IGNORED

Wethead GS Fork Tube Campaign

Bill_Walker

Bill_Walker

Watch your mail if you own a water-cooled GS!

"As a result of ongoing field observations, BMW Motorrad has determined that the fixed fork tube (stanchion) of the R 1200 GS (K50, K50/11) and R 1200 GS Adventure (K51) can be damaged due to unusual incidents. Such high stress can be caused for example, when riding over an obstacle, during a fall or when driving through deep potholes. Resulting damage to the fixed fork tubes manifests itself through a gap between the stanchion and the press-fitted, top seal plug.

An inspection process along with a repair procedure has been developed. All affected motorcycles must receive one of the two repairs outlined in this bulletin. Customers will be notified by mail by BMW Motorrad USA."

Source: http://www.bmwmoa.org/news/news.asp?id=352098

As a result of ongoing field observations

Gotta hand it to them and their marketing dept. Field observer sounds way more GS macho than Beta Tester. :grin:

Pat

I stopped at our local dealership today, and asked them about the campaign. They said all LC GS and GSAs are affected. They will check each bike to see if there is a gap between the cap and the fork tube. If there is no gap, you're OK. If there is a gap no more than .2mm, a bushing will be installed. If the gap is greater than .2mm, new forks will be installed.

Thanks, Bill. We're making this a "sticky" topic for a while in the interest of our members' safety.

I ...They will check each bike to see if there is a gap between the cap and the fork tube. If there is no gap, you're OK. If there is a gap no more than .2mm, a bushing will be installed. If the gap is greater than .2mm, new forks will be installed.

That's not quite correct. Even if the gap is zero, a bushing will be fitted to both existing fork tubes. And, as you said, if the gap is greater than 0.2mm, a bushing and new fork tube will be installed on both sides, or new fork tubes with bushings already installed will be fitted. So, all bikes will receive some sort of repair; no bikes will leave the dealer without some sort of work being done to them.

Exploreinman

I was just at my dealer, Eurosport Asheville, and the service manager said emphatically that this was not a 'Recall' nor a 'Do Not Ride' campaign. He said the number of bikes with issues was very, very small, and that they had been used very aggressively off-road. BMW in response is fitting the GS's with the support as the bikes come in for service. That's what I was told.

steve.foote

I would want to read the technical bulletin for myself. Over the years, I've heard many, many different versions of how safety recalls are being conducted from service personel. Especially in the early phases.

I would want to read the technical bulletin for myself. Over the years, I've heard many, many different versions of how safety recalls are being conducted from service personel. Especially in the early phases.

The bulletin ("Technical Campaign Fixed Fork Tube Inspection") is readily available numerous places online. I have read it, and saved a copy. Yes, reading it, allows one to separate fact from internet speculation. I'd say it's written clearly enough to allow little/no room for interpretation by dealers (hopefully).

Edited by marcopolo
I ...They will check each bike to see if there is a gap between the cap and the fork tube. If there is no gap, you're OK. If there is a gap no more than .2mm, a bushing will be installed. If the gap is greater than .2mm, new forks will be installed.

That's not quite correct. Even if the gap is zero, a bushing will be fitted to both existing fork tubes. And, as you said, if the gap is greater than 0.2mm, a bushing and new fork tube will be installed on both sides, or new fork tubes with bushings already installed will be fitted. So, all bikes will receive some sort of repair; no bikes will leave the dealer without some sort of work being done to them.

I was just repeating what I was told my the manager of our local dealership. I haven't seen the bulletin.

I was just repeating what I was told my the manager of our local dealership. I haven't seen the bulletin.

I'd say that, if that's what he told you, he'd better read it again. :grin:

The bulletin is quite clear. Here are two quotes directly from the bulletin:

- "Fork tube bushings must be press-fitted on both fork tubes even if there is no gap measured on either side.", and

- "Gap of the individual fork tube is 0.0mm (no gap) or less than or equal to... 0.2mm: Press-fit the fork tube bushing onto the existing fork tube."

The bulletin spells out two repairs. In each case, bushings must be press-fitted. The only difference is that, for repair #2 (gap greater than 0.2mm), bushings must be fitted to new fork tubes. So, all bikes get bushings to both tubes (L/R), and some will also get new fork tubes, along with bushings press-fitted on those tubes. For repair #2, the bulletin also says that it's possible to install new fork tubes that already have the bushings fitted (presumably there will not be enough of those parts to fill the initial demand?).

Edited by marcopolo
  • 2 weeks later...

Me thinks some riders will opt to field test their GS's with some aplomb knowing the result could determine the degree of "fix" required.

Sort of like an extended warranty.

If only Starbux would maintain their parking lots properly...

Edited by tallman