IGNORED

Picked Up New 17' R1200RT

RT5HTP

Just picked it up the RT (Alpine White) yesterday and love the bike! Came from a big HD touring bike and made the change due to an issue I'm having with hearing loss/Tinnitus. My vast search for a bike with superior wind protection led me to the RT. I have an AeroFlow windscreen on order and may splurge for the AeroWings as well. Need to beef-up the wind protection as much as possible to save further hearing problems. I'm sure that I'll have plenty of questions as time goes on. Glad to be here!

I hate wind noise and recently purchased a Shoei GT Air, which is nice and quiet! I also use ear plugs and have found after much messing about with screens that the quietest ride is in clear air with the RT screen all the way down!

Never without earplugs now! Also, changed from a half helmet to a Schuberth C3 Pro and love it...great fit/comfortable.

Congratulations on the new bike. The waterhead RT is an amazing machine and quite a leap from the '13 and prior RTs. There are lots of windshields out there and I'm sure you can get opinions galore on the virtues of each. AeroFlow is a long established choice by many RT riders. I would love to get your feed back after some miles as my next farkle will be to change out the stock screen for, one of the many great choices out there.

There sure are lots of windscreen options. Hopefully, the AeroFlow will work out. After some miles, I will let you know.

Welcome neighbor! :thumbsup: Great bike! :thumbsup: Regarding your post about riding suits, I'm on year 21 with my Stitch and still going strong. Granted, the styling is getting long in the tooth compared with what's out there but its service life kinda justifies the cost of admission.

Pat

RT... welcome on-board... lots of good info here as well as friends you haven't met yet.

As for those ear-plugs... go ahead and toss those things out. Get some real, honest-to-gosh... custom fitted ear protectors made for motorcycle riders and those who work in noisy environments.... made by a professional... to fit Your ears.

If you want to save your hearing, ear-plugs are less than optimum and are about half of what you need.

If you ride out to the BMW MOA Rally there will probably be someone who can do that job for you... or ask around where you live.

.....As for those ear-plugs... go ahead and toss those things out. Get some real, honest-to-gosh... custom fitted ear protectors made for motorcycle riders and those who work in noisy environments....made by a professional... to fit Your ears.

Absolutely get custom ear plugs or custom molded ear buds if you will be lessening to your GPS directions or music on long rides. I use custom ear plugs with 25 DB filters for the motorcycle, cutting grass or when using loud power tools, and at night when sharing a motel room with a fellow rider. :thumbsup:

Hello to you neighbor! Just passed your neck of the wood earlier today after registering the RT. Took 119 W to Brattleboro and did a loop back home.

Just a note: I did a 245 mile ride earlier to "test" the RT out. Because this is a break-in period, I tried to stick to back roads(variable speeds, etc) to the greatest possible extent. As far as the bikes performance, I can say nothing negative at all. I LOVE the way it rides and handles. But, after about 100 miles, my butt really started to hurt...by the end of the ride, it was really uncomfortable. I felt like I kept sliding forward in the seat which caused undo tightening of my pants in the crotch area, which wasn't very comfortable either. Also, my knees were extremely cramped and painful after about 120-150 miles. After my ride, I jumped in the pool and had no lasting pains...all is fine. Coming from a HD touring bike, this riding position is very new to me. From the waist-up, I love the riding position on the RT...very natural and forgiving to the back. I did take a couple of breaks to stretch my legs and grab quick bite. As far as the butt pain, I'm guessing an aftermarket seat will take care of that. Would love recommendations. As far as the feeling like I was sliding forward, not sure if an aftermarket seat will take care of that. The knees issue might be a tough one to address. Can't see where highway pegs would go on the bike. The good news: my ears are fine, no worse than previous.

Welcome. The new RT's are great....You've just experienced the famed 2x4 covered with a thin layer of foam BMW calls a seat.

You need an after market seat if you are going to solve this issue. There are multiple makes and you will shortly hear from many proclaiming their favorite. My personal favorite is the Russell Day Long. I'm on my 3rd over 3 new BMW's. It's wider and spreads out the load. It's potential downside is it is about 1-2 inches taller than factory, but you learn how to use it if you are vertically challenged say less than 5'9". It truly is a day long seat. Clicking off a 600 mile day is not an issue.

Some of the more common ones are Bill Mayer, Corbin, and Sargent.

If you are coming off of HD...think of it as similar to changing the exhaust to VanceHines or other upgrade. No chrome to buy here so you will be ahead.

You're going to love this bike after break-in.

Jeff in VA

BMW seats are about as comfortable as a brick. I’ve had only one BMW (a K1200LT) that had a good one. My GS has a Sargent that I would rate as good, but not great. It is my 3rd Sargent and I am a bit disappointed with it. I’m considering a Russell, but a bit concerned about the extra height.

Great bike you have there no two ways about it and I love the white. As far as seats go all you need to know is Russell Day Long and you are set for life in the seat department. As far as wind screens go it's Cee Bailey all the way with the reverse curve at the top.

I have a Russell on order for my new to me '10 FJR1300 but I may cancel because it seems my '93 R1100RSL fits me better and I can't figure out why. The Yamaha causes fatigue on short rides compared to the RSL. I have a bad disc in my lower back that actually feels better after a ride on the BMW but worse on the FJR. I do have a Russell on the BMW. I'm going to schedule a test ride next week on the new R1200RT. I can't part with the RSL but I could the Yamaha. Not intending to knock the FJR it just isn't apples and apples.

I have heard great things about the Russell Day Long seat and may order it. That will mean me changing my (on the way) AeroFlow screen from a medium to a large.

