IGNORED

Rocky Mountain High

TEWKS

This afternoon I ran the route in reverse, (Potash to Shafer) you know, just in case I missed something. ;) Highest temp I saw was 104*. I came up on a mother mountain goat and her kid. Mom was limping :( but continued up the trail for about a 1/4 mile. I snapped a few pics but only on my regular camera, so nothing now.

Back to Colorado tomorrow with No Particular Place To Go. Hmm... :whistle:

Pat

Bill_Walker

Wow! From 25 degrees to 104 degrees in the same trip, in the same state! That's an impressive range.

roadscholar

I did a loop from Albuquerque to Vail and back in June 2000, it was 103 in Montrose and about 28 on Red Mtn Pass within a 45 min span. Since spending more time in Co. I realize it isn't that uncommon especially in June.

[/quote=TEWKS] Back to Colorado tomorrow with No Particular Place To Go. Hmm... :whistle:

Well in case that's a hint here's some more dirt you can ride : ) I don't know where you're starting from but here's two different routes with options depending on how much time you have.

They're both easy yet scenic dirt with some pavement connectors. It's a toss up which is better, they both have good stuff but I'd probably lean toward the northern one. Only because the loop N. of C.B. is really nice. It's all big bike friendly exxcept maybe Cumberland Pass north of Pitkin (keeps getting rockier) but no worse than Ophir and probly not as bad.

edit, the start for both is from US550 just south of G.J.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wK4BEWthkLtglwwbctfQGWp-xg8&usp=sharing

Edited by roadscholar
Wow! From 25 degrees to 104 degrees in the same trip, in the same state! That's an impressive range.

Yes, all in the same garment, my twenty one year old Stitch! :thumbsup: Quick, somebody call Andy Goldfine! :grin: The one O four was in Moab.

Bill F., yes was asking and again, much appreciated! :wave:

Pat

roadscholar

Oops after checking your itinerary, looks like you were heading south from Moab so here's something you might want to add. Haven't ridden 68L south of T-ride but hey it looks good : )

Then the dirt road from Ouray to Ridgeway and Owl Creek Pass to Cimarron Rd. to 50. I'm runnin' out of stuff : )

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kRdbLqCoFx8crnf_utCHeuP08ZM&usp=sharing

Edited by roadscholar

It's been great Larry, funny I saw a loaded up 1290 with a Texas plate at the Gateway the morning we left. Thought you were going to join us for a minute! ;)

Bill, any mild shortcuts from Silverton to Creede?

Pat

roadscholar

Cinnamon pass or Stony pass, neither are mild. 'You' could probably manage Stony but it gets pretty rocky on the east side and there's a fairly significant water crossing. With those bikes I'd go around.

We are back in Salida tonight. The hotel we thought was in Creede was actually in South Fork. It wasn't as advertised and like I mentioned today, it's time to head back. Great trip and your road assistance helped to make it so! Thanks Bill! :thumbsup:

A few more pics when I get home, and hopefully the Ophir brown shorts run! :grin:

Pat

roadscholar

That's bordering on iron butt material but I can certainly appreciate heading for the barn syndrome. Glad I could give ya'll a few ideas but also sorry there wasn't more time to explore some of the others. Although I've found that with Colorado, leaving stuff on the table is good, gives you a reason to keep coming back. :thumbsup:

Although I've found that with Colorado, leaving stuff on the table is good, gives you a reason to keep coming back. :thumbsup:

+1

Look'n forward to your photos Pat!

:burnout:

Although I've found that with Colorado, leaving stuff on the table is good, gives you a reason to keep coming back. :thumbsup:

+2 ! :thumbsup:

Yeah, once we got motoring east it was game on! :grin: Actually, stopped at Arthur Bryant's for a BBQ lunch and then in St. Louis at Ted Drewes for frozen Custard. Want to see a grown man cry, at least 150 people were in line waiting, we drove by. :cry:

Pat

Ummmmm.... that's in Celsius, right? :)

Shawn, but It was a dry 27 degrees F. :grin:

Well I just watched the Vid on Ophir and it didn't quite happen like I described earlier but still interesting. I'll need to free up some memory before I can convert it for YouTube. For that I will need some assistance.

Pat

Ok, if the YouTube upload doesn't crash on me I will have the Ophir vid tonight or tomorrow morning. It's long, but, I have a speaking role :read: via my helmet's intercom. It's mostly coaxing and giving bad advice to my buddy descending the pass. :grin:

I shall return. :lurk:

Pat

roadscholar

Nice job Pat, you're a good coach. :thumbsup:

Couple observations, if you remember I thought it was easier going up because down it's just steep enough in places to get you going a little faster than you want, takes a fine touch modulating the front and rear. Def more scenic going down tho. Going up it's just throttle, and gravity's working with you. It looks rockier too, but I think all the passes are slowly deteriorating with the traffic.

