Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#991443 - 07/05/17 07:05 AM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - UN-Photos [Re: TyTass]  
TyTass Offline
TyTass  Offline

VA BEACH VA
Monday morning the sun greeted us poolside (below). A few of us, Greiffster & Nicole, LtlJohn, and Terri and I did a short morning ride to get acquainted with some of the Sweet 16 roads, as well as to hit one of the liquor stores ...

Whip, Steve, Chris, and John chatting away ... perhaps plotting a future UN.

Dale headed for the food with Bob gesticulating to Chris presumably about flat tires.

Our barkeep and Dave, who appears puzzled by his choice of beverage.

Dave and D'Anna listen as Ken starts the story-telling (oops,
I mean the lying).

Bernie's grandson Tyler with a couple bad influences: Bob and Mark.

MORE TO COME ...

Last edited by TyTass; 07/05/17 08:21 PM.

Craig
11 R1200GSA (aka Big Bird)
04 R1150RT (Sold)

"The fool, with all his other faults, has this also, he is always getting ready to live." Seneca
#991476 - 07/05/17 02:49 PM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - UN-Photos [Re: TyTass]  
Bud Offline
95% of an RT
Bud  Offline
95% of an RT

Southern Illinois
clap clap clap clap clap

95% of an RT.

I haven't had too many Beemers, I just don't have enough time.
#991508 - 07/05/17 08:17 PM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - UN-Photos [Re: TyTass]  
TyTass Offline
TyTass  Offline

VA BEACH VA
CONTINUATION OF MONDAY EVE KICK-OFF PARTY ...

Here's Jim just a-smiling away ... possibly because Jim is always smiling. He is after all a Canadian. tongue

Keith ... really excited to get out on the road. revit

Brian and son, Corey, looking happy to be there. And we were fortunate to have them there ... great peeps! clap

New friends to Terri and me dance , Christine and Mike on the eve of enjoying roads they don't have in Iowa. bike

Robert and Susan listening intently ...

Just too cute ... Karen & Louise. thumbsup

There's just no way this table is up to any good! Brian, Jake, Mike, Nicol, Alan, & Matt. Sheesh! stir

This pic is a bit blurry, but then I believe Roger, Leslie, and I actually were a bit blurry by then. beer

Gary, in all the way from OR, and his friend Dale from PA. Its great to be part of getting old friends back together! wave

Mark & Karl enjoying a bit of conversation. No extreme embellishments, arms waving, but that doesn't mean everything they're saying is true! smirk

Chris exclaiming, "Shoosh! Everybody shut up! He's here!" as Richard joins the party. ohboy

Karl holding forth, while Barry, John, and others listen. Not certain who the others are ... my eyes are failing me. confused

Perry, Lynn (I think) and a victim of my early onset dimentia pre-positioning, getting prime real estate around the firepit prior to the night's activities. cuz

Andy and Burt being very polite by appearing even somewhat interested in the ramblings emanating from my mouth. yes

Terri has long said (pronounced; lamented) that I would talk to a anyone. Here I am talking to a stone pillar! I don't recall if it said anything in response. Well it wasn't important anyway. facepalm

Last edited by TyTass; 07/19/17 08:45 AM.

Craig
04 R1150RT (Sold)

"The fool, with all his other faults, has this also, he is always getting ready to live." Seneca
#991513 - 07/05/17 08:44 PM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - UN-Photos [Re: TyTass]  
greiffster Offline
Administrator
greiffster  Offline

Administrator

Clarksville, Tennessee
Originally Posted By: TyTass

Karl holding forth, while Barry, John, and others listen. Not certain who the others are ... my eyes are failing me. confused

Well that's me nursing a Dirty Girl Blonde while Nicol stirs her Margarita. Jake put me in charge of protecting his box of Padron Family Reserves, which is like the fox guarding the hen house.

-Mike
'08 GSA
"If I don't like it, I'm not blaming myself!"
K. Greiff
"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."
M. Jagger
#991523 - 07/05/17 09:15 PM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - UN-Photos [Re: greiffster]  
TyTass Offline
TyTass  Offline

VA BEACH VA
Not "likely" it IS the fox guarding the hen house. How were they BTW?

Craig
04 R1150RT (Sold)

#991524 - 07/05/17 09:23 PM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - UN-Photos [Re: TyTass]  
greiffster Offline
Administrator
greiffster  Offline

Administrator

Clarksville, Tennessee

Tasty. Jake's got a guy...who knows a guy...

-Mike
'08 GSA
"If I don't like it, I'm not blaming myself!"
K. Greiff
"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."
M. Jagger
#991539 - 07/05/17 11:15 PM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - UN-Photos [Re: TyTass]  
TyTass Offline
TyTass  Offline

VA BEACH VA
TUESDAY Ride and Evening ...

Tuesday morning, we got a late start, just as we had the morning prior. (If you're noticing a trend here, you might be on to something.) We decided to run the Highway to Helen routes. We stopped at Cullasaja Falls shortly before Highlands on the Waterfalls Scenic Byway (US-64/SR-28) to snap a few pics that follow. However, just before arriving, we were following a bit of traffic. Two curves before the falls pullout, a fool in a Jeep Cherokee (I think) decided to cut a mild right hander short. His right tires ramped up the start of the rock wall, almost launching him over the guardrail. Bonehead! Well, he did have enough wits to turn left rather than continue his trajectory. (I remain amazed how few people can track in their lane, and at 20 mph, there's just no excuse for it.) Anyway, here a quick pic from the pullout ...

