Basecamp, being sure to include at least one waypoint (not a shaping point, but an actual waypoint) at every turn and on every single stretch of road I want to travel, so that even if the unit recalculates, it'll have to put me on the same roads. Be sure to zoom way in when creating your waypoints, to be sure they're actually on the road you want, and in the case of divided roads, on the right side of the road.

Hmm. I may have just discovered a way to sort of do this. Instead of going to maps.google.com, go to mymaps.google.com and create your new map there. It's a little less intuitive than GM, but not that different. From there, you can export your map in KML format (Google Earth format), and you can import that KML file into BaseCamp. I haven't tried this yet. I've only exported from BaseCamp _to_ Google Earth. But it's worth a try.

Afternoon Bill

You can use Babel GPS to convent a kml into a .gpx but that ONLY gets you a .gpx that will open in Base Camp, it doesn't match the kml creation maps to Base Camp mapping or your GPS mapping.

Actually if you ONLY have Base Camp on your computer & not also Map Source then just clicking on a saved kml should automatically open it in Base Camp.

Problem is, still the mismatch of mapping between Base Camp & your GPS. Simple routes or routes in areas that see no road updates or changes will work OK. Complicated routing or longer routing can get you a mismatch between the creation mapping & the GPS mapping & THAT can make a GPS give you some very strange routes.

I just finished up and did it as Bill_Walker described except that I make sure every point except the start and finish is a shape point. If you don't hit a way point when on the road, the evil Garmin mistress insists you turn around and get to that way point.

I use BaseCamp with the Nav V plugged in and use the loaded map.

If you want to reverse a route, do it in BaseCamp and load the "going to" and "returning from" routes separately. The Nav V won't let you reverse a route, at least not that I've found.

LittleBriar

I use this website to convert from Google Maps to GPX. Then I import into Basecamp. Add additional shaping points to prevent Garmin from changing route when it's recalculated.

Bill_Walker
I use this website to convert from Google Maps to GPX. Then I import into Basecamp. Add additional shaping points to prevent Garmin from changing route when it's recalculated.

How do you do that? Everything I can find on the site converts the other direction, i.e., FROM GPX TO Google Maps.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=6706&filename=Capture.JPG

The link should look like this attachment - if it does not, select "Convert a File" in the green menu bar on top.

In the top line, select the .GPX format for the output format.

Click on a "Choose Files" button to open a file selection box on your computer, navigate to and select your .KML or .KMZ file file.

Click the convert file button.

The page will change, providing a link to download the .GPX file. It also display the file in a text box, and have links to display the route on a map.

6706.jpg.c452cf7ec2344b8c2291205bd3e3b5e3.jpg

Edited by lkraus

I find that it is also possible to import a .KML file directly into Basecamp.

First, I opened and named a new list.

Then, using File ->Import I selected my .KML file.

The waypoints and track (not route) appear in the list, ready for tweaking and conversion to a route.

EDIT: just backtracked a few posts and found DR's comments and caveats about opening a KML in Basecamp. The led me to find that a right-click on a KML file lets me use "Open with" to select Basecamp, which is quicker and easier than Importing the file. The results on a single test file seem to be the same as using GPS_Visualizer.

Edited by lkraus
LittleBriar

Using the image that Larry provided:

Use google maps to create your route. You can drag the route with your mouse to get on the specific roads you desire. Once you get it the way you want, copy the url from the address bar. Then paste that into the box labelled, "Or provide the URL of a file on the Web" you can then save the file that is created. When you import it into basecamp, it comes in as a track which you can right click and then select the option "create route from selected track"

Using the image that Larry provided:

Use google maps to create your route. You can drag the route with your mouse to get on the specific roads you desire. Once you get it the way you want, copy the url from the address bar. Then paste that into the box labelled, "Or provide the URL of a file on the Web" you can then save the file that is created. When you import it into basecamp, it comes in as a track which you can right click and then select the option "create route from selected track"

Morning LittleBriar

I guess I'm missing something here-- What is the gain of making a route in Google maps, then transferring to a special web site to make the Google route usable in BaseCamp, then using BaseCamp to turn the transferred track into a route that will probably have too many points for a lot of GPS units to use without truncating the route & possibly changing the route to something that wasn't originally wanted.

Seems a LOT easier to just make a planned route in BaseCamp to begin with, that way all the time stamps remain intact, the proper shaping points stay in place, the route doesn't end up with flags in the wrong places, & the route just works as planned.

I will admit that BaseCamp isn't the easiest routing program to (initially) use & BaseCamp has very poor help but making a basic route in BaseCamp is fast & very easy once the proper shortcuts & procedures are figured out (to me faster & easier than using Google mapping)

Morning "All Posters/Readers on this thread"

Can any or all of you tell me what is the appeal of using Google maps over using BaseCamp to make a motorcycle route?

Not just that you like Google maps better but EXACTLY WHY you think that Google maps is better for making a route, or making a complex route, or adding precise turn-in points, or anything that you think that Google maps does better?

I do understand that BaseCamp can be intimidating to new users & BaseCamp help is difficult to find but once figured out it really isn't difficult at all & has a LOT of great routing options available.

There are a lot of long time BaseCamp users on this site so if you tell us what in BaseCamp that you are having issues with we might have some nice easy-to-use shortcuts that can make BaseCamp life easier & smoother for you.

Hank R1200RT

Regarding:

Can any or all of you tell me what is the appeal of using Google maps over using BaseCamp to make a motorcycle route?

Open interface vs. proprietary interface.

That being said, smart phones are overtaking dedicated GPS units. One can write an app for iOS or Android, haven't seen any for Garmin. Future is pretty clear.

Morning "All Posters/Readers on this thread"

Not just that you like Google maps better but EXACTLY WHY you think that Google maps is better for making a route, or making a complex route, or adding precise turn-in points, or anything that you think that Google maps does better?

I do understand that BaseCamp can be intimidating to new users & BaseCamp help is difficult to find but once figured out it really isn't difficult at all & has a LOT of great routing options available.

There are a lot of long time BaseCamp users on this site so if you tell us what in BaseCamp that you are having issues with we might have some nice easy-to-use shortcuts that can make BaseCamp life easier & smoother for you.

