BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#991832 - 07/09/17 02:22 PM Re: Lower front brake hose burst - R1100RT [Re: Reecehk]  
Paul De Offline
Paul De  Offline

Milwaukee Wisconsin, USA
Locked caliper

My '99 RT had a front brake line from the ABS unit to the distribution block fail about 2 years ago. Replaced all lines with a Speigler braided SS kit. Fit was perfect and instruction clearly written. Good looking too with lots of color choices.
Do all hoses at once or you'll be chasing bad hose fixes for a while. Besides, brakes are a system to not just partially make right.

It was not a bad job once all the tupperware and tank was off. The Job was made easy with a mighty vac and plenty of DOT 4 fluid. No spongy brakes. While your in there replace the fuel filter if it hasn't been done per schedule, or you are uncertain when last done

If the good old days were so damn good, why did we bother to invent modern times?

Most missed bike: Bultaco Sherpa T 326
#991879 - 07/10/17 02:19 AM Re: Lower front brake hose burst - R1100RT [Re: Lowndes]  
Reecehk Offline
Reecehk  Offline

South Australia
Quote:
"learning experience"

Yes I'm looking forward to doing it - NOT!!!

Quote:
While your in there replace the fuel filter

Yes done that! thumbsup

#991890 - 07/10/17 01:10 PM Re: Lower front brake hose burst - R1100RT [Re: Reecehk]  
Paul De Offline
Paul De  Offline

Milwaukee Wisconsin, USA
Check on not looking forward to the job. Particularly in winter with a cold workspace and tools. Up here in the frozen tundra area of the lower 48 states I keep my hand tools in a heated space put the ones I need for the job in a insulated cooler and work fast if I must work on busted equipment in the dead of winter. Our January here can get it -10F and of course something will need attending to when it is terrible cold outside.

If the good old days were so damn good, why did we bother to invent modern times?

Most missed bike: Bultaco Sherpa T 326
#991901 - 07/10/17 03:30 PM Re: Lower front brake hose burst - R1100RT [Re: Reecehk]  
szurszewski Offline
szurszewski  Offline

Portland, OR
I kept tools inside always, but never thought to put them in a cooler to keep warm outside. Would have saved me some skin on my lips back when we lived in far western AK. (-10F was often a warm day - and stuff never needed fixing on warm days!)

*insert witty remark here*
#992465 - 07/18/17 10:32 AM Re: Lower front brake hose burst - R1100RT [Re: szurszewski]  
Reecehk Offline
Reecehk  Offline

South Australia
I have replaced all the hoses on the front brakes and bled them in the order:
FL Caliper
FR Caliper
ABS
Repeat.
I made sure the reservoir was always filled and pressure on the vacuum bleeder before opening the valves. I did note that there was almost no flow unless I operated the brake lever, took a while but all seems ok.
Tomorrow I start the rear. thumbsup

#992518 - 07/19/17 05:06 AM Re: Lower front brake hose burst - R1100RT [Re: Reecehk]  
Reecehk Offline
Reecehk  Offline

South Australia
Well the back is done. . . I hope!! smile
One thing that is annoying is when using a vacuum bleeder is the bubbles from where the tube plugs into the nipple, hard to tell if it is from inside or outside of the nipple!!
The brakes feel ok, I possibly should have done the last bit the old fashioned way by just having a hose to a bottle and hand pump the brake peddle/lever hold pressure and undo nipple, tighten when lever goes down/in. confused
I think it is ok though, they seem quite responsive without too much travel. smile

#992529 - 07/19/17 11:16 AM Re: Lower front brake hose burst - R1100RT [Re: Reecehk]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Originally Posted By: Reecehk
Well the back is done. . . I hope!! smile
One thing that is annoying is when using a vacuum bleeder is the bubbles from where the tube plugs into the nipple, hard to tell if it is from inside or outside of the nipple!!
The brakes feel ok, I possibly should have done the last bit the old fashioned way by just having a hose to a bottle and hand pump the brake peddle/lever hold pressure and undo nipple, tighten when lever goes down/in. confused
I think it is ok though, they seem quite responsive without too much travel. smile

Morning Reecehk

It if is external air (like from bleed screw threads) then the air bubbles will be very small & quite evenly spaced.

If the air bubbles are larger, irregularly spaced, or random then it is more than likely air from inside the system.

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#992536 - 07/19/17 12:40 PM Re: Lower front brake hose burst - R1100RT [Re: dirtrider]  
Reecehk Offline
Reecehk  Offline

South Australia
It is mostly from the outside between the tube and the nipple, when the valve is turned off the bubbles are still forming while there is pressure on the bleeder. Has anyone tried a small wire tie around the tube? Might be worth a try though it feels better than it has ever been front and rear.
If there is air in the ABS unit would it still effect the actual brakes?
I wonder if this would also effect the ABS fault/warning lights?
I suppose I am just going to have to suck it and see!! smirk

#992548 - 07/19/17 01:41 PM Re: Lower front brake hose burst - R1100RT [Re: Reecehk]  
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle
dirtrider  Offline
The Oracle

Ohio
Morning Reecehk

It is mostly from the outside between the tube and the nipple, when the valve is turned off the bubbles are still forming while there is pressure on the bleeder. Has anyone tried a small wire tie around the tube? Might be worth a try though it feels better than it has ever been front and rear.--Just don't worry about the external air as it HAS NO EFFECT ON BLEEDING OR AIR INSIDE THE SYSTEM.

If there is air in the ABS unit would it still effect the actual brakes?--Yes, but depending on amount of air maybe not a lot.

I wonder if this would also effect the ABS fault/warning lights?--Little air,= NO, lots of air,= YES.

I suppose I am just going to have to suck it and see!!--At one time BMW didn't recommend vacuum bleeding the old ABS-2 systems as there was concern with ABS controller internal damage.

In the old days when I had an 1100 bike with ABS-2 & a LOT of air in the brake system I would give it a preliminary bleed, then ride bike on loose dirt road & brake hard enough to get both ends into ABS mode, then return to my shop & re-bleed the ABS controller.

D.R. ___
Sent from my rotory dial wall phone!
#992582 - 07/19/17 05:47 PM Re: Lower front brake hose burst - R1100RT [Re: Reecehk]  
Jim Moore Offline
Jim Moore  Offline

Jax, FL
When vacuum bleeding use the smallest amount of vacuum you can. If you suck too hard you pull air from the outside. You can also pump gently on the lever as you bleed. that will move internal bubbles around.

Jim Moore Jax, FL '99 R1100S '02 R1150GS
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5