IGNORED

UnRally XVI 2017 - UN-Photos

TyTass

OK Folks,

Let's start posting photos here of your time during the UN. Share with everyone, especially those who couldn't make it, places you visited and who you visited with.

Look at my neat=o exposed clutch . . :wave:

IMG_0199.jpg

At Wheelers kick'n tires IMG_0196.jpg

My Trunk, My Trunk . . IMG_0253.jpg

Jim and his friend {sorry - forgot name] - both from TN - Their first board event! :clap:

IMG_0242.jpg

Stop and smell the roses . . .{Chris, Barry, John and Matt]

IMG_0226.jpg

DON'T BLOCK THE DRIVE

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

Did you see that?!?! IMG_0223.jpg

I watch the bikes from here . . IMG_0205.jpg

I watch the people from here . . .

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

Fantastic photo reminiscent of many taken when there were no 1200's.

Thanks for posting and letting us "no-shows" enjoy the ride! :wave::clap:

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!

IMG_0288.jpg

We ran into this 16 year old riding his bicycle from Delaware to California solo.

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

Not such a bad view.... or crew....

IMG_0277.jpg

Check out the guy in the window

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0229_1.jpg

Awesome, Dave! You win an UN XVI mug.

Thanks!! But . . In my best Monty Python Imitation "I'm not done yet!!

From the Smoke On The Water route . .

IMG_0301.jpg

Gentle Dentistry Skill on display . .

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

Thursday 5:30AM - When does he sleep? Even the camera has fuzzy vision this early!

20170629_063849.jpg

I can see for miles and miles and miles . .

20170628_120828.jpg

One day on the BRP, this poor red BMW learned the meaning of 'The Flying (Black) Brick . . . :wave:

20170628_120558.jpg

Ping Pong (and riding) Masters.

20170627_194502.jpg

How many Imperial Gallons does your GSA hold - you probably have time to run down to the store and fill it up before Dave arrives . .

20170626_202754.jpg

Mr Zoom makes another friend!

20170628_122640.jpg

I wasn't in a photographic mood this year (unlike Big Sky country, the NC forest looks pretty much the same everywhere).

Thursday morning Bernie mentioned that Killboy had taken a nice shot, so I bought my one and only souvenir of the trip:

DealsGap-2048px.jpg

According to my GPS, this was quite a trip:

Mileage.jpg

MaxSpeed.jpg

Mach 12 on an 18-year old R1100RT, two up! It must be the Boston Green.

Joe Frickin' Friday

I don't have many pictures from riding, because I was, y'know, too busy riding. But I did snap a few during the relaxing intervals at Fontana village.

Progressive Flo made an appearance:

i-3h8rPQX-XL.jpg

i-89pHQKC-L.jpg

The group dinner was outstanding. As Charlotte would say, "SOME PIG":

i-JcB5vHP-L.jpg

The big surprise came after the group dinner. Little did we know, it was going to be a heavy Flo night. When we woke up on Thursday morning, there was a huge mess, Flo everywhere. There was even Flo all over the bikes:

i-hPVMnBG-L.jpg

i-HMT8dxC-L.jpg

i-KLDFrWM-L.jpg

i-gdQ7Dxz-L.jpg

i-nchD9cJ-L.jpg

i-FcpX62Z-L.jpg

The work of the Fontana Witch, I suppose. Unless the Witch had a list of exactly which bikes belonged to BMWST Un attendees and which ones didn't, I imagine there might have been a few strangers who were scratching their heads that morning wondering why there was a little voodoo doll on their bikes.

Now I really had be able to go and get my own Flow!!! :grin:

Nancy always said I "went with the flow" my whole life!

Speaking of Photos - We saw someone snapping photos on the BRP as we passed by. Anyone know who that is? :S:S I'm pretty sure they took a picture of me on my good side. :rofl:

Edited by workin' them angels
Speaking of Photos - We saw someone snapping photos on the BRP as we passed by. Anyone know who that is? :S:S I'm pretty sure they took a picture of me on my good side. :rofl:

It was the same photographer taking photos on two different days on the same curve of the BRP. Of course I failed to note the mile marker or where I was either time. :dopeslap:

Generally, they are:

US129 Photos

KillBoy

129 Slayer

MoonShine Photos

There are others. Will you help me search and compile a list?

I will Craig. I did a search when I got home, but that may have been too soon. At least one site listed 'The Skyway', which I assume isn't the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Finally, Terri and I got our pics in order.

Welcome to UN XVI ...

DSC_0089-XL.jpg

Early Arrivals - Sunday 6/25 ...

