IGNORED

LC Tire Wear

bobbybob

What kind of tire wear are you seeing front vs rear on the LC bikes? On my '15 GS, the front would last 6,000 while the rear was gone in 3500--this is with PR4's. Now with the RT, both are gone at 4000! Kind of a shocker for me, the GS was the old "1 front for 2 rears" kind of wear. Plus the front is very uneven---the right side is toast while the center has decent tread left, and the left side is somewhere in between. The right side is almost "indented" there's so much rubber worn off. Never ever seen uneven wear like this before.

What are yall seeing?

Edited by bobbybob

There is something drastically wrong if that is the millage your getting .I went through four sets of PR4s on my 04RT and so far six sets on my 14RT. Overall average is 10,000 miles , I have gotten 11,000 miles a time or two but that was pushing it. I could probably get more out of the front tire but I have always changed both at the same time.

What I'm really looking for is the ratio between your front and rear mileages, like front=12000 rear =9000 etc or maybe they both wear at the same rate, I dunno, thats what I'd like to find out--re. the LC RT's.

As for the # of miles I get on a set, the only problem is in my right hand (throttle/brake) lol. My riding is all done (well 85% of it) on twisting mountain roads at a rather brisk pace. And everyone I ride with gets comparable mileage--except for the 2 rears for 1 front ratio. No commuting done here. Oh and also wondering if anyone has seen that weird irreg front wear pattern I mentioned.

Edited by bobbybob

I changed them both at 12K...there was mileage left in both but I have a routine of new tires at 12k check ups. Could have made 14-15k but I don't push them that far. Rear had more left than front but not by much. That's been my history across all the PR family and 3 different bikes. Be sure to run top of the air recommendation for longer mileage.

Edited by Skywagon
I changed them both at 12K...there was mileage left in both but I have a routine of new tires at 12k check ups. Could have made 14-15k but I don't push them that far. Rear had more left than front but not by much. That's been my history across all the PR family and 3 different bikes. Be sure to run top of the air recommendation for longer mileage.

OK, I'm starting to see a trend, i.e. instead of 2 rears for 1 front tire, its more like 1 for 1 then. I only change both at the same time if they both need it, which has been *never* on my GS's. This is a first for me now. I wasn't expecting it.

Edited by bobbybob

I get two rears for one front on the Bridgestone T-30 EVO. Don't always run the rear to wear bars, I'll put on a new one for a trip. Rears will go 7-8000 for me and front easily two rears. Running Roadsmart III now, not as sure the front will last as well as the T-30....

What tire pressures do you run? Guys getting higher mileage usually run 36 to 38psi front and 42psi rear.

I run 37-43 always.

I have gone thru one set of PR3s and two sets of PR4s. In every case the rear tires were shot at just under 6000 miles, and the fronts had plenty of tread left. I now have a set of Metzler Roadtec 01s. I will never again buy Pos.

....I will never again buy Pos....

What did you mean by "Pos"? Roadtec or PR4?

Edited by bobbybob

Hey, tlc, I'm an hour away from you in Dandridge. I hope to be going to AGT this coming week for my second set of 01's. They're my favorite tire so far - but be prepared for less mileage than the PR4's. On my RT, and previously on a couple of Multistradas, Pilot Road's consistently gave the best mileage.

I meant PRs (either PR3 or PR4). SpellCheck "corrected" my spelling!

So to be clear, PR4 = bad, Roadtec = good...right?

I would be thrilled to get 6K off a rear tire made by anyone lol.

So to be clear, PR4 = bad, Roadtec = good...right?

I would be thrilled to get 6K off a rear tire made by anyone lol.

Well Bob, I don't ride a LC-RT, but rather a old worn out HexHead RT (110 HP when new).

My Roadtec 01 was bald front and rear, below wear marks and exposing cords after 4780 miles (1x START and 1/2 a UnRally Events). Quiet disappointing.

While Angel GT "A" normally last around 7 - 8 K miles.

PR-4 GT-2CT will last around 8-9K for me, if I use them below the wear marks.

So you will have to experiment yourself, as your RT is heavier then your previous GS and may also have little bit more power, but I can't imagine the RoadTec 01 will last 6K on a RT ridden in the NC mountain roads.

Just my 0.2 cents.

Probably not. If there was a tire made that would last 6K miles in those conditions, I would gladly pay $300 for it. But it doesn't exist and probably never will.

Edited by bobbybob