BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#991039 - 07/01/17 01:49 PM Re: Lower front brake hose burst - R1100RT [Re: Reecehk]  
tallman Offline
Picture Perfect Humorist
tallman  Offline
Picture Perfect Humorist

Tallahassee, Florida
Lots of good advice.

My .02
No offense intended, we've all BTDT in some manner...
but, this is a "system", and it should be addressed as such,
not piecemeal.
So, take a deep breath, all the info is on the internet.
Before doing anything, research what is involved.
You'll need new lines.
You'll need fluid.
You'll need to replace lines, bleed system.
The fuel filter is another story.
Again, research the what to do/look for.

If you aren't comfortable after research, like many of us, stop.
125 miles isn't that far, IMO.
Get a trailer and take it there.
Hopefully they are good and will do it all correctly.

If you are going to do it all, print out pages with the steps, get all your parts, strip bike (sounds like you could do it) and take the opportunity to really clean/polish inside and outside of tupperware.
I used to do that every year.

There are other age related items, such as the Hall Sensor.
Has it been replaced/rewired?

Again, no offense intended.
Admirable to do the pads, but on a '98, well, the lines were on borrowed time, so inevitable they would go.
Best wishes.

If my mind wanders, should I follow it?
Tim
Conch Town Krewe
2003 K 1200 GT
1996 R 100 RSL
1980 R 100 RT
1972 R 75
1968 R 50
All now gone...

#991042 - 07/01/17 02:10 PM Re: Lower front brake hose burst - R1100RT [Re: Reecehk]  
Michaelr11 Online
Michaelr11  Online

Trinity, NC
Take a deep breath Reecehik. The ABS II braking system on the R1100RT is really quite basic. You CAN do it yourself.

You should get a brake hose replacement kit. I would get some kind of teflon/stainless steel hose set, not replacement OEM rubber hoses. Figure that the rear rubber hose is in the same condition as the front and plan on replacing that too.

The ABS II system is a complete fluid line from lever to caliper with the ABS module sitting in the middle. The front and rear circuits are separate, even inside the ABS module it's two separate fluid lines.

It's possible to replace the lines and leave the gas tank on the bike, but it is easier to do this work with the gas tank off. If you haven't added quick disconnects, you will have to deal with gas coming from the fuel hoses when you disconnect them. Drain as much gas as you can from the tank. You have a bolt on the right side holding down the tank. There's an electric connection on the right side below that hold down bolt that get disconnected. Radio? You either remove/disconnect the radio box. No radio? Glove box is either left on or removed - easier to remove it.

Front brake circuit is easy. Once you replace the hoses, open the bleed valve and connect a clear tube to the bleeder emptying into a bag or bottle. Open the handlebar reservoir and fill with DOT4 brake fluid. The fluid will drain down the circuit on it's own unless the ports are clogged. You help it move quicker by gently moving the front brake lever in it's normal travel. Don't pull it all the way to the grip. Watch the fluid level in the top reservoir keep adding fluid. Fluid will soon come out from the bleeder. When the air bubbles stop and clear clean fluid comes out, close the bleeder. You should have fluid in the entire front circuit. If you want to you can put a clear hose on the ABS bleed valve (front) and open it for a second or two. Probably will get clean fluid out immediately but you might get an air bubble out. Make sure the reservoir is filled below maximum and close the reservoir. The lever should be firm with one or two pulls - maybe immediately. Brakes should release and grab normally.

Rear circuit is a little trickier. I will send that in another reply later.

Michael Stock, Trinity NC
01 R1100RT, R60/6, R100
#991068 - 07/01/17 08:14 PM Re: Lower front brake hose burst - R1100RT [Re: Reecehk]  
Jim Moore Offline
Jim Moore  Offline

Jax, FL
Speiglers and Galfers both make replacement brake line kits. They're about $200-$250, so a little pricy, but not insane. You need to take the tank off. While you're doing that, you may want to consider a set of quick disconnects for the fuel lines. You may also want to consider replacing the fuel lines themselves. And what the hell, do the fuel filter and the internal lines too while you're at it.