20170625_151605-XL.jpg

A bit of cloud cover on Sunday ...

20170625_125540-XL.jpg

Swag Bags all loaded and ready to go Sunday night for Monday Check-in ...

20170626_011235-XL.jpg

Edited by TyTass

Monday morning the sun greeted us poolside (below). A few of us, Greiffster & Nicole, LtlJohn, and Terri and I did a short morning ride to get acquainted with some of the Sweet 16 roads, as well as to hit one of the liquor stores ...

20170629_075026-XL.jpg

Whip, Steve, Chris, and John chatting away ... perhaps plotting a future UN.

DSC_0118-XL.jpg

Dale headed for the food with Bob gesticulating to Chris presumably about flat tires.

DSC_0105-XL.jpg

Our barkeep and Dave, who appears puzzled by his choice of beverage.

DSC_0104-XL.jpg

Dave and D'Anna listen as Ken starts the story-telling (oops,

I mean the lying).

DSC_0117-XL.jpg

Bernie's grandson Tyler with a couple bad influences: Bob and Mark.

DSC_0122-XL.jpg

MORE TO COME ...

Edited by TyTass

CONTINUATION OF MONDAY EVE KICK-OFF PARTY ...

Here's Jim just a-smiling away ... possibly because Jim is always smiling. He is after all a Canadian. :P

DSC_0140-XL.jpg

Keith ... really excited to get out on the road. :revit:

DSC_0119-XL.jpg

Brian and son, Corey, looking happy to be there. And we were fortunate to have them there ... great peeps! :clap:

DSC_0127-XL.jpg

New friends to Terri and me :dance: , Christine and Mike on the eve of enjoying roads they don't have in Iowa. :bike:

DSC_0146-XL.jpg

Robert and Susan listening intently ...

DSC_0149-XL.jpg

Just too cute ... Karen & Louise. :thumbsup:

DSC_0124-XL.jpg

There's just no way this table is up to any good! Brian, Jake, Mike, Nicol, Alan, & Matt. Sheesh! :stir:

DSC_0084-XL.jpg

This pic is a bit blurry, but then I believe Roger, Leslie, and I actually were a bit blurry by then. :beer:

DSC_0151-XL.jpg

Gary, in all the way from OR, and his friend Dale from PA. Its great to be part of getting old friends back together! :wave:

DSC_0125-XL.jpg

Mark & Karl enjoying a bit of conversation. No extreme embellishments, arms waving, but that doesn't mean everything they're saying is true! :/

DSC_0120-XL.jpg

Chris exclaiming, "Shoosh! Everybody shut up! He's here!" as Richard joins the party. :ohboy:

DSC_0109-XL.jpg

Karl holding forth, while Barry, John, and others listen. Not certain who the others are ... my eyes are failing me. :S

DSC_0091-XL.jpg

Perry, Lynn (I think) and a victim of my early onset dimentia pre-positioning, getting prime real estate around the firepit prior to the night's activities. :cuz:

DSC_0111-XL.jpg

Andy and Burt being very polite by appearing even somewhat interested in the ramblings emanating from my mouth. :Yes:

DSC_0115-XL.jpg

Terri has long said (pronounced; lamented) that I would talk to a anyone. Here I am talking to a stone pillar! I don't recall if it said anything in response. Well it wasn't important anyway. :facepalm:

DSC_0085-XL.jpg

Edited by TyTass
greiffster

Karl holding forth, while Barry, John, and others listen. Not certain who the others are ... my eyes are failing me. :S

DSC_0091-XL.jpg

Well that's me nursing a Dirty Girl Blonde while Nicol stirs her Margarita. Jake put me in charge of protecting his box of Padron Family Reserves, which is like the fox guarding the hen house.

greiffster
Not "likely" it IS the fox guarding the hen house. How were they BTW?

Tasty. Jake's got a guy...who knows a guy...

TUESDAY Ride and Evening ...

Tuesday morning, we got a late start, just as we had the morning prior. (If you're noticing a trend here, you might be on to something.) We decided to run the Highway to Helen routes. We stopped at Cullasaja Falls shortly before Highlands on the Waterfalls Scenic Byway (US-64/SR-28) to snap a few pics that follow. However, just before arriving, we were following a bit of traffic. Two curves before the falls pullout, a fool in a Jeep Cherokee (I think) decided to cut a mild right hander short. His right tires ramped up the start of the rock wall, almost launching him over the guardrail. Bonehead! Well, he did have enough wits to turn left rather than continue his trajectory. (I remain amazed how few people can track in their lane, and at 20 mph, there's just no excuse for it.) Anyway, here a quick pic from the pullout ...

