IGNORED

Pre Planning for service at the rally in Salt Lake

RTinNC

Planning on doing a oil and final drive change at the rally in Salt Lake and am shipping all that I need so as to not have to spend time gathering up what I need. Can the experts here confirm the following:

Final Drive .... 180 ML to fill ?

Oil Drain Plug is #10

Final Drive Fill plug is #5

Final Drive Drain is a 45 Torx

I have the 4 liters of oil and the new crush washers.

Anything else I am missing?

Thanks in advance. Have not done an oil change of final drive change on the RT yet so just want to triple check.

szurszewski

Filter wrench? Is there a cover over the filter on the RTW? (Changed the oil on one only once and it was a couple of years ago.)

This is a GS, but is the same for any "wet head" BMW... JVB

"almost" the same .... mine is a 2016 RTW and what was depicted was the older cam head. But looks like the drain plug is the same but pretty sure the fill is not 8mm. Also assume the 180 ML to fill has not changed.

Filter wrench? Is there a cover over the filter on the RTW? (Changed the oil on one only once and it was a couple of years ago.)

They usually have all the tools needed but I am bringing all but the filter wrench. THAT should be at the oil change booth. Yes there is one lower side cover to be removed and I have the #25 Torx for that.

Planning on doing a oil and final drive change at the rally in Salt Lake and am shipping all that I need so as to not have to spend time gathering up what I need. Can the experts here confirm the following:

Oil Drain Plug is #10

Thanks in advance. Have not done an oil change of final drive change on the RT yet so just want to triple check.

I don't see the final drive oil on your list (maybe it's assumed it's not the same as the engine/transmission, just saying)

Jay

I thought BMW changed the fill amount from 4 liters to 4 quarts. 4 liters put the level at the max top of the sight glass and caused some clunky shifting.

IIRC...

szurszewski

I thought BMW changed the fill amount from 4 liters to 4 quarts. 4 liters put the level at the max top of the sight glass and caused some clunky shifting.

IIRC...

I was thinking he just meant he had he four containers of oil....

IIRC...

I was thinking he just meant he had he four containers of oil....

Correct and I believe the Castrol 5w-40 comes in liter containers. But yes I have 4 !

Oil Drain Plug is #10

I don't see the final drive oil on your list (maybe it's assumed it's not the same as the engine/transmission, just saying)

Jay

Yep ... have one of the small bottles that is just over 200 ML I Believe and have a condiment container squeeze bottle marked at 180 ML.

This is a GS, but is the same for any "wet head" BMW... JVB

"almost" the same .... mine is a 2016 RTW and what was depicted was the older cam head. But looks like the drain plug is the same but pretty sure the fill is not 8mm. Also assume the 180 ML to fill has not changed.

You are correct. Fill plug on the wet heads is 6mm hex, drain is T45 Torx. 180 ml fill for FD.

Edited by AZgman

Thanks guys ! Looks like I am set. Hitting the road on Wed. for my epic ride. My longest solo trip. Thanks again!