IGNORED

Torque question

Dann

Is there a significant difference between 142nm and 145nm?

I'm asking because I need to change my driveshaft and the Swinging arm to main frame, left, locknut needs to be torqued at 145nm but my biggest torque wrench can only reach 142nm.

Can I set it to 142nm and give it a little more oumph?

Is there a significant difference between 142nm and 145nm?

I'm asking because I need to change my driveshaft and the Swinging arm to main frame, left, locknut needs to be torqued at 145nm but my biggest torque wrench can only reach 142nm.

Can I set it to 142nm and give it a little more oumph?

Morning Dann

Not a lot of difference, about 2 foot pounds (142nm=105" lbs), (145nm=107' lbs).

2 foot lbs is 2 pounds applied at the end of a 12" lever.

I wouldn't be so concerned with the 3 nm less as I would be that my torque wrench isn't accurate at max setting (most torque wrenches are at their most accurate in the mid setting range, top & bottom of the setting range they are usually least accurate)

Has anybody tried a digital torque adapter *link* ? This one goes to 147 ft-lb and seems like a lot of bang for the buck.

I have the Harbor Freight version. The best I can determine using weights, a Starrett rule and a digital kitchen scale, the included calibration sheet showing error of less than 0.34% is believable. Torque range: 29.5 to 147.6 ft. lbs. (40 to 200 NM) Regular price is $29.99.

Has anybody tried a digital torque adapter *link* ? This one goes to 147 ft-lb and seems like a lot of bang for the buck.

Afternoon TheOtherLee

We tried using them (different name but same type of device) where I work (we work in a very precision atmosphere) & for a short time they seemed to work OK but after a little usage every time we checked the calibration (weekly) it was off so we had to send them to our instrumentation department for re-calibration. (we don't use them anymore)