20170627_121416-XL.jpg

Cullasaja again with a bit of zoom.

20170627_121504-XL.jpg

Bridal Veil Falls just a few miles away was blocked off to traffic, so we proceeded on. As expected, SR-28 South out of Highlands was a hoot just as was Warwoman Rd. After a bit of a wait we had lunch at Hofers in Helen. As good as it was the last time we were in Helen. Mike, Nicol, Terri, and I bought delicious pretzels to take back to Fontana to nosh by the fire pit. We screwed up by not buying a jar of the really good mustard.

With little time left, we headed back via the short return leg, route A. The Richard B. Russell didn't disappoint but US-64 West of Franklin did. They were paving and we must have waited for 20 minutes in the sun. Shortly after escaping the construction, we hit Wayah Rd. After a bit I saw rider coming up from behind. When they passed I could see it was Bernie riding 2-up with his grandson, Tyler. Keith was in hot pursuit. I decided to knock off my usually moderate 2-up pace and join Keith in a game of Chasing Bernie. Terri isn't used to us riding very fast when together, so that was a bit of a surprise to her. For the most part we kept up, didn't blow any corners, and I managed not to launch Terri over my head when braking for some of the sharper curves. I did however goof up and shifted into neutral right before a sharp right-hander. Ya know, it's kinda difficult to keep up when you screw up like that. But suffice it to say, eventually we did catch up again and had a blast.

Thanks Bernie! It's nice to have someone else lead, to ensure the path was clear, which of course enabled me to ride more quickly than my comparatively sedate pace.

Wayah was unusually clean ... cleaner than I've ever seen it.

Some new pavement, but of course some old, rutted chip seal that was fun ... not to mention a couple dirty/gravelly spots that broke the tires loose just long enough to snowplow a clean spot. The most exciting thing was the bridge under construction, narrowing to one lane with boards that were not all secured to the beams. I hope the video captured the board being kicked up a few inches by Keith's rear wheel. Thankfully it settled in just before we crossed.

After another bridge there was a pullout with enough room for everyone to pull over. After some high fives, and some quick lies already being quickly concocted, we were joined by Mike and Christine, to whom Wayah seemed messy and untrustworthy at speed. We all chatted a while, happy for a break, and took some photos.

I loved that last bit most of all. Meeting up with another group of riders, everyone excited about their separate and yet similar experiences. As I said, I hope all this come through on the video I shot with my GoPro. Then again, perhaps not. Either way it'll be a while before I see it as I shot 156 GB of video last week and haven't even started downloading yet.

I must be concocting one of those lies and telling it to Bernie. You can tell because my lips appear to be moving.

20170627_173920-XL.jpg

I must not be telling lies to Keith here because you can't see my lips moving.

20170627_172727-XL.jpg

After running a few swag bags to a few folks that hadn't made it to the marathon check-in on Monday afternoon, I settled into group gathered around the firepit. Some folks will say there wasn't much lying going on, but just look how annoyed Burt seems to be that Terri would record the lies. Ooh look! You can see my mouth moving again.

DSC_0154-XL.jpg

Another angle so people cant deny participation in the lying circle.

DSC_0156-XL.jpg

As the night grew deeper, the discussion moved to the upper pool deck ... where cigars were being smoke furiously. Tommy Roe, his son-in-law Nate, and a few others settled in for a casual conversation that ended as a serious discussion where Tommy and I discovered we were alone AND had already solved all the world's problems ... and that by 3:45! How fortuitous!

All in all a great day at the UN.

Edited by TyTass

Great tale, Craig. Keep it up and it is funny too. :wave:

Oh you forgot about Mike and Nicol. They also caught up to us at the pull out.

vPQWkVbl.jpg

Matts_12GS
Not "likely" it IS the fox guarding the hen house. How were they BTW?

Tasty. Jake's got a guy...who knows a guy...

I know where the rest are...

Well, I did mention they were riding with us, but you're right, I didn't mention that the stopped with us. They were just a minute behind us. In fact, the picture I posted of Keith and I chatting actually shows us in front of their bike, blocking the view of the two of them. Here's another pic without Keith and me in the way.

20170627_172711-XL.jpg

Here's the complement picture of Tyler taking the picture of Terri taking the picture of him that you posted:

20170627_172755-XL.jpg

Edited by TyTass

WEDNESDAY DAY RIDE ...

