IGNORED

DVD repair manual activation

LittleBriar

LittleBriar

I recently purchased the official DVD repair manual from my dealer. The label says Online Activation Needed.

Can anyone tell me how many computers you can install this on? I would like to put it on my laptop and desktop.

I recently purchased the official DVD repair manual from my dealer. The label says Online Activation Needed.

Can anyone tell me how many computers you can install this on? I would like to put it on my laptop and desktop.

Evening LittleBriar

That's a good question, unless BMW has recently changed it the program is meant to be run off of the DVD (ie DVD in computer DVD player)

That DVD you received is probably around 3 GB & that will take up a LOT of room on your laptop.

It has been a long time since I have used the DVD to run the program as I copy the entire contents of the DVD to a folder on my computer (takes a LONG time), then find the RSD application file in that folder, then make a shortcut on my desktop linking to that RSD application. (this allows my to run the program & use all the selection menus & search functions)

My suggestion is to set that DVD up & run it as the DVD directs. Then once you are familiar with the menu structure & model coding numbers you can try to run it without the DVD on different computers.

Evening LittleBriar

That's a good question, unless BMW has recently changed it the program is meant to be run off of the DVD (ie DVD in computer DVD player)

That DVD you received is probably around 3 GB & that will take up a LOT of room on your laptop.

It has been a long time since I have used the DVD to run the program as I copy the entire contents of the DVD to a folder on my computer (takes a LONG time), then find the RSD application file in that folder, then make a shortcut on my desktop linking to that RSD application. (this allows my to run the program & use all the selection menus & search functions)

My suggestion is to set that DVD up & run it as the DVD directs. Then once you are familiar with the menu structure & model coding numbers you can try to run it without the DVD on different computers.

Yep, BMW certainly have changed things a bit! You can run off the DVD, BUT you will not have the latest updates! BMW has a function in the program that will copy the relevant files to your computer, and the data therefore can be updated. I think that I had gone through 2 updates already. When you do that, you will be able to run the program from your computer without having the DVD in its drive. The program uses the same authorization to run itself either from the DVD or directly from the computer.

How many computers can you run it on? Going from memory, therefore I might be off, I think the number is 6. One thing that I did find that when my Windows 10 went through a major update, I had to reauthorized the BMW program, and it showed my install count as being 2!

Frustrated_Diver

To get the updates from BMW you need to do the install to your PC. No problem there however it does count installs. Now i'm out of installs because the original PC died, replaced that one with a mistake, and replaced that. So, in a matter of just a few weeks, i consumed 3 installs. Now, every time i get a major Windows 10 upgrade, i have to reinstall it and i'm out of installs. In trying to get more, i discovered that the disk is from Sony and it is treated like a game. Hopefully they will allow more installs since there is a problem with their software and Windows.

Stan Walker

In theory you can uninstall and recover your install count prior to doing an update. I haven't tried this, yet, but I lost one install by updating my system, and I have it installed on two PC's too.......

LittleBriar
In theory you can uninstall and recover your install count prior to doing an update.

I hate DRM, although I understand why they do it. Without it you would see a ton of illegal copies on eBay. I want to install this on a laptop and desktop. The uninstall to recover install count would work. So you must be able to see the install count somewhere? Can anyone confirm that uninstalling will increase the install count?

Bill_Walker
In theory you can uninstall and recover your install count prior to doing an update.

I hate DRM, although I understand why they do it. Without it you would see a ton of illegal copies on eBay. I want to install this on a laptop and desktop. The uninstall to recover install count would work. So you must be able to see the install count somewhere? Can anyone confirm that uninstalling will increase the install count?

They have to be recording it online somewhere. They can't write it onto a DVD.

Bill_Walker

This brings up a question. I've ordered the DVD (it's back-ordered in Germany, they tell me), but I'm a Mac user. With the old DVD manuals for my 1150, I could just root around on the DVD until I found the PDF files for the manual, and then copy them to my computer. Can I still do that? Or can I only "install" the damn thing on a Windoze computer? Or can I install it on a Mac?

I do have a token old Windows laptop that I can use if I have to, but I use the thing so seldom that every time I fire it up, I have to spend most of a day installing Windows updates.

This brings up a question. I've ordered the DVD (it's back-ordered in Germany, they tell me), but I'm a Mac user. With the old DVD manuals for my 1150, I could just root around on the DVD until I found the PDF files for the manual, and then copy them to my computer. Can I still do that? Or can I only "install" the damn thing on a Windoze computer? Or can I install it on a Mac?

I do have a token old Windows laptop that I can use if I have to, but I use the thing so seldom that every time I fire it up, I have to spend most of a day installing Windows updates.

Afternoon Bill

My brother uses a Mac (actually a couple) & he runs a lot of windows programs on his Mac. (I'm not up to speed on Mac systems but I think he used to use "Parallels Desktop" or something like that. In any case root around on the net for programs to allow windows programs to run on a Mac. (most should have free trial periods to see if they will work for your application)

They write it to your computer! Every time that I run a program to "clean" out my computer, which includes cleaning out the registry (Win 10) of junks,the program would inevitably delete whatever the BMW program wrote (into the registry), and I would have to reauthorize the program all over again. Fortunately, the DRM is smart enough to know that it is on the same computer, and I would get the message that the program had activated, say, 4 times on this computer, and the install count is just one!

Edited by PadG

I don't think that the data is in pdf format anymore! Let me take a look to be sure....

Hmmmm.....I couldn't even find the data files! I will have to look deeper later.

Edit: Apparently when you install onto your computer, the program hides the data, and when I looked on the DVD, the data is fully hidden! You can't even see it. So, no, you won't be able to browse through as you did, regardless of what OS you are using!

Edited by PadG
Bill_Walker

They write it to your computer! Every time that I run a program to "clean" out my computer, which includes cleaning out the registry (Win 10) of junks,the program would inevitably delete whatever the BMW program wrote (into the registry), and I would have to reauthorize the program all over again. Fortunately, the DRM is smart enough to know that it is on the same computer, and I would get the message that the program had activated, say, 4 times on this computer, and the install count is just one!

That works for authorization on that computer. It doesn't work for the install count across multiple computers.

Bill_Walker

I don't think that the data is in pdf format anymore! Let me take a look to be sure....

Hmmmm.....I couldn't even find the data files! I will have to look deeper later.

Edit: Apparently when you install onto your computer, the program hides the data, and when I looked on the DVD, the data is fully hidden! You can't even see it. So, no, you won't be able to browse through as you did, regardless of what OS you are using!

Well, crap. Here's hoping it looks different when examined from a Mac, which might not respect Windows' "hidden file" attribute.

I can get around the Windows attributes, and this is well beyond that! If it was in the old days, I would have hacked it by now, but I'm getting too old and disinterested to get into that again! :)

• 1 month later...

Old thread, but wanted to add that the DVD comes with 4 activations. So you can install on 4 computers. Just installed it on my desktop and laptop.