I'll throw in my 2cents. Some advantages to using google maps include:

TRAFFIC CONDITIONS: in real time, I find google maps traffic more accurate than the traffic reports on my nuvi and for future travel, google maps provides reasonable estimates of the traffic throughout the day and appropriate routes and alternates

FILES AND STORAGE: with MapSource (I still fall back to that sometimes) I can create routes, save waypoints and tracks in separate files just like I would name a file in Word, Excel, or any other application. This makes it easy to store and retrieve data and to work undistracted by irrelevant data when creating or editing a trip/route etc. I just can't get a handle on how Basecamp organizes data in the window on the left side of the screen (under Library).

WAYPOINTS: sometimes we create routes based on waypoints that may not exist in Basecamp (ie curviest route to Joe's Bar and Grill)

(CAN'T THINK OF AN APPROPRIATE TITLE NAME): it's nice to be able to use Street View while creating a route to select or avoid whatever kind of street/road you prefer.

On a separate note, my Zumo (660lm) only has 50+ megs of built in storage free but more than a dozen gigs free on the installed card. It won't let me save more than a handful of routes, forcing me to continually delete existing routes to import (or re-import) new and previously downloaded routes. Any suggestions on freeing up space on the built-in memory, or better yet saving routes onto the memory card? Any way to create folders to better organize my saved routes? (ie travel to/from work, to/from customers, short rides, day-long rides, overnighters, etc etc.)

Anyone know if you can play music (mp3) that is loaded onto Zumo's memory card thru a 1200RT's sound system?

Edited by Rex R

Morning Rex R

TRAFFIC CONDITIONS: in real time, I find google maps traffic more accurate than the traffic reports on my nuvi and for future travel, google maps provides reasonable estimates of the traffic throughout the day and appropriate routes and alternates-- That is more device dependent, not mapping or routing dependent.

FILES AND STORAGE: with MapSource (I still fall back to that sometimes) I can create routes, save waypoints and tracks in separate files just like I would name a file in Word, Excel, or any other application. This makes it easy to store and retrieve data and to work undistracted by irrelevant data when creating or editing a trip/route etc. I just can't get a handle on how Basecamp organizes data in the window on the left side of the screen (under Library).--It's not that bad once you get used to the BaseCamp file & storage & retrieval system. You always have the import & export option to store your routes, tracks, POI's, etc on your computer in separate files & folders & not in the BaseCamp system.

WAYPOINTS: sometimes we create routes based on waypoints that may not exist in Basecamp (ie curviest route to Joe's Bar and Grill)--This is actually easier & faster , & more accurate when building a route in BaseCamp.

(CAN'T THINK OF AN APPROPRIATE TITLE NAME): it's nice to be able to use Street View while creating a route to select or avoid whatever kind of street/road you prefer.--BaseCamp can do this but you will need to subscribe to Birds Eye. BaseCamp also has many options in mapping so you can use routable Toppo maps to build a super route based on terrain & contour lines.

On a separate note, my Zumo (660lm) only has 50+ megs of built in storage free but more than a dozen gigs free on the installed card. It won't let me save more than a handful of routes, forcing me to continually delete existing routes to import (or re-import) new and previously downloaded routes. Any suggestions on freeing up space on the built-in memory, or better yet saving routes onto the memory card? Any way to create folders to better organize my saved routes? (ie travel to/from work, to/from customers, short rides, day-long rides, overnighters, etc etc.)--That is easy, just export the route or routes directly from MapSource or BaseCamp directly to the device SD card then ONLY import the one(s) that you are currently using. Then delete those routes from main storage when done (they will still be on the SD card for future re-import & future usage.

Personally I usually only keep the current routes & return routes on my GPS main memory as that makes searching & finding the routes that I am currently using & riding MUCH EASIER when bringing up a route while riding.

(ie if I only have 3 routes showing on the GPS as A_to lake,, B_ LakeHome,, C_alt LakeHome then it is a quick & easy switch between routes, even while riding at speed)

Morning Rex R

TRAFFIC CONDITIONS: in real time, I find google maps traffic more accurate than the traffic reports on my nuvi and for future travel, google maps provides reasonable estimates of the traffic throughout the day and appropriate routes and alternates-- That is more device dependent, not mapping or routing dependent. I think it is directly related to the relative merits of Google over Basecamp, because BC does not have traffic info at all. Therefore, advantage: Google!

FILES AND STORAGE: with MapSource (I still fall back to that sometimes) I can create routes, save waypoints and tracks in separate files just like I would name a file in Word, Excel, or any other application. This makes it easy to store and retrieve data and to work undistracted by irrelevant data when creating or editing a trip/route etc. I just can't get a handle on how Basecamp organizes data in the window on the left side of the screen (under Library).--It's not that bad once you get used to the BaseCamp file & storage & retrieval system. You always have the import & export option to store your routes, tracks, POI's, etc on your computer in separate files & folders & not in the BaseCamp system.

Perhaps someone can explain how to save into and retrieve from separate files/folders for me (and the other people who abhor BC

WAYPOINTS: sometimes we create routes based on waypoints that may not exist in Basecamp (ie curviest route to Joe's Bar and Grill)--This is actually easier & faster , & more accurate when building a route in BaseCamp. I don't see how this can be so when I am specifically referring to waypoints that do not exist in BC (ie any new location: store, restaurant, etc.)

(CAN'T THINK OF AN APPROPRIATE TITLE NAME): it's nice to be able to use Street View while creating a route to select or avoid whatever kind of street/road you prefer.--BaseCamp can do this but you will need to subscribe to Birds Eye. BaseCamp also has many options in mapping so you can use routable Toppo maps to build a super route based on terrain & contour lines. Sounds like the advantage again goes to Google, because the options you offer, sir, require paid subscription or utilizing a 3rd party application or data to perform a function easily available in GMaps.

