IGNORED

2017 Iron Butt Rally

Blind Squirrel

The 2017 IBR is about to start!! Our own Kirsten Talken-Spaulding is riding in it again. Here is a link to the daily report page: 2017 IBR Reports

Blog for Kirsten's adventure: KT's Ridin

I did not realize she was on BMWST. What's her screen name?

Blind Squirrel
The 2017 IBR is about to start!! Our own Kirsten Talken-Spaulding is riding in it again. Here is a link to the daily report page: 2017 IBR Reports

Blog for Kirsten's adventure: KT's Ridin

I did not realize she was on BMWST. What's her screen name?

KTsRidin

Isn't there usually a theme to the rally. I seem to remember one year it was locations that had something to do with transportation and another year I believe it was the legal system. Does anyone know what this year is about?

I went out west from Maryland after one of the ironbutt rallies. I had a list of the checkpoints and if I could and it looked interesting I diverted a little to see them. One of the places that I remember was "Carhenge". http://carhenge.com/

Edited by kioolt

I'm having trouble with the Spotwalla feed. It appears ok for a few seconds then the map disappears and I get an error message. Is anyone else having the same problem?

roadscholar

I had that happen earlier then it was fine awhile now it's "temporarily disabled". I can tell you there are clumps going off in several different directions : )

The servers are being overloaded, both Spotwalla's connection to Google Maps and the IBR site. They are working on the problem. Found one mention of 75,000 concurrent viewers.

I wonder how many people are leaving the Spotwalla page up all day?

I have followed along on the FJRForum the past few events, but this time I had to register, but that got me the ability to see their discussion, which is usually entertaining, even if they do bash our brand from time to time.

In the links provided you can get to the start of the rally but, here's a shortcut. The equipment is very interesting, check it out at the 3:11 mark. :) This is neat, I've never witnessed an IBR start. :thumbsup:

Pat

Shiny Side Up
The Day 1 Report is out. Mentions a group photo bonus at the "World's Largest Prairie Chicken". Are they collecting roadside animal attractions?

MNROTprairie1.jpg

I went to the start / banquet.

The theme for 2017 is "animals". Could be attractions, zoos, animal parks, etc. That where the bonus points will be.

Title: North American Safari

Animals - Air, Land, Water, Prehistoric, Mythical

And - Kirsten is riding.

Shiny Side Up
Mike,

Looks like a good start.

Are you back home now?

Yep - had a blast!! Got to meet up with some old acquaintances and make some new friends. Couldn't ask to be around a nicer bunch of people. Wish I had more time as it was somewhat of a whirlwind trip (left Sat morning and started home on Mon AM) Had dinner (the banquet) with three guys from Australia that were just a hoot!! Kept me laughing until they headed for their rooms to plan out the first leg.

Everybody there was asking - "Where the heck is Bud and how come he's not riding with us?"

Right now - 3:15 on a Friday afternoon before the 4th of July holiday, there's a rider heading into Manhattan. Spotwalla Page

Traffic is going to be rough going in and coming out, and google says it would take a regular person almost 24 hours to get back to Checkpoint 2. :bike:

I'll be watching to see how it goes for this rider... Also, it will be interesting to see if they show up in the CP2 scoring report, this bonus has to be massive.

Isn't there a "sucker bonus" every Rally?

I remember the burning FD of Rob Nye's GS a few years back as he was trying to ride to AK and back.

roadscholar
Right now - 3:15 on a Friday afternoon before the 4th of July holiday, there's a rider heading into Manhattan. Spotwalla Page

Traffic is going to be rough going in and coming out, and google says it would take a regular person almost 24 hours to get back to Checkpoint 2. :bike:

I'll be watching to see how it goes for this rider... Also, it will be interesting to see if they show up in the CP2 scoring report, this bonus has to be massive.

It is interesting to watch some of the outliers, where is CP2 same place as one? Last night around midnight one rider went by my exit on 295 in S.Jax and I guessed he was heading for the Alligator Farm in St.Auggy, I think he was the only one that came all the way across I-10 to 95 so I watched him awhile. Instead of the AF he went out on Vilano Bch north of town then back to 95. He and one other were way out front on the way to Key West but appears all the others took the turnpike or 75.

There's something big going on at S. Padre Island and a fair number are in the Rockies, maybe Dinosaur Nat. Monument?

It is interesting to watch some of the outliers, where is CP2 same place as one?

