IGNORED

Switched On/Off Power Source

Mike05

Has anyone discovered a "switched" on/off power source for a fuse panel? I've mounted a Centech fuse box under the passenger seat & currently am tapped in to the GPS for switch power.

The challenge is my P3 lights and any other accessories wired to the fuse box remain on almost a full minute after I shut the bike down.

Looking for a true "switch" on/off source that shuts everything down when the key is turned off. Will a rear accessory plug positive wire work? Tail light (not brake light) wire?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Mike, are you sure you have the correct positive wire for the GPS? The reason I ask is when the bike is turned off the GPS instantly switches to the battery that wire isn't hot.

As you know I went with one of the fused wires under the seat and I too have the minute delay which I’m not all that happy with but I’m not running aux lighting so the amps pulled are bad. I did consider the tail light but I used a wire kit for the Fuzeblock that required too large of a Posi Tap to use on the thin gauge wire. If you chose to use the tail light the wire you want is the Gray/Red. You could also tap the headlight.

Good luck my friend

Jay

Norm LeFevre

Not really an answer, but a request for pics. There's been a lot of discussion about lack of room under the seats.

Thanks Mike.

Mike, are you sure you have the correct positive wire for the GPS? The reason I ask is when the bike is turned off the GPS instantly switches to the battery that wire isn't hot.

Good luck my friend

Jay

Hi Jay, :wave:

Pretty sure I connected to the correct (GPS) wire; the P3's stay on for about a minute even after I shut off the GPS. Think I'll try tapping into the brake light wire (red/gray). Hope the Cambus system will let me do that.

Norm, I'll post a few pics of the Centech mounted under the passenger seat; it's snug back there but very doable.

Happy Easter Guys.

Mike

Unless you have a dirty big connector for the electrified top case which is smack bang in the middle of where you have mounted the fuse block :(

Teddy

Hi Teddy,

If you mean the round connector plug that sits in a u-type clamp it's not an issue.

Take the plug out of the clamp, unscrew and remove the clamp itself & zip tie the plug further back on/behind the silver cross brace.

Look closely @ Pic # 2 on right; it shows a pink (ran out of black) zip tie holding the now unclamped connector in place.

At least I think that's what you're referring to.

Hi Teddy,

If you mean the round connector plug that sits in a u-type clamp it's not an issue.

Take the plug out of the clamp, unscrew and remove the clamp itself & zip tie the plug further back on/behind the silver cross brace.

Look closely @ Pic # 2 on right; it shows a pink (ran out of black) zip tie holding the now unclamped connector in place.

At least I think that's what you're referring to.

Yep That's the one IrishMike...

I see it now, I managed to stuff my Autocom Super Pro Auto in that hole, it's a pity they did not leave a little more space under the seats don't you reckon.

Still looks like you have done a neat job :)

Teddy

I see it now, I managed to stuff my Autocom Super Pro Auto in that hole, it's a pity they did not leave a little more space under the seats don't you reckon.

Teddy

Thanks Teddy; easier install then I expected.

Something I noticed in the tail section while installing a set of P3's; it can get a little wet back there.

A few of us spent a long weekend in Arkansas (an absolutely beautiful place to ride!) & during the trip we encountered a full day of rain, some of it fairly heavy. Evidence of wet, misty road "mud/dirt" thrown up by the rear tire appears in the area where you mounted the Autocom.

Look at the junction between the two parts of the black plastic rear "fender" (what my Centech sits on) towards the tail light & you'll see they are not connected. That gap apparently allows some moisture/dirt to kick up in there.

I stuffed a straw-shaped piece of foam along the length of it & it seems to work fine.

Teddy

Thanks Teddy; easier install then I expected.

Something I noticed in the tail section while installing a set of P3's; it can get a little wet back there.

A few of us spent a long weekend in Arkansas (an absolutely beautiful place to ride!) & during the trip we encountered a full day of rain, some of it fairly heavy. Evidence of wet, misty road "mud/dirt" thrown up by the rear tire appears in the area where you mounted the Autocom.

Look at the junction between the two parts of the black plastic rear "fender" (what my Centech sits on) towards the tail light & you'll see they are not connected. That gap apparently allows some moisture/dirt to kick up in there.

I stuffed a straw-shaped piece of foam along the length of it & it seems to work fine.

Thanks for the heads up, I believe the autocom is waterproofish, nevertheless I'll be having a bit more of a closer look when I get home from work this arvo.

When I had it mounted on the ST back in 08-10 it was mounted underneath the LHS side cover out in the elements. I did not encounter any issues then. It was just wrapped in a bit of felt back then to support it.

I'll investigate a piece of foam as well seems like a simple solution.

Teddy

• 5 weeks later...
bubbamoore

Is there some reason for not using the hot lead to the rear powerlet as a trigger lead ? If not it's very convenient.

I used the rear outlet to powed my relay, relay to centex fuse block. Then ran main power from battery to relay, Put in line fuse in that power wire to make the rear outlet Hot all the time. Rear out let now used for battery charging and tire compressor and 10 foot extension light for night setting up tent.

• 3 years later...
Norm,

As per your request...

Centech under the passenger seat:

Plenty of room.

Centech%201-M.jpg

Centech2-M.jpg

Resurrecting an old thread here:

To those who mount a fuse block (whether Centech, Fuzeblock or another brand) in this location (under the pillion seat) how do you secure it? Drive machine screws from under the fender into the fuse panel? Industrial velcro?

Resurrecting an old thread here:

To those who mount a fuse block (whether Centech, Fuzeblock or another brand) in this location (under the pillion seat) how do you secure it? Drive machine screws from under the fender into the fuse panel? Industrial velcro?

BMW uses zip-ties all over the bike so a couple more could hold a fuse block tight without being permanent.

Bill_Walker

I used 3M dual-lock to mount a PDM60 in the same location. You need something a little thick because of the curvature of the mounting surface.

For an "instant-off" trigger circuit, supposedly the low-beam headlight wire works but only if you have halogen headlights, not the LED.

Edited by bobbybob
Bill_Walker
For an "instant-off" trigger circuit, supposedly the low-beam headlight wire works but only if you have halogen headlights, not the LED.

The taillight wire (grey with red stripe) works, too. As long as it's plugged in to the taillight. See my thread on the topic.