On a separate note, my Zumo (660lm) only has 50+ megs of built in storage free but more than a dozen gigs free on the installed card. It won't let me save more than a handful of routes, forcing me to continually delete existing routes to import (or re-import) new and previously downloaded routes. Any suggestions on freeing up space on the built-in memory, or better yet saving routes onto the memory card? Any way to create folders to better organize my saved routes? (ie travel to/from work, to/from customers, short rides, day-long rides, overnighters, etc etc.)--That is easy, just export the route or routes directly from MapSource or BaseCamp directly to the device SD card then ONLY import the one(s) that you are currently using. Then delete those routes from main storage when done (they will still be on the SD card for future re-import & future usage. Thats precisely what I've been doing. I'm looking for an easier method, to avoid constantly re-importing routes

Personally I usually only keep the current routes & return routes on my GPS main memory as that makes searching & finding the routes that I am currently using & riding MUCH EASIER when bringing up a route while riding.

(ie if I only have 3 routes showing on the GPS as A_to lake,, B_ LakeHome,, C_alt LakeHome then it is a quick & easy switch between routes, even while riding at speed)

To each his own. I like to have the routes imported and available (like older models allowed) so I when I am out riding and decide to change my plans, I can (pull off the road for a minute and) quickly preview routes and modify an existing route to fit my mood at the moment. Deleting and re-importing routes is slower and needlessly complicated, especially in light of the fact that 12 year old Garmins were capable of that simple function (to store many routes without needing to wait to re-import them).

Edited by Rex R

Afternoon Rex R

TRAFFIC CONDITIONS: in real time, I find google maps traffic more accurate than the traffic reports on my nuvi and for future travel, google maps provides reasonable estimates of the traffic throughout the day and appropriate routes and alternates-- That is more device dependent, not mapping or routing dependent. I think it is directly related to the relative merits of Google over Basecamp, because BC does not have traffic info at all. Therefore, advantage: Google!--I guess I'm still missing something here as you can't use Google on the GPS & nether Google or NT mapping has real time traffic on a GPS.

Perhaps someone can explain how to save into and retrieve from separate files/folders for me (and the other people who abhor BC-- Quite easy, just highlight what you want to store off B/C then use the export to or import option. If you want a walk through we can do that but in a separate thread.

WAYPOINTS: sometimes we create routes based on waypoints that may not exist in Basecamp (ie curviest route to Joe's Bar and Grill)--This is actually easier & faster , & more accurate when building a route in BaseCamp. I don't see how this can be so when I am specifically referring to waypoints that do not exist in BC (ie any new location: store, restaurant, etc.)--You need to manually add waypoints in either Google or B/C. If you are referring to POI (Points Of Interest) you can't transfer those directly from Google to your GPS so if not in B/C & you don't manually add them, then I don't see how it matters what mapping that you start with.

(CAN'T THINK OF AN APPROPRIATE TITLE NAME): it's nice to be able to use Street View while creating a route to select or avoid whatever kind of street/road you prefer.--BaseCamp can do this but you will need to subscribe to Birds Eye. BaseCamp also has many options in mapping so you can use routable Toppo maps to build a super route based on terrain & contour lines. Sounds like the advantage again goes to Google, because the options you offer, sir, require paid subscription or utilizing a 3rd party application or data to perform a function easily available in GMaps.-- You can't transfer it to or through B/C so I don't see the advantage. If you just want to look at the terrain along the route then just run through Google Earth (simple click transfer)

On a separate note, my Zumo (660lm) only has 50+ megs of built in storage free but more than a dozen gigs free on the installed card. It won't let me save more than a handful of routes, forcing me to continually delete existing routes to import (or re-import) new and previously downloaded routes. Any suggestions on freeing up space on the built-in memory, or better yet saving routes onto the memory card? Any way to create folders to better organize my saved routes? (ie travel to/from work, to/from customers, short rides, day-long rides, overnighters, etc etc.)--That is easy, just export the route or routes directly from MapSource or BaseCamp directly to the device SD card then ONLY import the one(s) that you are currently using. Then delete those routes from main storage when done (they will still be on the SD card for future re-import & future usage. Thats precisely what I've been doing. I'm looking for an easier method, to avoid constantly re-importing routes-- Unless you have a LOT of junk on your GPS main drive then you should be able to store a LOT or routes on your GPS main drive. If you have Music or other stuff on the main GPS drive then transfer those to the SD card. A route sent to a Garmin is just points so is not very large.

To each his own. I like to have the routes imported and available (like older models allowed) so I when I am out riding and decide to change my plans, I can (pull off the road for a minute and) quickly preview routes and modify an existing route to fit my mood at the moment. Deleting and re-importing routes is slower and needlessly complicated, especially in light of the fact that 12 year old Garmins were capable of that simple function (to store many routes without needing to wait to re-import them).--I'm still missing something here as your device should easily be able to store on the main drive enough routes for normal riding in an area. You don't need 20 Florida routes on the main drive if you are riding in Nebraska. Just how many routes CAN you store on your main drive now? If you need more main drive room then make a copy of your GPS drive (you should anyhow in case of a problem) then delete all the voices that you don't use, delete all the vehicles (pointers)that you don't use, delete any pictures that you don't use, etc.

Before giving upon Basecamp, have a look at this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Q2U3McvjM.

It may not cover everything but in my opinion,it demonstrates most of what an average user may need.

Also, check out the "Garmin Guru",also on youtube. He is in the UK but that really doesn't matter.

Both these have helped me and now I only use Basecamp with my 660.

Bill_Walker

I've been using BaseCamp for a long time. I've created many, many routes in BaseCamp, and in MapSource before it. I still find Google Maps much quicker and easier to use for route planning, especially when I've got several options I want to compare. I never find I've got the wrong tool selected for what I want to do, the search functions are FAR better, I can get to street view immediately and without a subscription, it's much easier to drag routes onto the roads you want them on and to add intermediate destinations, and Google's time estimates are far more accurate than Garmin's, who seems to assume you'll be travelling at the speed limit for every inch of your route.

There's nothing you can do with Google Maps that you can't do with BaseCamp, except share a route by sharing a URL, but BaseCamp makes every single operation slower and more cumbersome. In software parlance, Google Maps' User Interface (UI) is elegant, and BaseCamp's UI is kludgey. I wonder how many of us who prefer to use GM are Mac users vs. Windows users. BaseCamp has a very Windows/Microsoft feel, even on a Mac, and maybe that's the problem.

