IGNORED

Should I be concerned??? Final Drive Question

James L.

Ok, so I just did a full service on my R1200RT (2011) model.

I also changed the brakes(Carbone Lorraine sintered metal brake pads) and did a reverse brake bleed with Dot 4 synthetic brake fluid. I removed all the old fluid to insure no mixing of types.

I also changed the oil, tranny and final drive fuid. (20w-50 syn, for oil, 75w-140 servere gear oil syn for both tranny and final drive - 180 ml for final drive).

The bike is really happy now with full synthetic oil (I didn't put the blended in, previous owner). The brakes are much better (previous owner put organic pads, made the brake grabby).

Now I have a serious question.

I'm getting these black specs on my rear wheel (Rear only). This is about 200 miles worth of riding.

Is this just the final drive venting and dripping on the wheel, or is this a seal that is about to let me know replacement is needed?

Maybe the new brake pads???

James L

IMG_0906_zpsnfp7j4u6.jpg

IMG_0904_zpsciqsvk4s.jpg

IMG_0903_zpst1okvul7.jpg

Edited by James L.
dirtrider

Afternoon James

Difficult to tell a lot from the pictures as it has the look of brake dust in color but the look of gear oil from the runs & drip pattern.

Did you drain the final drive oil when warm & for long enough?

(you need to drain them long enough to get the old gear oil completely out)

Did you ONLY put 180Ml back into the final drive?

A final thought-- a 75w140 gear oil sure wouldn't be my choice on the 1200 bikes.

Afternoon James

Difficult to tell a lot from the pictures as it has the look of brake dust in color but the look of gear oil from the runs & drip pattern.

Did you drain the final drive oil when warm & for long enough?

(you need to drain them long enough to get the old gear oil completely out)

Did you ONLY put 180Ml back into the final drive?

A final thought-- a 75w140 gear oil sure wouldn't be my choice on the 1200 bikes.

No I didn't have the luxury to ride the bike to get the final drive warm. I did it all at the same time, but left the final drive to drain as much as possible.

I only put 180 ml in the final drive. Maybe 1-2 ml more, but it was measured.

By the size of the drips, I think it is venting, the fluid in small drops, and the new brake pads are putting a nice color to it.

James L

dirtrider

Afternoon James

If it didn't do it before the gear oil change & now does it.

And if you think that it is a venting issue then personally I would drain it again, warm & overnight, then re-fill with 180Ml of 75w90.

You are positive there's no brake fluid leak?

Positive is a tricky word.

I can say, I can't find any place that brake fluid would be coming from.

I didn't loosen anything but the bleeder, and I have checked to make sure it is tight. The banjo fittings were never touched.

James L

Afternoon James

If it didn't do it before the gear oil change & now does it.

And if you think that it is a venting issue then personally I would drain it again, warm & overnight, then re-fill with 180Ml of 75w90.

I admit, that I can't say if it did it before. The organic brakes make such a mess, I rarely cleaned the rims. Now with the new brakes, I decided to clean the rims after the change.

But I don't think this was happening before.

I am going to ride the bike and clean the rim. I will see if this continues. If it does, it will get a different fluid.

It may be pushing fluid out the breather when warm.

I will keep the thread updated on the situation, just for future reference.

James L

• 1 month later...

Just as a follow up. i figured out this was actually brake dust. It had no liquid component to it at all.

As of this moment , the rear tire is clean.

James L