Bleeding the lines is not a big deal at all. You need to bleed the nipple at the ABS too. I would consider buying a MityVac or something similar. That makes it a lot easier.

Good luck. Take your time. Ask questions as you go.

Jim

Jim Moore Jax, FL '99 R1100S '02 R1150GS
#991069 - 07/01/17 08:42 PM Re: Lower front brake hose burst - R1100RT [Re: tallman]  
Selden Offline
Selden  Offline

Atlanta, GA
Adding to Tallman's suggestions: take photos as you go along, especially of the internal tank fuel lines, if you decide to include that step (highly recommended). While you are at it, check thickness of brake rotors, which may be below minimum spec.

When I replaced the clutch on my '99 RT several years ago, digital photos were essential during the reconstruction process especially when I came across one electrical socket for which I could not find a corresponding plug. It turned out that nothing had ever been plugged in to that mystery connector!

Don't fix it if it ain't broke, don't break it if you can't fix it.
#991100 - 07/02/17 07:16 AM Re: Lower front brake hose burst - R1100RT [Re: dirtrider]  
Reecehk Offline
Reecehk  Offline

South Australia
Thanks All, I feel more confident to do the job myself and the mechanic is another expense that I don't need!!
I will have to watch the video's you mentioned Josh since I don't know how to bleed the ABS controller. I assume you bleed between the master cylinder and the ABS controller first then carry on to the calipers?
How will I know(or anyone) if there is still air in the ABS controller?

Hopefully the video will show all of this! thumbsup

Edit: OMG!! I didn't realize it had gone over the page, so I see I have more reading to do! smile

BTW, I have had the tupperware off quite a few times for various servicing such as replacing the serpentine belt, installing a new radio and others.

#991102 - 07/02/17 08:59 AM Re: Lower front brake hose burst - R1100RT [Re: Reecehk]  
Jim Moore Offline
Jim Moore  Offline

Jax, FL
Bleeding at the ABS is just like bleeding at the calipers.

I'm sure there is a correct order, but I just go back and forth bleeding the calipers and the ABS module. Eventually the lever harde3ns up.

Jim Moore Jax, FL '99 R1100S '02 R1150GS
#991105 - 07/02/17 10:30 AM Re: Lower front brake hose burst - R1100RT [Re: Reecehk]  
szurszewski Offline
szurszewski  Offline

Portland, OR
As Jim says, the ABS controller, for bleeding purposes, is just a block under the gas tank with bleed nipples - and it works just like bleeding at the calipers. In fact it's a little easier as you can reach it and the brake lever at the same time.

*insert witty remark here*
#991110 - 07/02/17 11:27 AM Re: Lower front brake hose burst - R1100RT [Re: szurszewski]  
Reecehk Offline
Reecehk  Offline

South Australia
Thank you all very much for the excellent very helpful suggestions. thumbsup
Concerning the 5 hose kit there are 2 brands available that I can get, both are about the same price, Goodridge and Galfer both braided stainless steel. confused The Goodridge is about $20 cheaper.

#991140 - 07/02/17 03:56 PM Re: Lower front brake hose burst - R1100RT [Re: Reecehk]  
avu3 Offline
avu3  Offline

Cordelia, CA
I've personally used Galfer on other bikes and never had a problem with their stuff. I get a lot of google hits for Goodgridge, even though I'd never heard of them so they probably wouldn't bother me. Either is surely better than 20 year old with a hole in it!

Scott
1999 R1100RT & some Hinkley Triumphs
#991204 - 07/03/17 01:34 AM Re: Lower front brake hose burst - R1100RT [Re: Reecehk]  
Reecehk Offline
Reecehk  Offline

South Australia
I have sent off for the Galfer set! thumbsup

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5