Re real time traffic, the Navigator VI retrieves real-time traffic and weather from your Bluetooth-paired smartphone running the Garmin Link app. There are settings to have it automatically route you around traffic, or to give you options and let you choose which route you want to take. Seems to work pretty well, in my limited use of it riding my new-to-me bike home to San Marcos from Long Beach.

Evening Bill

In Base Camp you can change the speeds it uses to figure times.

Double left click the route, then click (edit profile), then click (activity profile) then under speed click customize. (the speed settings that you pick will hold for that profile in all routes)

You can set different speeds for different profiles or custom profiles. (very tunable & pretty darn accurate)

I've been using BaseCamp for a long time. I've created many, many routes in BaseCamp, and in MapSource before it. I still find Google Maps much quicker and easier to use for route planning, especially when I've got several options I want to compare. I never find I've got the wrong tool selected for what I want to do, the search functions are FAR better, I can get to street view immediately and without a subscription, it's much easier to drag routes onto the roads you want them on and to add intermediate destinations, and Google's time estimates are far more accurate than Garmin's, who seems to assume you'll be travelling at the speed limit for every inch of your route.

There's nothing you can do with Google Maps that you can't do with BaseCamp, except share a route by sharing a URL, but BaseCamp makes every single operation slower and more cumbersome. In software parlance, Google Maps' User Interface (UI) is elegant, and BaseCamp's UI is kludgery. I wonder how many of us who prefer to use GM are Mac users vs. Windows users. BaseCamp has a very Windows/Microsoft feel, even on a Mac, and maybe that's the problem...

I'm strictly Windows and find I also find BaseCamp to be "kludgery". I'm only using it for my handheld Garmin unit for ATV routes, but I need to go back to tutorial-type web links every time I need to do anything. I don't have the patience to spend hours learning something that seems to have been developed by people who did not consider the average end user.

Afternoon Rex R

TRAFFIC CONDITIONS: in real time, I find google maps traffic more accurate than the traffic reports on my nuvi and for future travel, google maps provides reasonable estimates of the traffic throughout the day and appropriate routes and alternates-- That is more device dependent, not mapping or routing dependent. I think it is directly related to the relative merits of Google over Basecamp, because BC does not have traffic info at all. Therefore, advantage: Google!--I guess I'm still missing something here as you can't use Google on the GPS & nether Google or NT mapping has real time traffic on a GPS.

My reference to Nuvi was admittedly tangential (aka off-topic) to the OP's topic, which is: Basecamp and Google maps. However, my comment re traffic puts the advantage to Google. When plotting routes and considering alternatives, having the opportunity to view GM's historically based travel time estimates is an advantage over BC. Additionally, at times I plot a route right before heading out (whether bike or cage) and the real time traffic data is a big plus in that situation.

Full disclosure: I never use GM to transfer routes to gps. (But i wish I knew how to.)

Afternoon Rex R

WAYPOINTS: sometimes we create routes based on waypoints that may not exist in Basecamp (ie curviest route to Joe's Bar and Grill)[/color]--This is actually easier & faster , & more accurate when building a route in BaseCamp. I don't see how this can be so when I am specifically referring to waypoints that do not exist in BC (ie any new location: store, restaurant, etc.)--You need to manually add waypoints in either Google or B/C. If you are referring to POI (Points Of Interest) you can't transfer those directly from Google to your GPS so if not in B/C & you don't manually add them, then I don't see how it matters what mapping that you start with.

When I want to create a route to Joe's Bar and Grill, which a google search easily finds, I can quickly create a route in GM. If, on the other hand, I start looking in BC for Joe's, after my BC search fails (because Joe just opened his place a few weeks ago, and therefore it is not in BC), I have to google the address or intersection and return to BC to search with those parameters.

And I could be wrong on this point, but as I recall, the BC search function is almost as user-unfriendly as MapSource. Google searches, otoh, are always easy.

Afternoon Rex R

(CAN'T THINK OF AN APPROPRIATE TITLE NAME): it's nice to be able to use Street View while creating a route to select or avoid whatever kind of street/road you prefer.--BaseCamp can do this but you will need to subscribe to Birds Eye. BaseCamp also has many options in mapping so you can use routable Toppo maps to build a super route based on terrain & contour lines. Sounds like the advantage again goes to Google, because the options you offer, sir, require paid subscription or utilizing a 3rd party application or data to perform a function easily available in GMaps.-- You can't transfer it to or through B/C so I don't see the advantage. If you just want to look at the terrain along the route then just run through Google Earth (simple click transfer)

Maybe you want to walk us thru that one too? (Sorry, but you offered: :read:

"There are a lot of long time BaseCamp users on this site so if you tell us what in BaseCamp that you are having issues with we might have some nice easy-to-use shortcuts that can make BaseCamp life easier & smoother for you."

"There are a lot of long time BaseCamp users on this site so if you tell us what in BaseCamp that you are having issues with we might have some nice easy-to-use shortcuts that can make BaseCamp life easier & smoother for you."

Evening Rex R

With BaseCamp open just, click & highlight the route you want to view, then click on (view) at top of BaseCamp, then when VIEW opens select Google Earth, then click on (selected item).

Note: you need Goggle Earth installed on your computer for it to work.

Afternoon Rex R

On a separate note, my Zumo (660lm) only has 50+ megs of built in storage free but more than a dozen gigs free on the installed card. It won't let me save more than a handful of routes, forcing me to continually delete existing routes to import (or re-import) new and previously downloaded routes. Any suggestions on freeing up space on the built-in memory, or better yet saving routes onto the memory card? Any way to create folders to better organize my saved routes? (ie travel to/from work, to/from customers, short rides, day-long rides, overnighters, etc etc.)--That is easy, just export the route or routes directly from MapSource or BaseCamp directly to the device SD card then ONLY import the one(s) that you are currently using. Then delete those routes from main storage when done (they will still be on the SD card for future re-import & future usage. Thats precisely what I've been doing. I'm looking for an easier method, to avoid constantly re-importing routes-- Unless you have a LOT of junk on your GPS main drive then you should be able to store a LOT or routes on your GPS main drive. If you have Music or other stuff on the main GPS drive then transfer those to the SD card. A route sent to a Garmin is just points so is not very large.

