IGNORED

Fromt wheel bearing going out?

Robert Mayrand

Robert Mayrand

I recently heard a whinning sound at some speed, thought it was just some other transmission whinning noise. But today I notice that the front wheel rim is covered with a really thin black film of grease. I suspect that the front bearing maybe is going out, and maybe the seal is leaking, but i'm not sure since i've never seen that. And again I just inspected it two weeks ago when I changed the tire, and i didn't expérience any grinding or hard spot. It was'nt smooth as silk but certainly nothing to worry about. So I thought to ask more experience rider about some advice.

Robert

If the grease is coming from the wheel bearing I would think you should be able to see the grease trail radiating down from the bearing. Do you see that?

Fork oil? Brake Fluid?

If it's the bearing on one or both sides, you might see the grease - there really isn't that much of it - or, you should be able to feel some play in the front wheel.

I replaced my front wheel bearings a few weeks ago. It wasn't that bad a job. There's a video from the Illinois BMW Riders that shows this, step by step - including an amusing moment where he leaves the spacer off to the side while he drives in the 2nd bearing and then the "Oh #$&@" moment occurs.

Robert Mayrand

Can fork leak really produce this effect?? Actually with the centrifugal force i can see no trail, but just a thin greasy film around the inside of the rim, and can't really see where it's coming from. will investigate a bit more toroughly in the morning, removing the front wheel. Any tips for seing if oil is missing from a fork or grease from a bearing??

Can fork leak really produce this effect?? Actually with the centrifugal force i can see no trail, but just a thin greasy film around the inside of the rim, and can't really see where it's coming from. will investigate a bit more toroughly in the morning, removing the front wheel. Any tips for seing if oil is missing from a fork or grease from a bearing??

Morning Robert Mayrand

With a leaking fork seal (leaking fork oil) you should see a trail of oil running down a fork leg as well as some oil blown back on the engine or bike plastic.

You might also look for a leaking oil cooler but that usually leaves oil on more than just the wheel rim.

Your problem seems like a lot of grease for a lightly leaking wheel bearing without a definite growly feeling wheel bearing. (just not much grease in a wheel bearing)

You didn't put a lot of extra grease in the speedometer drive gear housing area did you???

Any chance that greasy stuff is the remnants of the tire mounting lube that you used to mount the tire?

You might look it over very carefully then if nothing found clean the grease up so the wheel is squeaky clean, then ride the bike & watch for a return of the grease.

You might look it over very carefully then if nothing found clean the grease up so the wheel is squeaky clean, then ride the bike & watch for a return of the grease.

Do this.

Another possibility is that you might have (over)greased the axle when installing the wheel.

Robert Mayrand

I chamge both tire and this problem is only on the front wheel so not related to the tire change. No sign of leak from the fork, cooler or brakes. Axle only lightly grease and I forgot to grease the speedo drive on installation,so notthe problem. How smooth should the bearing be, i feel a bit of resistance like cold grease, but no grinding, and no rough spot, and the bike has just 35 000 miles. Should there be a sealon both side, i see the part list is listing just one, is that correct! I'll join a few pictures.

Thanks!

Rob

6707.jpg.d62517f840cace8371116f08d002c625.jpg

I chamge both tire and this problem is only on the front wheel so not related to the tire change. No sign of leak from the fork, cooler or brakes. Axle only lightly grease and I forgot to grease the speedo drive on installation,so notthe problem. How smooth should the bearing be, i feel a bit of resistance like cold grease, but no grinding, and no rough spot, and the bike has just 35 000 miles. Should there be a sealon both side, i see the part list is listing just one, is that correct! I'll join a few pictures.

Afternoon Rob

That seal you show is to seal the speedometer drive to hub, the actual bearings are sealed bearings.

Looks like too much grease somewhere somehow and what kind? Did you follow the wheel installation instructions and tighten the left fork bolt and then cycle the forks before tightening the right fork bolt? I like to remove the calipers and rotate the wheel to verify no funny sounds if a bearing is suspect. Much easier to hear. If there is any doubt, I shop around and change them with a good quality brand. Mike

Robert Mayrand

Thanks.

I think I will do the same and shop aroung for a new set. any reference number for aftermarket bearing and seal. I've seen it somewhere but can't find it anymore '98 r1100rt

For the 2 bearing and the seal bmw is aking 160$ ( canadian price with tax). The one i've seen on the net are cheap chineese one at 40$ the set. But woulfd like to get good quality Timken or other.

Robert

Go to BobsBMW.com and look up your bike on the microfiche. I think that you can get the bearing sizes for the front wheel and then go to a local bearing supply to see if they can match some or look online. I see one bearing size as 25x52x20.6 and the other is given as 20x47x14. They don't list the seal sizes. Hope this helps

Eckhard Grohe

ALL BALLS RACING has a kit for the 1100RT. Part # 25-1528. Available from FortNine parts here in Canada for 49.09 Can$. I have bought from Fortnine. Good prices and fast delivery. Located in St Laurent.

Edited by Eckhard Grohe
Robert Mayrand

Thanks Eckhard,

I've seen this kit on the web, this is the one I'm afraid is with cheap chineese bearing. Tried to find the information for the manufacturer of the bearing but it is nowhere to be found wich is not a good sign, but I agree with you about fortnine, formerly Canada motorcycle, I used them many times and always be satidfied of the customer service and swift shipping! Maybe I'll try the kit anyway.

Rob

How many miles on the front bearings? I replaced mine proactively @120,000 miles, and the guy who did the work said I was living on borrowed time.