IGNORED

2004 r1150r rockster gearing

eliastfk93

Hello all, I just got back into riding after a 2 year hiatus. I just purchased an 04 r1150r rockster, and I love the bike but I have a question about the gearing, specifically 6th gear. When cruising at 80 mph on the highway, the bike is turning over about 4100rpm's, and I feel a little guilty for keeping it up there for extended periods of time. Is it safe to hold the bike there on a long trip? My previous bike was an 04 1150r standard model, and I remember it being slightly more relaxed at those speeds.

Hello all, I just got back into riding after a 2 year hiatus. I just purchased an 04 r1150r rockster, and I love the bike but I have a question about the gearing, specifically 6th gear. When cruising at 80 mph on the highway, the bike is turning over about 4100rpm's, and I feel a little guilty for keeping it up there for extended periods of time. Is it safe to hold the bike there on a long trip? My previous bike was an 04 1150r standard model, and I remember it being slightly more relaxed at those speeds.

Morning eliastfk93

4100 rpm's sure won't hurt it, a LOT of us run the BMW boxers at much higher RPM's than that for extended runs with camping gear and/or a passenger on the bike. You are better off running it at 4K than running it at 2K in high gear.

eliastfk93

Thanks dirtrider! Just wanted to double check. I also spoke with a family member in europe that's been into bmw boxers since the 70's and he also informed me that it's no issue. He also told me the transmission in the rockster is the same unit that was in the 1150 gsa, so that makes sense and gives me even more peace of mind.