Don't forget to 720 it for a clearer picture! :thumbsup:

Pat

Meh,...what's the biggie,....I'da done that on the RT with a bald back tire ;)

Nice vid Pat!!! :thumbsup:

Damn Pat, I have been over it 3 times in the last few years and I do not remember as many small drop offs as in the beginning of the video. I am glad I didn't join you this time on my big bike. :dopeslap: I will probably be back on it in August on the 350.

Oh, just heard, Yamaha is stopping production of the WR250.

Thanks guys!

Bill, "coach" ? I was thinking more on the lines of an instigator. Sound like somebody I know? ;):grin:

Richard, I have no doubt you'd give it a run on the RT. :thumbsup:

Mike, Da Bears was good! :rofl:

Doug, it surprised me even from just last July. I don't think the vid actually captured how rough it was in spots. The bike choice most likely played a big difference in perception also. So, you're saying my WR's value is now on the increase? :thumbsup::grin:

Pat

A few more from Moab. If you ever find yourself in the area, Shafer Canyon & Potash Roads in Canyonlands were outstanding! :thumbsup:

These were taken on my return loop in the afternoon where temps reached 104* midway through the ride. :P

Balancing Rock on Potash Rd.

IMG_9155_zpsmid5raah.jpg

The Colorado River.

IMG_9161_zpsc2po2ope.jpg

A Mountain Goat and her kid. She kept yelling for me to keep baaaack! :dontknow:

IMG_9165_zpsodaqxiyp.jpg

IMG_9167_zps7zv3km21.jpg

Pat

lawnchairboy

I would never bring a big bike over any of the other ones either. Ophir is the only one that is big bike friendly. Great pics Pat, thanks.

Glad you liked them guys! It's actually just beginning to sink in what an epic ride this turned out to be. The difference in terrain in neighboring states was just incredible! :thumbsup:

I may have my second production :grin: up this evening. Shafer & Potash Rd in Canyonlands NP. It's another long one, sorry! :facepalm:

Pat

roadscholar

Great job with the video Pat. What an amazing landscape, it didn't soak in completely when doing it but watching the footage really brings it home. When I first pulled up to the edge and saw the road way down in the valley it took a minute or so to realize that's where we were going : ) I'd imagine it's about as close as you can get to riding a motorcycle down into the Grand Canyon, at least in this country.

Marty, thanks again for taking the time, glad you enjoyed it! :thumbsup:

Bill, I thought the same thing, This Looks Just Like The Grand Canyon or as close as I'll ever get on a motorcycle. :read:

For a brief second I thought, hey maybe Bill hasn't seen these two roads yet. :whistle: I should know better by now! :dopeslap::grin:

Pat

Both videos were super cool and only make waiting until I move out West even seem that much longer. Hopefully your riding buddy gained some more confidence in his off tarmac riding abilities.

roadscholar

For a brief second I thought, hey maybe Bill hasn't seen these two roads yet. :whistle: I should know better by now! :dopeslap::grin:

Pat

When we did it a couple years ago Pat we were able to park at the visitor center (small bikes, small trailer, small car) : ) and started the White Rim from there, so missed Potash. And wouldn't have had enough fuel to go much further, I probably need to go back. :)

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=920423&page=9

Mike, I think Mitch gained a bunch of confidence on this trip. He did alright being on a Tiger 800 that was loaded for travel. (over Ophir anyway) :thumbsup:

I should have remembered that post because I commented on it. Now that I think of it, I believe the pics may have been buried somewhere in the upstairs mush. :grin:

Now the White Rim was our original route but we got spooked off by the temps & somebody mentioning it was a 12 hour loop. Least that's the excuse I'm running with! :grin:

Like you said, leave something on the table. :thumbsup:

Pat

roadscholar

We did it in under 6 hours but were moving right along although we did stop for lunch and several times for breaks or photo-ops. I wouldn't have wanted to do it in those temps, it was low 80's for us and about perfect. I think April/May or Sept/Oct would be a lot better.

Plus, I doubt you'd have had a problem but Mitch might've, there's a few places where a big bike could be a handful. A few buds from here did it this May and had a decent size water crossing as the Green River had overflowed it's banks.

And here's one of the climbs on the back side, it seems the 701's have a very long 1st gear and may have contributed to the drama. Close your ears at the end, Nick was a little excited and dropped a couple f-bombs.

Hey now that you mention water crossings, I think somebody said that White Rim was impassable because of that. The vids, youthful exuberance is fun to watch, or in that case, listen to! :grin::thumbsup:

Pat