Cullasaja again with a bit of zoom.

Bridal Veil Falls just a few miles away was blocked off to traffic, so we proceeded on. As expected, SR-28 South out of Highlands was a hoot just as was Warwoman Rd. After a bit of a wait we had lunch at Hofers in Helen. As good as it was the last time we were in Helen. Mike, Nicol, Terri, and I bought delicious pretzels to take back to Fontana to nosh by the fire pit. We screwed up by not buying a jar of the really good mustard.

With little time left, we headed back via the short return leg, route A. The Richard B. Russell didn't disappoint but US-64 West of Franklin did. They were paving and we must have waited for 20 minutes in the sun. Shortly after escaping the construction, we hit Wayah Rd. After a bit I saw rider coming up from behind. When they passed I could see it was Bernie riding 2-up with his grandson, Tyler. Keith was in hot pursuit. I decided to knock off my usually moderate 2-up pace and join Keith in a game of Chasing Bernie. Terri isn't used to us riding very fast when together, so that was a bit of a surprise to her. For the most part we kept up, didn't blow any corners, and I managed not to launch Terri over my head when braking for some of the sharper curves. I did however goof up and shifted into neutral right before a sharp right-hander. Ya know, it's kinda difficult to keep up when you screw up like that. But suffice it to say, eventually we did catch up again and had a blast.

Thanks Bernie! It's nice to have someone else lead, to ensure the path was clear, which of course enabled me to ride more quickly than my comparatively sedate pace.

Wayah was unusually clean ... cleaner than I've ever seen it.
Some new pavement, but of course some old, rutted chip seal that was fun ... not to mention a couple dirty/gravelly spots that broke the tires loose just long enough to snowplow a clean spot. The most exciting thing was the bridge under construction, narrowing to one lane with boards that were not all secured to the beams. I hope the video captured the board being kicked up a few inches by Keith's rear wheel. Thankfully it settled in just before we crossed.

After another bridge there was a pullout with enough room for everyone to pull over. After some high fives, and some quick lies already being quickly concocted, we were joined by Mike and Christine, to whom Wayah seemed messy and untrustworthy at speed. We all chatted a while, happy for a break, and took some photos.

I loved that last bit most of all. Meeting up with another group of riders, everyone excited about their separate and yet similar experiences. As I said, I hope all this come through on the video I shot with my GoPro. Then again, perhaps not. Either way it'll be a while before I see it as I shot 156 GB of video last week and haven't even started downloading yet.

I must be concocting one of those lies and telling it to Bernie. You can tell because my lips appear to be moving.

I must not be telling lies to Keith here because you can't see my lips moving.

After running a few swag bags to a few folks that hadn't made it to the marathon check-in on Monday afternoon, I settled into group gathered around the firepit. Some folks will say there wasn't much lying going on, but just look how annoyed Burt seems to be that Terri would record the lies. Ooh look! You can see my mouth moving again.

Another angle so people cant deny participation in the lying circle.

As the night grew deeper, the discussion moved to the upper pool deck ... where cigars were being smoke furiously. Tommy Roe, his son-in-law Nate, and a few others settled in for a casual conversation that ended as a serious discussion where Tommy and I discovered we were alone AND had already solved all the world's problems ... and that by 3:45! How fortuitous!

All in all a great day at the UN.

Last edited by TyTass; 07/05/17 11:17 PM.

Craig
04 R1150RT (Sold)

#991552 - 07/06/17 01:37 AM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - UN-Photos [Re: TyTass]  
Bernie Offline
Bernie  Offline

Jax, FL
Great tale, Craig. Keep it up and it is funny too. wave

Oh you forgot about Mike and Nicol. They also caught up to us at the pull out.

Bernie
Jax, FL
2018 R1200RT, Alpinweiss, starting out fresh.
2007 R1200RT, Double Silver 188,700 Smiles, SOLD
2000 R1100RT, Opal 104,000 Smiles, SOLD
BMW-MOA, BMW-RA,
AMA, BMW-NEF,
#991603 - 07/06/17 03:12 PM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - UN-Photos [Re: greiffster]  
Matts_12GS Offline
Matts_12GS  Offline

Enfield, CT
Originally Posted By: greiffster

Tasty. Jake's got a guy...who knows a guy...

I know where the rest are...

Matt

2005 1200GS (Traveller)
IBA 37694

" ...if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else? " --Ronald Reagan
#991677 - 07/07/17 01:03 PM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - UN-Photos [Re: Bernie]  
TyTass Offline
TyTass  Offline

VA BEACH VA
Originally Posted By: Bernie
Great tale, Craig. Keep it up and it is funny too. wave

Oh you forgot about Mike and Nicol. They also caught up to us at the pull out.

Well, I did mention they were riding with us, but you're right, I didn't mention that the stopped with us. They were just a minute behind us. In fact, the picture I posted of Keith and I chatting actually shows us in front of their bike, blocking the view of the two of them. Here's another pic without Keith and me in the way.

Here's the complement picture of Tyler taking the picture of Terri taking the picture of him that you posted:

Last edited by TyTass; 07/07/17 02:19 PM.

Craig
04 R1150RT (Sold)

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  EffBee