IGNORED

1200RT - Looking...

Shiny Side Up

Shiny Side Up

Hey guys,

Presently on a 2004 R1150RT and looking to move into the hexhead world.

Really not too familiar with the newer 1200's but absolutely love the way they look and run. I'm considering all years but would like to have the electronic cruise control.

Is there what one might call a "good year" for these motorcycles? By that I mean a year where any glitch occurrences started becoming fewer.

(All motorcycles have their issues - my friend just paid almost $600.00 for a new alternator for his ST1300!!)

Thanks in advance!!

Hey guys,

Really not too familiar with the newer 1200's but absolutely love the way they look and run. I'm considering all years but would like to have the electronic cruise control.

Is there what one might call a "good year" for these motorcycles? By that I mean a year where any glitch occurrences started becoming fewer.

(All motorcycles have their issues - my friend just paid almost $600.00 for a new alternator for his ST1300!!)

Thanks in advance!!

Morning Mike

A good rule of thumb is to buy the latest model in a model class.

So if you are looking at hexheads then then the 2009 would probably be the best. There were lots of running improvements from 2005 to 2009.

But there is always the money concern so that has to figured in also.

Shiny Side Up
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance!!

Morning Mike

A good rule of thumb is to buy the latest model in a model class.

So if you are looking at hexheads then then the 2009 would probably be the best. There were lots of running improvements from 2005 to 2009.

But there is always the money concern so that has to figured in also.

Thanks DR - yeah that money concern can always mess things up!! LOL!

greiffster
Does anyone have something they might like to add to DR's post above?

Only that the early hexheads '05s and '06s share the whizzy brakes similar to to your '04. You already know whether or not you like the system or would buy another bike with/without it.

Shiny Side Up
Does anyone have something they might like to add to DR's post above?

Only that the early hexheads '05s and '06s share the whizzy brakes similar to to your '04. You already know whether or not you like the system or would buy another bike with/without it.

Thank you sir!

Did not know that, but "whizzy" is fine with me... as long as they work! LOL!

greiffster

Thank you sir!

And the cost to repair when they don't. I liked my whizzy brakes fine. I didn't really understand the need for the servo pump, but the brakes worked great. The maintenance was a bit of a pain. But, the cost to repair the thing if it goes out is like north of 2 bills. Big bills.

So I looked for something later than '06.

Shiny Side Up

Thank you sir!

And the cost to repair when they don't. I liked my whizzy brakes fine. I didn't really understand the need for the servo pump, but the brakes worked great. The maintenance was a bit of a pain. But, the cost to repair the thing if it goes out is like north of 2 bills. Big bills.

So I looked for something later than '06.

Thanks for the information and advice - much appreciated!

Not sure if you do your own work, but if you do, sometime late '08 early '09 BMW moved the drain plug on the FD to 6 o'clock instead of 9 o'clock.

Still have to remove the wheel to fill the FD, but you don't need to disconnect the FD from the shaft to drain the oil.

Changing the FD oil on your 1150RT is a piece of cake compared to my '08.

My only bitch about my hexhead, and I'll continue to bitch until I get rid of her....

BTW, you'll love the CC. :thumbsup:

The newer models have a longer warranty on the fuel strip that goes out frequently. It was a recall, but BMW made it 12 years from purchase. So if you want the warranty until 2021, than buy an '09.

I have an '05 with the wizzy brakes. It has 72.5K on it. Love the bike !!!

The 08 and up have the dealer extortion light that can only be turned off by the dealer computer or a GS-911.

07 and earlier don't have it.

Shiny Side Up
The 08 and up have the dealer extortion light that can only be turned off by the dealer computer or a GS-911.

07 and earlier don't have it.

LOL!! :thumbsup:

Thanks Daniel

I really like my 05 even though it has had a number of expensive repairs over the last two years. I am going in for my fourth fuel stip next Saturday. Yes, the bike is past the 12 year mark but each fuel strip resets to a two year warranty and my last was installed a year ago.

I really like my 05 even though it has had a number of expensive repairs over the last two years. I am going in for my fourth fuel stip next Saturday. Yes, the bike is past the 12 year mark but each fuel strip resets to a two year warranty and my last was installed a year ago.

That's good to know. Thanks.

I'm coming up on 120k miles on my '06.

• 2 weeks later...