To each his own. I like to have the routes imported and available (like older models allowed) so I when I am out riding and decide to change my plans, I can (pull off the road for a minute and) quickly preview routes and modify an existing route to fit my mood at the moment. Deleting and re-importing routes is slower and needlessly complicated, especially in light of the fact that 12 year old Garmins were capable of that simple function (to store many routes without needing to wait to re-import them).--I'm still missing something here as your device should easily be able to store on the main drive enough routes for normal riding in an area. You don't need 20 Florida routes on the main drive if you are riding in Nebraska. Just how many routes CAN you store on your main drive now? If you need more main drive room then make a copy of your GPS drive (you should anyhow in case of a problem) then delete all the voices that you don't use, delete all the vehicles (pointers)that you don't use, delete any pictures that you don't use, etc.

I do not have access to my Zumo right now. I'll double-check my info later. But I'm pretty sure I only have a dozen (plus or minus) routes saved and that I loaded my music onto the card (that's what I got it for). And I'm still at a point where everytime I add a route, I must first delete an existing route. I thought the routes were small, and was surprised that even with 50+ megs free, I still need to free up space by deleting routes.

In contrast to your clean slate, I like to have multiple, favored routes quickly available. So if I start out planning to ride from A to B to C to D, and when I get to B decide to throw in E and F and drop C, or add G and H before I even arrive at A, I can pull over safely, select a circuitous route in the vicinity that I enjoy, maybe enter a quick detour, and get right back on the road.

When I have time to play around with it, I'll make a copy and delete languages. Thanks. I don't think I need sanskrit or tagalog. But pictures? What pictures? Unless they came pre-loaded...

Edited by Rex R
LittleBriar

Looks like I've been missing out on all the fun today. Been busy today.

My 2 cents...

I have nothing against BaseCamp. I've struggled with it but watched a ton of excellent video tutorials and I'm now pretty comfortable with it. Once you figure out shaping points and learn to zoom in on them to make sure they are where you expect, you will not have a problem with route recalculations. The ability to create the route, then very easily transfer to your device is great. Once I got the hang of the file system, it's nice to be able to store routes I've used and save them for later.

Now for GM's...

First and foremost, Google is always up to date. It's great for finding construction zones and detours. Where I live, there always construction on the highways in the summer. As others have stated, it is great for searching for places that BaseCamp just doesn't know about. Satellite view is free, as others have said. I also find the user interface on my desktop to be very friendly and intuitive. Intuitive is not a word you would use for BaseCampt. Dragging the cursor to alter routes seems to work better for me in GM.

I use and like both of them and find the best approach is to default to BaseCamp but switch to GM's if I'm struggling find a place or I suspect detours or construction.

I don't feel strongly about one or the other. Certainly not enough to argue about it.

Bill_Walker
Evening Bill

In Base Camp you can change the speeds it uses to figure times.

Double left click the route, then click (edit profile), then click (activity profile) then under speed click customize. (the speed settings that you pick will hold for that profile in all routes)

You can set different speeds for different profiles or custom profiles. (very tunable & pretty darn accurate)

Is any of the choices "the time taken by historical traffic along this route"? Because Google has that information, and I'm not convinced BaseCamp does.

And why would I want to set that on a route by route basis anyway?

Is any of the choices "the time taken by historical traffic along this route"? Because Google has that information, and I'm not convinced BaseCamp does.

Morning Bill

I guess I must be a real luddite on this as I am still drawing a blank on how the heck you are getting the Google map points & routing time information into your GPS.

If it goes in through BaseCamp then BaseCamp should assign it's road speed & travel time information to the imported route (what am I missing?)

Evening Rex R

With BaseCamp open just, click & highlight the route you want to view, then click on (view) at top of BaseCamp, then when VIEW opens select Google Earth, then click on (selected item).

Note: you need Goggle Earth installed on your computer for it to work.

Morning Rex

Well I lied to you in the above information---

I guess I should have tried the BaseCamp to Google earth before posting the above direct click to Google Earth.(it used to work great)

I haven't used BaseCamp to Google earth in a while (I usually use Birdseye) so this morning I tried it & it didn't work. (WELL!, there have been some changes)

A little Garmin research brings the below up-- so to run a route through Google earth takes a different approach now.

https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-GB/faq/content/go8phBi0Lt6nSjgcTpm4r8

So new directions for BaseCamp route to Goggle Earth=

You need Goggle earth on your computer (this is kind of a no brainier)

Just highlight route that you want to view in Goggle earth, THEN click (FILE), then click (EXPORT), then click (export selection), then pick export location (I usually export to desktop), then use (save as type) dropdown box & select KML 2.2 document, v2 (kml), then click (save).

That should put a ready-to-open Goggle Earth file on your desktop-- so just double left click that saved KML file & it should open in Goggle earth.

Edited by dirtrider
Bill_Walker

Morning Bill

I guess I must be a real luddite on this as I am still drawing a blank on how the heck you are getting the Google map points & routing time information into your GPS.

If it goes in through BaseCamp then BaseCamp should assign it's road speed & travel time information to the imported route (what am I missing?)

I don't get the travel time information into the GPS. I use it for planning the route. How far am I going to go today? Hmm, that route is 12 hours of driving time, not including stops. I guess I won't do that in one day. Stuff like that. And with GM, the info is just there.

I hesitate to post about Garmin/Basecamp issues since I've only had my 590 a few months, but I had similar Earth problems. Earth was on my PC, but generated an error from Basecamp. Re-installing Earth did not help. The methods I found in this Garmin forum thread worked to allow viewing in Earth without the need for exporting the file and opening it separately. YMMV. I've not used that feature much since I find it cumbersome compared to Tyre or Google Maps, which let you modify your route in satellite mode, instead of just viewing the route.

I am finding the Garmin/Basecamp combo to be the most frustrating software I've ever encountered. Sunday, I made a new route in Basecamp for yesterday's ride. Loaded it into the GPS. (Same maps and riding modes, no avoidances) Routes don't match. Deleted it from the SD card and internal memory. Doubled via points in Basecamp. Repeated twice. Finally, a close examination of the route calculated on the GPS showed it exactly matching the one I had on the PC. Monday, things go well for a while, until I am told to turn right "Off-road". :S I told the GPS to skip the next via point, and remained on the state route I'd planned. This morning, I compared my track (Active Log) to the calculated route on the GPS and found that it was trying to route me a half mile down a dead end lane with only one farm at the end for a U-turn. The Basecamp version has no waypoint or via point anywhere nearby.