Yes, hotel in Allen Texas, NE of Dallas. 8:00 Saturday night, penalty points start to accrue, and at 10 PM disqualification.

Yes Bud, there are very often "sucker" bonus', but sometimes people make them work. In 2001, Bob Hall rode to Alaska, I believe twice, which was supposed to be the sucker bonus on the third leg, but he made it work, and won the rally.

Isn't there a "sucker bonus" every Rally?

IBR report indicates Rob has chosen to retire rather than continue.

Shiny Side Up
It is interesting to watch some of the outliers, where is CP2 same place as one?

Yes, hotel in Allen Texas, NE of Dallas. 8:00 Saturday night, penalty points start to accrue, and at 10 PM disqualification.

Yes Bud, there are very often "sucker" bonus', but sometimes people make them work. In 2001, Bob Hall rode to Alaska, I believe twice, which was supposed to be the sucker bonus on the third leg, but he made it work, and won the rally.

I, personally, would be more fond of the rest bonus!!

roadscholar
Last night around midnight one rider went by my exit on 295 in S.Jax and I guessed he was heading for the Alligator Farm in St.Auggy, I think he was the only one that came all the way across I-10 to 95 so I watched him awhile. Instead of the AF he went out on Vilano Bch north of town then back to 95. He and one other were way out front on the way to Key West but appears all the others took the turnpike

Went to dinner in St Aug tonight and decided to run across the bridge to Vilano to see what the bonus might be. There's a funky motel on the corner with big neon rabbits on the roof and a big flamingo behind em. Coulda been a twofer : )

Blind Squirrel

Kirsten has had a few struggles. From the blog:

Kirsten found herself in the dark, having wrestled the bike up from one sand pit only to be tossed into an embankment as the bike found yet another pit of deep sand and a rock for the front tire. For those of you playing along at home, that’s four get-offs – one pre-start and three underway.

http://ktsridin.blogspot.com/

Shiny Side Up

Kirsten found herself in the dark, having wrestled the bike up from one sand pit only to be tossed into an embankment as the bike found yet another pit of deep sand and a rock for the front tire. For those of you playing along at home, that’s four get-offs – one pre-start and three underway.

Yep... and there have been some crashes. The Lyles (2-up competitors) are out after a slow speed get off at a rest area - broken shoulders. One deer strike but the rider kept the motorcycle up.

The rally just goes to prove that BMW is not alone with motorcycle problems. A friend who's a volunteer at CP2 told me about some of the mechanical problems - all makes and models.

Kristen is one tough lady! Sure hope she is a finisher again this year.

Glenn Reed

From the Day 11 Report:

"Kirsten Talken-Spaulding noted in her call-in that she was coming from a bonus on a paved road, calling from a stop on a paved road, going to a bonus on a paved road, and planning to remain on paved roads for the rest of the rally. "

Hopefully she is in the barn, and not one of those three still in Wisconsin. DNF time looks ominous for at least one of those riders.

Great ride by all the riders. so many stories. Great job Jim Owen, Bob lilley and Ken Meese(who hit a deer and still stayed up)Isha on his 400 burgmen,Jim Coons with 200,000 mile on his 94 R1100rs,Jerry Anderson rode his 1974 two stroke GT 750 Suzuki to the finish, Dylan Spink on a 1974 Honda Goldwing. and everybody that run the Rally.

The miles and the stories are unbelievable to say the least.

Hats off to all the riders and staff in this years Iron Butt Rally

Edited by njl4
Congratulations Kirsten! Overcoming adversity and still persevering is what the rally is all about.

:thumbsup:

Great ride by all the riders. so many stories. Great job Jim Owen, Bob lilley and Ken Meese(who hit a deer and still stayed up)Isha on his 400 burgmen,Jim Coons with 200,000 mile on his 94 R1100rs,Jerry Anderson rode his 1974 two stroke GT 750 Suzuki to the finish, Dylan Spink on a 1974 Honda Goldwing. and everybody that run the Rally.

Well said!

And to our own KT what a fantastic rally. So proud of her and her capacity to continue on in spite of adversity.

Mentally and physically strong. :clap:

I've uploaded a GPX file of the bonus locations to www.poi-factory.com. It is not showing yet but should soon. I guess someone has to approve it first. You should be able to search for Iron Butt 2017 to find it. When it shows up I will post more info on how to get it.

Shiny Side Up

+100!!