IGNORED

Fuel Gauge Level Off

MontanaBud

On my 2004 RT, I recently noticed the fuel gauge does not go as high after refueling. It used to signal one bar below the top after complete refueling, but now it's at least two bars below the top, maybe three. When the fuel in the tank drops to about 1.5 or 2 gallons, the bars completely disappear from the gauge, but the reserve light does not illuminate. After refueling, if I tilt the bike to the right, the bars in the gauge increase but only until I center the bike.

I always reset the trip odometer after refueling, so I know reasonably well how much range I have remaining. My questions are:

Is this repairable, or will it require a replacement of the sending unit, or would you bother with it at all?

Thanks in advance for you advice!

If your setup on the 1150RT is similar to the 1100RT, there are two separate senders. One controls the fuel level on the rider display, the other is the float arm which controls the low fuel light.

First thing I would try is get to the electrical connector at the bottom of the tank. Open it up and use electrical contact cleaner on male and female ends. Work them together and apart and spray again. On my R1100RT this has restored my fuel level back to the top. My RID goes to 9 bars after 30 or 35 miles.

The only other issue that comes up is the charcoal canister. Have you had any issue with a clogged canister? Have you removed it? A clogged charcoal canister can cause a vacuum in the tank which can collapse the fuel level tube.

Oh, excellent. Thanks!

Yes, the 1150rt is set up the same as the 1100rt. I will try to clean the connector. I've not had any problems with the canister (knock wood), nor have I experienced any vacuum in the tank.

On my 2004 RT, I recently noticed the fuel gauge does not go as high after refueling. It used to signal one bar below the top after complete refueling, but now it's at least two bars below the top, maybe three. When the fuel in the tank drops to about 1.5 or 2 gallons, the bars completely disappear from the gauge, but the reserve light does not illuminate. After refueling, if I tilt the bike to the right, the bars in the gauge increase but only until I center the bike.

I always reset the trip odometer after refueling, so I know reasonably well how much range I have remaining. My questions are:

Is this repairable, or will it require a replacement of the sending unit, or would you bother with it at all?

Thanks in advance for you advice!

Morning MontanaBud

There are number of reasons that the 1150 fuel gauge reads low. It can be a resistance problem, or a slightly fuel logged float, or problems with the shared ground, or oxidation on the float guide wires, or ????

Do try cleaning the external connector terminals but unless they are green with oxidation that probably won't help.

See if the gauge reads higher with the key on but the engine off-- If it does then you probably have high resistance in the shared ground at the fuel pump pass through. (sometimes the solder joint will have high resistance)

If you want a LOT of work then drain & remove the fuel tank, then deactivate the fuel pump, then invert the fuel tank (with it still plugged into the bike)-- If the fuel gauge reads full then your problem is probably a sliding float issue (heavy float).

There was a BMW service bulletin to run a separate ground wire directly back to the battery negative post but that ONLY works if the tank pass through shared ground isn't causing the problem. In extreme cases we used to split the fuel pump ground from the shared fuel gauge ground then independently run them to ground.

As quick thing to try is to start using some extra Techron at each fuel fill up, that can help clean the float guide wires & lower high resistance in that area.

Thanks DR. When I next change the fuel filter I'll check everything out, and maybe try to source a good used float tube. Since the gauge level will go up when I tilt the bike to that side, I'm suspecting it's a fouled float (@117k miles). In the meantime I'll clean the connector. I had applied some dielectric grease to the connector a couple years ago without immediately creating this issue, but possibly that is having some effect on it.

Morning Montanabud. I had a collapsed tube on my 03rt. I was able to Repair it by shoving a wood dowel ( actually, it was a police Billy club ) into it and straighten it out. Worked great. The wires attached to it are very thin and I broke one at the base. I was able to re-attach with solder and it has worked fine for years now. I also took off charchol canister and have not had a recurrence of suction deforming the tank. Hope you have an easy fix.

Easy fix: Calculate your mpg. Then, everytime you re-fuel, re-set your trip odometer. Gas up again when the trip odometer tells you. Problem solved! You're welcome.

Shiny Side Up

At 2 bars, it takes 4 gallons to fill my tank - that's the way I use it.

2 bars = 2gals until I'm walking.