Later, the GPS routed me off a state route onto a narrow township road that ran roughly parallel, and then rejoined the state route several miles later. The route in internal memory still shows I should never have been directed off the highway.

The unnecessary U-turn thing has been an ongoing problem. I seem to get at least one on every route. The classic one was the time I was directed straight through an intersection of two state routes, told to U-turn after thirty feet, turn left, U-turn after thirty feet and then go straight. Three trips through the intersection and two U-turns instead of a single left turn to achieve the same result.

:dopeslap:

I've only used the 590 for short day trips so far. I'm headed for Salt Lake in a couple weeks and not feeling real confident about my GPS. If I'm not heard from by August, thank Garmin. I'll probably be riding up and down a road in Kansas.

I am finding the Garmin/Basecamp combo to be the most frustrating software I've ever encountered. Sunday, I made a new route in Basecamp for yesterday's ride. Loaded it into the GPS. (Same maps and riding modes, no avoidances) Routes don't match. Deleted it from the SD card and internal memory. Doubled via points in Basecamp. Repeated twice. Finally, a close examination of the route calculated on the GPS showed it exactly matching the one I had on the PC. Monday, things go well for a while, until I am told to turn right "Off-road". :S I told the GPS to skip the next via point, and remained on the state route I'd planned. This morning, I compared my track (Active Log) to the calculated route on the GPS and found that it was trying to route me a half mile down a dead end lane with only one farm at the end for a U-turn. The Basecamp version has no waypoint or via point anywhere nearby.

Later, the GPS routed me off a state route onto a narrow township road that ran roughly parallel, and then rejoined the state route several miles later. The route in internal memory still shows I should never have been directed off the highway.

The unnecessary U-turn thing has been an ongoing problem. I seem to get at least one on every route. The classic one was the time I was directed straight through an intersection of two state routes, told to U-turn after thirty feet, turn left, U-turn after thirty feet and then go straight. Three trips through the intersection and two U-turns instead of a single left turn to achieve the same result.

:dopeslap:

I've only used the 590 for short day trips so far. I'm headed for Salt Lake in a couple weeks and not feeling real confident about my GPS. If I'm not heard from by August, thank Garmin. I'll probably be riding up and down a road in Kansas.

Afternoon Larry

That is the sign of a very unstable route. The major reason for that to happen is putting a via point or shaping point on the wrong side of the road. Next would be inadvertently placing a point off the travel route.

Or if you placed an actual WayPoint then missed it.

You also have to make absolutely sure that you have the correct avoidances set in your GPS (some are easy to miss)

(IF) you are absolutely sure (positively sure) that your route has correctly placed via or shaping points (looking at the route at the 800' or 300' zoom level & the points are in the correct placement order, that there were no missed Waypoints, then you have a definite routing issue.

When it comes to the Zumo series some of the Zumo's will not play nice with a BaseCamp route (Garmin tec bulletin on that). So go ahead & make your route in BaseCamp then highlight & copy, then paste into MapSource.

Once in MapSource re-calculate it there then use MapSource to transfer to your device (I find that on CORRECTLY MADE routes using MapSource to re-calculate & transfer to device clears up 99% of the strange routing problems.

Seeing as you are new to this you probably should pre-run the routes in BaseCamp (playback) before using as that will usually show a problem with routing errors.

What I usually do on routes that I use for a group ride or on a routes that ABSOLUTELY MUST be correct to the N'th degree I--

First make a track of the route that I make in BaseCamp, then change that track color to a bright red or bright green. (or something different than you use for route colors)

Then transfer the ROUTE to my Garmin device & import it into that device.

Now turn the device OFF then re-boot it.

NOW, I simply import that route back into BaseCamp & overlay it on that initial track that I made. It BETTER lay imposed on that track EXACTLY. If it didn't come back into BaseCamp looking the exact same as that track then either I made an error in making the route, or the mapping in the Device doesn't match the computer BaseCamp map, or one of the maps involved (B/C) or device is corrupt. (or I need to use MapSource to re-calculate the route & send to a Zumo device).

Edited by dirtrider

I noticed the same thing...a short detour on the motorcycle although the highlighted route is correct and as I planned it.

However, when I drove the same route in the car (I have a 660 and use the same one for both car and bike) I did not get directed to take the detour.

I haven't figured out why yet, but it must have something to do with the motorcycle mount.

I noticed the same thing...a short detour on the motorcycle although the highlighted route is correct and as I planned it.

However, when I drove the same route in the car (I have a 660 and use the same one for both car and bike) I did not get directed to take the detour.

I haven't figured out why yet, but it must have something to do with the motorcycle mount.

Evening basilr

The mount shouldn't have any effect on the route unless motorcycle vibration or the mount somehow put pressure on GPS to make it change.

I have had my old Montana do strange things in the sun when the screen got real hot & warped enough to make the touch screen think I was touching it (a new thinner screen protector & a screen recalibration hot stopped the problem)

I'm not sure what it is,but if I redo the route,the same thing in the same place happens....motorcycle says "detour", car ignores that and just stays on the main route.

I'm just saying, try it and see if it happens to you too. If it does, it probably isn't Basecamp, it's some unknown gremlin.

LittleBriar

The problems with U-turns and similar problems frequently are via points that aren't exactly on the route. An easy way to search for via points that aren't where you think is to use the route detail with "Center Map" option selected. You'll see a close up of the via point on your route. If it's on the wrong side of the highway or slightly off the road you'll see it here. Then just use the "move point" option.

basecamp%20%28Small%29.jpg

6710.jpg.4d53e1ec527c02ffc9dc98f4d2953eb8.jpg

Bill_Walker
The mount shouldn't have any effect on the route unless motorcycle vibration or the mount somehow put pressure on GPS to make it change.