The host team thought we'd get an organizer's ride in since our plans to do that Monday were thwarted. We needed to get an early start because Matt needed to return to Fontana before his son Nathan was dropped off there by his grandmother. However, true to form, we didn't get off before 10:00 am. Imagine that! :/

So, Alan, Mike & Nicol, Matt, Terri & I decided to do a very short day. Our plan was to do Dragon the Line, but in reverse. That would permit Matt to join us for HellBender and the Dragon, where Matt could then turn around to go meet up with Nathan and get him settled in. That would allow the remaining 5 of us time to finish the route and get back to Fontana in time to ensure the group dinner preparations were progressing as planned.

HellBender was a hoot as always, and it's best taken in the morning going west when the sun is at your back. The Dragon was unfortunately a bit crowded and we all got separated when Matt correctly chose to surf a while on a pull-off to allow the slower cars & bikes ahead of us to move on. We then had a good ride from that point forward. Again, I hope the video I took from behind Matt came out good, but I was having issues with my GoPro remote. So, we'll see.

Eventually we parted company with Matt, and the remaining 5 of us went on to Tellico Grains for lunch. We bumped into Roger and Leslie leaving the parking lot, Leslie mounting her badass Spyder! We also bumped into Selden & Pamela leaving the joint.

We had a superb lunch, leaving nothing but crumbs on our plates, to say nothing of our slobber and drool all over the baked goods case. We then headed out on the Skyway. It was largely clear so we had a great ride with only a few 2-line passes. We'd agreed that we were going to stop somewhere in the middle of the Skyway to take pictures at a good overlook as well as to have a bathroom break. After all, we were riding with Alan, who has a bladder the size of a walnut (according to him). I exited the Skyway 3 times, but each overlook was worse than the first. Eventually we found a decent enough pullout, but with no facilities. Alan made it though.

While these forested views may look all the same to some, Terri & I will never tire of these views or riding through green tunnels. (We are however tired of beaches.)

20170628_143241-XL.jpg

20170628_143420-XL.jpg

Mike & Nicole ...

20170628_143814-XL.jpg

Terri and me; where I'm displaying my rather disconnected, Bohemian warm weather riding gear fashions.

20170628_143539-XL.jpg

Three-fourths of the Beastie Boys; with me showing my new, still unblemmished, vented boots ... oft-referred to during the UN as my Storm Trooper boots (the kindest description from Matt), my Dancing with the Stars shoes (Mike's term), and my favorite from Michelle, Craig's Go-Go Boots!

20170628_143711-XL.jpg

Edited by TyTass
greiffster

Alan and I were the only ones brave enough to stand near the rock wall without our helmets on. :rofl:

greiffster
Three-fourths of the Beastie Boys; with me showing my new, still unblemmished, vented boots ... oft-referred to during the UN as my Storm Trooper boots (the kindest description from Matt), my Dancing with the Stars shoes (Mike's term), and my favorite from Michelle, Craig's Go-Go Boots!

Gregory Hines approved!

moobE69SJ-7Cm2g-GJ8rjAyvh1-NKPEeTOEAfTc4PBm-Bt5kKVHrClUuqNR4-MoGobIM_RD3ey1NPDwvQA=w244-h220?.jpg

vPQWkVbl.jpg

Creig,

Mark Mayhew and I were just a few minutes ahead of your group on Wayah Road that afternoon. The road was exceptionally clean, without traffic and a terrific way to end a great day of riding! Wish we had slowed down some to have our pictures taken with the group. Of course slowing down on a road like that is very hard for me to do. :grin:

Of course slowing down on a road like that is very hard for me to do. :grin:

Ain't that the truth! I've tried to keep you in sight before. :wave:

WEDNESDAY GROUP MEAL ...

A Pig Pickin' Picnic, in keeping with the Smoky Mountains theme of the event, was what was up for supper. Terri snagged quite a few pics that I'm going to post. I'm sorry I do not recall the name of everyone in the photos, so if I confuse your name with someone else's face, or don't list you in a caption because I can't associate the name with your face, I apologize ahead of time. Please feel free to quote the pic and self-identify.

First a few pics of folks engaged in pre-supper conversation.

Dan & Mike ...

DSC_0175-XL.jpg

Barry & Jacqueline ..

DSC_0176-XL.jpg

Richard, Burt, Mitch, Robert, Susan ...

DSC_0177-XL.jpg

Christine & Mike, who's sporting one heck of a GREAT T-Shirt!

DSC_0178-XL.jpg

Vegatarians, please look away!

DSC_0164-XL.jpg

DSC_0172-XL.jpg

Bernie and his grandson, Tyler (not so sure about this pig pickin thing) ...

DSC_0205-XL.jpg

Pamela and Selden, wondering why a person is taking a picture of him eating ...