I had one on my prior bike, they really are Day Long saddles. :thumbsup: It should help with the knee bend issue also because it's going to lift you a little higher.

Bad part, you need to give up your stock seat for a few weeks because they build off of it. I don't think they've come up with an exchange program or are supplying pans.

Pat

Shiny Side Up
Chris K saved my ass :grin: years ago with this suggestion.

They are remarkable riding shorts!

LD Comfort.

http://ldcomfort.com/Mens-Riding-Shorts.html

Pat

+100 - use them for LD riding and have never looked back.

I have no complaints about the seat on my 2004 RT. Seems to fit me well and can easily do Ride LD events with no discomfort. Everyone's different - YMMV.

Ilium Works makes a robust highway peg mount for the RT. Unfortunately, they know the playbook! :/

Bring More Wampum

Pat

Very cool. I like that. Low profile too. If the aftermarket seat doesn't spare my knees, I'll spring for these. You guys are really great here!

... But, after about 100 miles, my butt really started to hurt...by the end of the ride, it was really uncomfortable.

Yup lots of posts on the seat not being too comfy. In fact I prioritized an aftermarket seat ahead of a windshield upgrade. A really dead butt will make you forget about wind noise and buffeting. A really sad situation to have a mile cruncher bike like the RT limited to the range of a peanut tanked sportster due to dead butt.

My '99 RT was that same and I put on a Russell Day Long, but you have to give up your stock seat pans, or find some used ones on line. The Day Long seat is truly that. On my '15 RT I went with a semi custom seat from Sargent. It has its own pans and retains the OEM connection and control of the heated seat. The Sargent is much more comfortable than stock but not as comfortable as my Day Long was. My wife says the Sargent and the Day Long are equally comfy from the pillions seat. I can get about 3-4 hours before I need to take a break. I was getting maybe 1 to 1.5 hours with the OEM seat.

Both my Russell and Sargent keep you from sliding forward, when cruising along, but I prefer my Sargent for riding frisky as it does allow more ease to move around on the saddle

Sweet looking ride. I was at the dealer last week to see if the had a white one on the floor but they had sold the ones they had.

... But, after about 100 miles, my butt really started to hurt...by the end of the ride, it was really uncomfortable.

Yup lots of posts on the seat not being too comfy. In fact I prioritized an aftermarket seat ahead of a windshield upgrade. A really dead butt will make you forget about wind noise and buffeting. A really sad situation to have a mile cruncher bike like the RT limited to the range of a peanut tanked sportster due to dead butt.

My '99 RT was that same and I put on a Russell Day Long, but you have to give up your stock seat pans, or find some used ones on line. The Day Long seat is truly that. On my '15 RT I went with a semi custom seat from Sargent. It has its own pans and retains the OEM connection and control of the heated seat. The Sargent is much more comfortable than stock but not as comfortable as my Day Long was. My wife says the Sargent and the Day Long are equally comfy from the pillions seat. I can get about 3-4 hours before I need to take a break. I was getting maybe 1 to 1.5 hours with the OEM seat.

Both my Russell and Sargent keep you from sliding forward, when cruising along, but I prefer my Sargent for riding frisky as it does allow more ease to move around on the saddle

Thanks for the compliments! What a motorcycle this is! I love the white color as well...I've always liked white bikes. The top case is currently being painted white, to match the bike. I'm sure it's going to look beautiful.

Some observations/questions I have on the RT: the directionals take an awfully long time to "self-cancel". I'm getting in the habit of cancelling them on my own. I fear that someone's going to pull out in front of me, anticipating me turning(when I'm not). Also, I have an iphone 7+ which doesn't fit in the compartment with the provided USB. Does anyone use a RAM Mount for their phone?. I just want a way to keep my phone charged, especially if traveling. Next, I fully admit to my stupidity when it comes to technology. I am having difficulty pairing my devices(iphone, Schuberth C3 Pro) with the RT. I will work on this again today and ask more specific questions later.

OK, everything is paired(C3 to bike/navigation, phone to navigation), but I'm getting no audio in C3. The loudspeakers are set to "off" and yes, the C3 is "on". I am reading the manual, but I'm obviously missing something here. Any ideas?

Try turning on your helmet device before powering up the bike. Sometimes I have to do it that way, sometimes not.

Pat

I appreciate it. Just gave that a shot and unfortunately, still no audio in the C3 from stereo or navigation.

.... Also, I have an iphone 7+ which doesn't fit in the compartment with the provided USB. Does anyone use a RAM Mount for their phone?.

Can't help with charging, but here's the setup I like. There might be something better for a '17, I'm on older stuff.

Perfect Squeeze (W/Ram ball option)

http://www.hondogarage.com/index.php/product/landing/perfect-squeeze-phone-mount

RAM ball (universal kit) - there are 100 options on the RAM ball, this is just the one which works best for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J43I56/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AG48EQ3TN25W7

Plus a F-F Ram Adapter bar (these come longer too if 1" isn't best for you)

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Composite-Double-Socket-1-Inch/dp/B005KWPJ04/ref=pd_bxgy_263_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B005KWPJ04&pd_rd_r=R1Y5D3X2D2NFP4JH1V7S&pd_rd_w=OhjQi&pd_rd_wg=wbW2z&psc=1&refRID=R1Y5D3X2D2NFP4JH1V7S

Again, everything is paired, but no sound to the helmet. I brought it to the dealer and they said I should have been all set(after they fiddled with it). Just in case it didn't work, he gave me instructions to unpair everything and re-pair in a specific order. Well, the unit did not work when I left the dealer and after following his instructions when I got home, it still didn't work. I know there must be a solution out there, but I sure don't have it(yet)! :)