On later Zumos, at least, the unit switches from "motorcycle" mode to "car" mode depending on which mount its in. Why that should affect routing in this manner, I have no idea, but perhaps it's a bug. I could understand it affecting whether you get routed to dedicated HOV lanes.

I don't understand the time problem. Using google, the time is still just an estimate. Real time, as you are riding is all that counts. I know about how many miles I can cover in an hour. If road conditions change then I will adapt. The Nav V and VI have been good about re-routing around traffic problems. I don't want to be messing with my phone while riding. I have ridden with people who do and I don't like riding behind them.

How do you "extend" a route in this %*&)@#% program?

I can split a route, insert a section, move a point, but not "extend" a route.

:computer::mad:

Edit: I found a wworkaround. Create a new route that begins where the first route ends. Then "join" the routes.

Would still appreciate advice on how to "extend", if BC permits that (simple) function

Edited by Rex R

How does one split a route? I use it a lot and like it but frequently find myself creating one long route rather than several day long routes.

Edited by bwpsg42
How does one split a route? I use it a lot and like it but frequently find myself creating one long route rather than several day long routes.

Morning bwpsg42

Make sure that you have your tools turned on & showing (or go to "tools" dropdown list) --then just find the DEVIDE tool (looks like a scissors)-- then with the route that you want to split highlighted just click the DEVIDE tool on the spot that you want to split the route (it won't always spit at the exact spot that you want but should be close)

Then be sure to highlight the route or routes in the L/H box & rename so you know what route is what when you transfer it to your device.

How do you "extend" a route in this %*&)@#% program?

I can split a route, insert a section, move a point, but not "extend" a route.

:computer::mad:

Edit: I found a wworkaround. Create a new route that begins where the first route ends. Then "join" the routes.

Would still appreciate advice on how to "extend", if BC permits that (simple) function

Morning Rex

The best way is to use your workaround & make a 2nd route then JOIN, then go back with the eraser tool & remove the unwanted point.

You CAN extend a route but it makes continuing the route for a long distance more difficult so I usually only use the extend method if I'm going to add a short end section or two (let's say you made a route to a downtown center then wanted to extend it to a nearby restaurant, that would be a good place for a simple extension)--If you are gong to make a long complex route extension then I usually make a 2nd route then just join them , then delete the unwanted route section.

To make a route extension-- use the INSERT TOOL (looks like a pencil), then with route highlighted move the insert tool around at end of route UNTIL the line extending back to the last point disappears & a dark circle appears (the line from last point MUST be gone or it will assume that you want to move the route not extend it).

Once the circle appears then do a left click & you should be able to extend the route.

One thing that you need to know when extending a route: That is how to undo a move or undo the last few moves. If things don't go right, or you move something to a spot that your didn't intend, or you get a point off the road, or you just don't like what you did then simply-- LEFT CLICK the edit button Top of BaseCamp program, then left click UNDO. You can undo only the last move if you want or keep clicking to undo the last X number of moves (this is a handy trick that really makes repairing mistakes easy) -- (Maybe you already knew this but others read these threads)

DR, thanks for the suggestions. Most I've found and used before, but the idea of using Basecamp to re-examine the zumo-calculated route is a good one.

I looked again at the spot where I was routed down a private lane.

34767440844_884212cb78_b.jpg

Zumo route in magenta, Basecamp route in blue. Basecamp follows the road while the zumo route stops following the road and starts going in straight lines, and then follows the curves again. Probably ten miles between via points, because the road stayed the same. Looking at the zumo route in Basecamp would have shown the problem clearly.

I starting checking the routes I've created for the Utah trip and found problems with the zumo-calculated routes.

34767441514_d557f4722d_b.jpg

Travelling west, I'm routed off the interstate and back in the opposite direction, only to reverse course again, across the median.

Further down the road, the route exits I-72, heads south, then east, then north and re-enters I-72. Problem being that there is no interchange at that point, only an overpass.

No via points were set near either anomaly.

So I think I know what to look for and how to correct it by adding points in Basecamp and re-loading into the zumo.

I've been able to reduce the amount of editing by planning the route with Furkot, which will add a user-selected number of via points to help keep the route where it belongs. The routes still need a few points added at critical spots once the zumo has had it's way with them.

I'm still not happy with Garmin allowing the gps and Basecamp to reach different solutions to the same problem with the same map & routing method, no avoidances.

So, plan the route, connect the zumo, transfer route to zumo, import the route, reboot the zumo, reconnect to the PC, zoom way in and scroll to check for anomalies, add more via points, transfer to zumo, import again, reboot again, re-examine for errors. :rofl:

I had problems using my old phone as a gps with CoPilot, mainly maintaining power and difficulty seeing the screen in direct sun, but it had the ability to create and edit a route on the phone with a fingertip by simply dragging the route to the road I wanted.

I miss that.

Morning lkraus

I looked again at the spot where I was routed down a private lane.-- I have seen that before & it is usually caused by one of two possibilities. Either a misplaced shaping point (possibly hidden) or an avoidance set with the NT map having a break in the road structure (ie thinks the road turns to gravel even though the map doesn't show it)-- If using a Garmin Zumo then sending route to MapSource, re-calculating, then uploading to GPS usually eliminate most of these.

Zumo route in magenta, Basecamp route in blue. Basecamp follows the road while the zumo route stops following the road and starts going in straight lines, and then follows the curves again. Probably ten miles between via points, because the road stayed the same. Looking at the zumo route in Basecamp would have shown the problem clearly.--This can happen once in a great while. Usually due to mapping errors so Zumo doesn't see the road as routable in that area. (or could be a time stamp issue) --Main reason that I ALWAYS re-import the imported route from a Zumo back into BaseCamp then go to 300' scale & run it for a quick check (I won't go the trouble on a local route or if I don't care if my route runs exactly as designed but sure will on longer routes or on routes that I need to run exactly as planned.

I starting checking the routes I've created for the Utah trip and found problems with the zumo-calculated routes. --THAT is why checking is always a good idea if you want an exact route.