DSC_0182-XL.jpg

Matt and his son Nathan ...

DSC_0183-XL.jpg

Richard and Jacqueline ...

DSC_0200-XL.jpg

Leslie and Roger ...

DSC_0185-XL.jpg

Raan, Ken, and Leslie ...

DSC_0187-XL.jpg

Dave, Ken, & Kate ...

DSC_0186-XL.jpg

Larry, Tasker, and Mike ...

DSC_0188-XL.jpg

Dan & Michelle ...

DSC_0190-XL.jpg

Susan and Robert ...

DSC_0189-XL.jpg

Keith, Dale, and Gary ...

DSC_0191-XL.jpg

Great smiles! Jim, Nicol, and Mike ...

DSC_0192-XL.jpg

Corey, Brian, Nadine, and Lester ...

DSC_0194-XL.jpg

Deb & Al ...

DSC_0196-XL.jpg

Joel & Chris ...

DSC_0198-XL.jpg

D'Anna and Dave ...

DSC_0201-XL.jpg

Jim and Alexx ...

DSC_0202-XL.jpg

The inimitable Tommy and Delores!

DSC_0203-XL.jpg

Mark and Bernie ...

DSC_0204-XL.jpg

Dave and Barry ...

DSC_0206-XL.jpg

Ken, Ken's riding buddy (name?), and Bob ...

DSC_0207-XL.jpg

Thomas, Will, and Karen ...

DSC_0208-XL.jpg

Chris, Lynn, and Mark (I believe ... OMG I'm terrible with names!) ...

DSC_0209-XL.jpg

Mitch and Burt ...

DSC_0210-XL.jpg

Larry (I think I got that but correct me if not) and Perry ...

DSC_0211-XL.jpg

Pat and Terry ...

DSC_0213-XL.jpg

John, Karl, and Louise ...

DSC_0214-XL.jpg

Terry, Charles, and John ...

DSC_0215-XL.jpg

The very serious Steve and Sylvia ...

DSC_0216-XL.jpg

Sylvia, Andy, and Randy (just behind at the other table) ...

DSC_0218-XL.jpg

I apologize again for not getting everyone in the post (some pics just didn't work out) and even more so if I got your name incorrect (there was after all 83 people who attended).

The following are some shots of folks who we recognized for several accomplishments. They each received a Major Award in the form of an UN XVI mug.

Here's the mug ...

VistaPrint%20Mug%20preview-L.jpg

Mike for being the member present with the longest BMWST membership ...

DSC_0226-XL.jpg

Gary, who lives farthest from UN XVI ...

DSC_0227-XL.jpg

Brian, the newest BMWST member present ...

DSC_0229-XL.jpg

Pat, the oldest person present ...

DSC_0230-XL.jpg

Ron (for having attended all UnRallies) and Lester (for having ridden to all UnRallies) ...

DSC_0232-XL.jpg

On herding cats ... the Group Photo. As hosts of previous UnRallies all know, getting folks together for a group photo can be difficult ... and sometime impossible. We snapped a few this time, but I don't believe everyone made it into these shots. I'm posting a few so you can download as you like.

DSC_0246-XL.jpg

DSC_0249-XL.jpg

Edited by TyTass
Alan and I were the only ones brave enough to stand near the rock wall without our helmets on. :rofl:

Don't make fun of my fear of heights!

Gregory Hines approved!

moobE69SJ-7Cm2g-GJ8rjAyvh1-NKPEeTOEAfTc4PBm-Bt5kKVHrClUuqNR4-MoGobIM_RD3ey1NPDwvQA=w244-h220?.jpg

Yes, that ... or this one. Which is closer?

boots.png

WEDNESDAY GROUP MEAL ...

DSC_0249-XL.jpg

Craig - thanks for posting all of the picture's and names. It is the people and friends I have made through BMWST board/events that are most important to me! :thumbsup:

Craig - thanks for posting all of the picture's and names. It is the people and friends I have made through BMWST board/events that are most important to me! :thumbsup:

Well, for me too. However, I hope everyone checks this because Alzheimer's really does run in the family! :rofl:

Edited by TyTass
But my bMoobs are almost that big! :rofl:

Fixed it for ya.

And really, since when do riding boots come with Spats?

Heading to Colorado tomorrow. I hope Flo shows up before I leave so she can ride along with me. :grin:

Careful, or a case of the damn things could show up on your doorstep.

Have fun in Colorado!

Not today! Gonna go with NO FLO. :rofl:

I didn't want more than one but my UN swag bag hasn't shown up yet. :wave:

Edited by Bud