IGNORED

R1100RT Tyres

Reecehk

Doesn't really matter which brand you select. On the R1100RT and some other BMW models the front tire will wear unevenly - the left side of the tire worn out before the right.

Many discussions on why tires wear differently on one side vs. the other. I run Metzler PR3's on my 1100RT. As with all tires your riding style grossly dictates wear. I get 8-10K miles out of a set. I replace front and rear at the same time. One set a year. I stick with the same tires because I am familiar with them and how the wear effect riding. I have switched tires before but then I wonder and worry (probably needlessly) about performance near the end of their life.

Well I got a set of Michelin PR3's on again, hopefully I get a better run out of them.

Thanks all and special thanks to Tri750 for his much welcomed advise. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Morning. I too have the Michelin PR, but I went with the 4 GTs. ( Have a rt1150 ). Front wear is as everybody describes. Un-even. More so on the left. But, I got over 11000 out of the front. The rear still has more to go. Good tires. Will buy again.

• 1 year later...

I have the same ones on it again and wearing evenly, seems I didn't have enough air pressure in the rear. I now run 42psi. :)

Well I just looked at the rear tyre and checked the pressure and still 41psi, but the tyre has only done 7,500Kms, this is worse than the previous tyre.

Rear%20tyre%20stuffed%20at%204500Kms%20-3_zpsnlebwvck.jpg

Rear%20tyre%20stuffed%20at%204500Kms%20-1_zpsx9ixmz7t.jpg

Rear%20tyre%20stuffed%20at%204500Kms%20-2_zpskpkjuynu.jpg

What can be causing this!!! :eek:

@ Andy, Just bitumen!!

It is weird why the center still has plenty of tread but the edges, especially the RHS has like a channel. I checked the wheel arch but there is nothing that would cause it, the tyre has bottomed out occasionally but only the center of the tyre has hit.

Maybe it is over inflated though my wife and I always travel together on it, so I would doubt it. May be I should try 50 PSI!! :whistle:

I think I found the problem!!! :facepalm:

I have been using a tyre pressure gauge that is on my compressor for years and thought I'd check this against a precision one, seems the difference is over 10psi. :jaw: I have been running around on tyres with 30psi, no wonder the edges are worn badly.

Well I suppose at least I found the problem!! :)

Never noticed, but then I don't hoon around with my wife on the back.

I did think it felt a bit spongy but thought it had 41psi in it!!

Naturally the front tyre was down also but doesn't have anywhere near the weight on it like the rear, I can still get another season out of the front.

Does it matter if the front is a different brand to the rear? I would doubt it.

No, doesn't matter.

However, changing them as a pair does reward you with that 'new bike feels like it's on rails' feeling. In my world that's worth sacrificing a bit of life in the front tyre!

Well, its unfortunate that the gauge was inaccurate, but at least the symptoms match the cause.

I've found gauges to be inconsistent. I build and support race cars. At the track one weekend I walked around and compared half a dozen competitors higher-end gauges (nothing here less than $50, most more and many fluid filled). None were spot on the same. Most were within 1 lb, but some (including mine) were off 5+ lbs. Mine was 6 lbs low. Another guy's was 5 lbs high.

Any way, point being, don't trust a single gauge. Get a couple and compare them so you get a sense of how the one you intend to use reads in comparison. Also, don't assume just cause the gauge says its right its ok.

Wear and Feel and Subjective might be more right than you think. That's how we do it at the track. Adjust air, document, know for next time. Use your notes. I added tracking which gauge I was using to it.

Tyres are something I tend to ignore on cars, I just walk past and look to see if they need inflating!! :) On the bike naturally they always look inflated. I will buy another gauge to do a comparison and check the tyres more often.

Thanks.

Looks like you were flat track racing that tire...but going clockwise

I spent a lot time sorting through a number pressure gauges checked against a known accurate (certified) gauge at work. I trust no other gauge but that one.

That's a problem from the factory. I'd be sending a picture of that to the Michelin rep and asking for a new tire.