Travelling west, I'm routed off the interstate and back in the opposite direction, only to reverse course again, across the median. --This is usually caused by a couple of things. Main reason is a placement of a shaping point (could be hidden) on the wrong side of the road (or for some reason the GPS thinks that you rode past a way-point). I almost never see this when using Open Street maps so I think it might be an NT mapping problem. The other thing that causes it is avoidances set to avoid hi-ways so that it tries to route you off to back roads then sees your route go on the hi-way so then reroutes you back to the hi-way. (my cure for this is make a custom ACTIVITY PROFILE that I name NONE, this (none) activity profile contains absolutely no avoidances (not even bike paths). Don't confuse this with B/C pre-set avoidance profile of "none" (looks like a bowling pin). I do use the bowling pin a LOT on my routes but that has to be set for each route (actually clicked on then set for each route)

Further down the road, the route exits I-72, heads south, then east, then north and re-enters I-72. Problem being that there is no interchange at that point, only an overpass.-- I haven't seen this often but the few times I have the B/C map is older than then GPS map so one or the other maps don't match.

No via points were set near either anomaly.--You mean that no intentional via points were set?

So I think I know what to look for and how to correct it by adding points in Basecamp and re-loading into the zumo. --Yes this a good. Again you might try copying route from B/C, then pasting into MapSource, then recalculating, THEN sending to the GPS (I have found this to cure a LOT of Zumo related issues.

I'm still not happy with Garmin allowing the gps and Basecamp to reach different solutions to the same problem with the same map & routing method, no avoidances. --Again you might try copying route from B/C, then pasting into MapSource, then recalculating, THEN sending to the GPS (I have found this to cure a LOT of Zumo related issues. (for some reason the Zumo doesn't always play nice with BaseCamp produced routing)-- (FWIW I never have these issues when using B/C & transferring to my 60csx or my Montana)

So, plan the route, connect the zumo, transfer route to zumo, import the route, reboot the zumo, reconnect to the PC, zoom way in and scroll to check for anomalies, add more via points, transfer to zumo, import again, reboot again, re-examine for errors. Or maybe try copying route from B/C, then pasting into MapSource, then recalculating, THEN sending to the GPS (I have found this to cure a LOT of Zumo related issues.

Added:-- I forgot to mention that (IF) you are/were using parts of someone else's pre-made route, or even using an old route that you made in the past on an older map set then problems like you mention above are WAY more prevalent. I very seldom use someone else's route, but instead change the color of that route, then make own NEW route using the furnished route as a guide. (I also don't save my old routes to use later as there is a good chance that I will have a later map set in my GPS when I go to reuse the old saved route). Instead I save my old routes as TRACKS as tracks are tracks are tracks no matter the map set or program. I then use those saved tracks to make a new route.

One thing about Zumos's & BaseCamp, I seem to learn something new every time I make & use a complicated route in B/C then try to get a Zumo to properly use it.

Nothing more aggravating than leading an experienced high speed ride group then coming up to an intersection with 3 ways to go & having the Zumo having routing arrows pointing in 5 directions (I have had that happen long ago) --That led me to the idea of bringing the route back into B/C from the GPS , going to the 300' zoom & going over the route with a fine toothed comb. (since doing this about the only routing issues I have is riding faster than the GPS can update & missing a turn)

Edited by dirtrider

Point to the location where you would like to split the route. Right-click. Select "split route here" from the pop-up menu.

... If you don't hit a way point when on the road, the evil Garmin mistress insists you turn around and get to that way point...

The Nav V has a function that allows you to skip a waypoint (the next waypoint). You can also add an icon (you can add two icons of your choosing) to the map screen that gives you quick, and easy, access to that function.

Mike Sawatske

Well, well I am not going mad. I have been having all the problems described in these posts using a Garmin 350LM and Basecamp and Google maps. I eventually concluded that the incompatability with GM and BC interchanges were the different maps, which could be overcome by the very detailed methods outlined by contributors to this discussion. I also have been using a program called Tyre (which uses Google maps), with similar results of the Zumo recalculating to suit itself. I laboriously locate points exactly where I want them, check the loaded track in the GPS by visually playing the track through, and correct as needed and still sometimes when out riding Mr Garmin decides it will recalculate and messes it all up. That is easily overcome by restarting the track and picking the next point expected in the track, but it is inconvenient.

I'll try the only method suggested which I haven't yet - using Open Street maps.

A reassuring discussion which restores some faith in my own abilities - I wasn't stuffing up on my own, there's gremlins afoot!

Mike

I'm getting a better route by starting my routes at furkot.com. As exported from Furkot, they look very good in Basecamp, because Furkot places lots of via points and waypoints automatically. I still have issues with the zumo import introducing errors by recalculating the route, but I can eventually fix those by re-loading it into Basecamp.

I've used Tyre a lot, and it worked well with my Android GPS apps. Unfortunately, it does not provide the un-announced via points that I want to use with the zumo, and requires manually placing waypoints to keep the route where you want it. Furkot uses the same Google maps with drag-and-drop route changes and places waypoints and via points automatically. The interface is a little odd, but worth the effort to learn.

I found a Basecamp setting (under Edit->Options->Device Transfer) called "Always match route to the map on my device when transferring". Supposedly turning this off prevents the zumo from recalculating the route on import. I have not experimented with this yet, but I think this could work, as the maps I use already match. Of course, what I assume and what Garmin assumes are two different things. And what happens if the initial transfer goes well, but the route is recalculated because I skip a via point? It will be awhile before I experiment with this, as my routes to Utah are finally done and my wife thinks (correctly) that I've spent waayyy too much time on this already.

I'm getting a better route by starting my routes at furkot.com. As exported from Furkot, they look very good in Basecamp, because Furkot places lots of via points and waypoints automatically. I still have issues with the zumo import introducing errors by recalculating the route, but I can eventually fix those by re-loading it into Basecamp.

Morning Larry

This could be one of the reason that your route changes-- the Zumo can only handle only handle a fixed number of points (those can be waypoints, via points, feature points. If you have too many points on a route then the Zumo will usually do one of two things. Automatically split the route into 2 or 3 routes or truncate the route by removing points ( unfortunately you don't have control of what points it removes)

If you don't want your via points announced (or flags shown) then try putting the via points RIGHT ON (at) the intersections, that will usually make them invisible. You can also turn off announce on some points in BaseCamp but that doesn't always work.